Houzz Logo Print
glenda_smith6

*of course I do

glenda smith
last month

Comments (41)

• Deb_Ab ;)
    last month

Mine is in a box somewhere, but I do still have mine.

• maggie200
    last month

The greatest. i don't remember one before it . is it old. i don't think so. 20 years.

• Related Discussions

The Best-Laid Plans . . .

Q

Comments (1)
    That's so disappointing! Weeping China Doll on a standard is incredibly beautiful so I think you made a great choice. I would have done the same. Why be unhappy with what they were going to send. At least they told you honestly so you could still try and find them somewhere else.
    ...See More

maybe you know...ornamental pepper

Q

Comments (9)
    Technically, all peppers are edible, BUT it depends on how they are grown. If you purchase an ornamental pepper plant from a garden center or big box the original grower's intention was probably to supply cute looking peppers plants for "looks only" ie. they may have used insecticides on their pepper plants (like they would on regular flower plants) that are not safe for human consumption. Of course, if you're buying non-ornamental starts, the supplier knows they will be used for human consumption and will grow accordingly. If you grow them yourself without using hazardous chemicals, you can eat away. Bill
    ...See More

My weekend; should I laugh, or cry??? Long (of course!)

Q

Comments (8)
    Sorry Caroline I am sitting here laughing my fool head off. Of course I am also glad it happened to you and not to me. If anyone could pull this off it is you. Your bathroom woes brings back memories of my own remodeling problems with my so called contractor. Just think in a few weeks (if your lucky) you will have a beautiful bathroom to relax in. Just be careful climbing into that tub in the meantime. lol
    ...See More

Walnut Vanity - Finishes

Q

Comments (13)
    You could use the satin finish in the bottom one. the urethane wipe on. easy to apply w/a rag. (or have him do it) I used that one on my walnut block bar top. forgot about this one! I just refinished it a few months ago and used that satin one pictured above. wipe on. (the scratches are from the cats claws!) I did a few coats, fine sanding in between. (you can wet sand w/a 600 grit) the Deft sealer is also nice, but it is a water base brush on. I like the GF one because it's easier to apply w/the rag. no brush marks. and oil tends to hold up a bit better.
    ...See More
  • Lars
    last month
    last modified: last month

I had a much larger one that I remember from the early 1980s that I had bought mainly because it was a good radio. The wooden frame made a good sound, and I used it to listen to KUSF in San Francisco, an alternative radio station that played New Wave music from UK and Germany. The radio also lasted forever, but it did not have a battery back-up. Before the 1980s I did not have an alarm clock, and I just got up whenever.

One disc jockey I remember from the early 80s was Howie Klein. I was on a city bus with him at one time in SF, and I recognized him from his voice (very strong Brooklyn accent), as he was complaining to someone about how his car had been stolen.

Today I listen to KXLU (Westchester) when in L.A. (also an alternative station). I have my clock radio in Cathedral City set to KWXY, but this station plays vintage music mostly from the 1950s and early 1960s, primarily lounge music, and it is often too soothing to really wake me up - at least until the DJ's voice comes on. They often play Johnny Mathis, and that puts me back to sleep.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    last month

I remember my first digital clock when I was a young teen...an xmas present. Only it was pre-electronic...it had a drum with the digits on plastic cards attached and as the drum turned slowly, a new number would flip down.

• foodonastump
    last month

Alarm clock? That’s no alarm clock, it’s a clock radio!

Yep I had that, or one very similar. I don’t specifically remember the slanted buttons but I can’t say for sure mine didn’t have them, either.

I haven’t thought about this clock radio in a long time, but one I do often think about is a predecessor which I never owned. The one with flip numbers which would click every minute. Remember this guy? They’re asking $85 on eBay:

(edit - just bow seeing Annie and I had the same idea)

• Kathsgrdn
    last month

I still have that by my bed, Glenda, lol. Foodonastump, I had that one when I was a teenager. lol

• eld6161
    last month

If I was in NY now I could show you we still use it! It was DH’s.

• nickel_kg
    last month

In high school I had the flippy-number model. Most of my adult life was the one Glenda posted. You had to be very careful with that slider button turning the alarm to on, off, alarm 1, or alarm 2 -- so easy to accidentally click it to the wrong position.

I was so happy to retire and to NOT HAVE a clock in the bedroom, staring me in the face, mocking me with how little time for sleep remained.

