SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
callawaym

Help with Living Room Layout & furniture choices with opposite views

callawaym
last year
last modified: last year

We are opening up our living room to include what is currently a screened porch. The attached image shows the dimensions of the current layout, the blue highlighter surrounds the whole space, the green shows where we'll have a dining area, the orange highlight shows the wall being taken away to open it all up. The current living room is long and narrow, approx, 29' 4" x 8' 8" and has a lovely large open fireplace. The porch is also long and narrow, approx 34' x 9'4". (you see total square footage more precisely on the image.) We are on the water so the view opposite the fireplace is the most important year-round feature. All three walls that are currently screens will be windows. There will still be an exterior door going out the middle of that wall of windows. We will have a kicker wall of approximately 2 feet on those walls to accommodate electric. Depending on the cost of bringing up the porch floor we may end up with a step down into that section of the space. A TV will be going into the room, i think either over the fireplace or on the wall that is between that room and bedroom 1. I hate to have a TV over the fireplace, but I do want one in the room, so willing to do that if it ends up being the best option. Otherwise there are 3 directions to face! Fireplace, TV, River... swivel everywhere?? Back to back couches? Sectionals? Trying to figure out furniture groupings with the opposing views and little wall space. Also dreading the likelihood that there will be a single shallow step in the middle which makes furniture placement even more difficult. We are on a slab so no way to include electric outlets in the floor, I guess if we have lamps on side tables in the middle anywhere they'll be battery powered. Also, note the pass through needed in front of the fireplace to the hall next to it where the bedrooms are so that area needs to have an easy walking path. We are open to buying all new LR furniture to make this work. We currently have a small table in the LR as a desk and might like to include desk space as well, although could plan to move desk into a bedroom. FYI, the current closet between that room and the kitchen will likely go away as well to open the space between the kitchen and the LR/view. There are just two of us here, although we have family and others over regularly to entertain. Would love furniture layout ideas for the overall space. Thanks!!

I’ve added photos of the current spaces just as fyi.

Comments (2)