SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fleshbits

Stopping Bermuda from spreading under fencing

fleshbits
last year

My entire yard is now grass free, covered in a foot of mulch, with rows of vegetables and flowers. It is a constant battle for me to go out, pull back the mulch, turn over the turf with a shovel, and pull any grass I can, as it spreads under the fence from neighboring yards.

I've tried digging a foot deep trench, but the grass just crawls down and then back up again.

I was recently thinking about letting there be a trench under the fence so water can still travel, but digging a section on my side about 4 inches from the fence, inserting 1 foot paver stones, vertically, I can get from home depot for a buck a piece, as a wall to block the grass, and wrapping them around where two stones meet with some cut weed fabric and stapling it to itself.

I'd still have to get in there and hand pull or weed whack for that 4 inches, but at maybe the grass wouldn't creep via stems and rhyzomes, only seed if it gets tall, making it more managable.

A neighbor did stones with weed fabric right up against the fence, and problem with that is it traps their irrigation water and rots the bottom of the fence. I was thinking it is a good idea if applied 4 inches away to let the fence contact air.

Thoughts or alternatives? Do you think this will work? Is there a more cost effective, chemical free solution?

Comment (1)