• nicole___
    last month

We "had" that GE clock AND the one Annie shows. I remember the 'click' sound when the numbers flipped over....

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    last month

My digital clock in the early 80s was by Sony and white.

• dedtired
    last month

I still have the clock radio that Glenda posted. Not sure where it is at the moment.

I also had one that Annie posted except one of the flipping numbers fell off and the time was always wacky.

• Bookwoman
    last month

I have a similar one, with two alarms, purchased in 1985, that's still on my nightstand. I love it. They're for sale on Etsy, Amazon, etc.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last month

I've had many clock radios, both LCD and flip card types, and up until a few years ago, I still used one, but now I have phones - and I always wake up before the alarm goes off anyway, so it's moot.

Not sure if any were that exact model, tho.

And I can still hear the beep sound in my mind.

• amylou321
    last month

Oh man, that horrible sound that came out of those. My mom found delight in irritating us out of bed every day, and those horrible alarms were a favorite tool of hers.

"EH-EH-EH-EH-EH-EH-EH-EH-EH!!!!!!"

Ooooo the memory makes me want to scream.

My father finally replaced it with a clock radio, which woke us up with music everyday. Of course, us girls were only allowed to listen to country music when we were very young, so it wasn't all that much better but it wasn't as traumatic an awakening as that horrible alarm sound.

When I moved my mom tried to push me to take both devices with me. I refused, but found that she had snuck them into my things. I threw them out.

My alarm sound on my phone now is the theme from The Munsters. Except in November and December, when it is a Christmas song of some sort. A much better way to start ones daily routine!!!

last month

How many of you still use this kind of clock radio? Anyone?

And if you are not using it, why have you kept it? I ask genuinely due to all the threads about excessive stuff in people's houses needing sorting when they are gone.

• Bookwoman
    last month

Yes, I still use it. I like the red numbers, which aren't as bright and disturbing as some of the newer clocks. When I do need to be up at a certain time, I can set it to the local classical station so there's no annoying beeping. My cell is always turned off at night, since we have a landline that our nearest and dearest know to use.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last month

FWIW, I took my last clock radio to work because my wall clock died and I find it useful since it has a very bright, easy to read display. It had been sitting in our garage, getting dusty.

last month

This thread reminds me of how much I miss waking up to the real/previous Morning Edition theme song.

• lily316
    last month

I have a sound machine which I think is a radio too but I've never used it. It's a Sharper Image.

• bpath
    last month

Now I'm hearing (click flip) I Got You Babe.

• glenda smith
    Original Author
    last month

Use Alexa NOW as my alarm

• chloebud
    last month

“And if you are not using it, why have you kept it?“

Excellent point, Zalco! I pleade guilty. 🥴

• LynnNM
    last month

Yep, that was ours exactly (LOL)!

• marilyn_c
    last month

The ones that flip numbers are big sellers on eBay.

• Elmer J Fudd
    last month

I think the key to glenda's comment is the phrase "at one time". Today, I think these are quite rare and my guess is unlikely to be used by anyone under 50 years of age or so, the age groups who almost universally embrace and rely on the capabilities of a smart phone.

• desertsteph
    last month

I threw mine out a few yrs ago. it was white but so yellowed with age I didn't think it was fit for even GW.

• adellabedella_usa
    last month

Dh has the one Glenda posted. It is still on his nightstand although he unplugged it sometime in the last three months. We don't use it.

• Kathsgrdn
    last month

I still use mine.

• Lars
    last month

I also turn my phone off at night because I do not want to be disturbed by random texts or spam phone calls, which I rarely get, but I don't want to take the chance. I like being woken up by the radio, and I like the morning DJ's. I don't use it unless I have a morning appointment, however, and lately I've been getting up too early anyway.

Amylou, how could your father have forced you to listen to country music? I would never have allowed that as a child, but I was brought up listening to classical music by my mother. My father did like country music, but my mother put strict limits on that. He could only listen to it when he was out in his pickup or trucks.

• Elmer J Fudd
    last month

Lars, phones have a Do Not Disturb feature. You can choose a time interval for phone, email and or message sounds and notifications to be silent. An alarm sound however will be heard.

• amylou321
    last month

Well, it was mainly my mother Lars. My brothers could listen to what they wanted. We girls were certainly not allowed to listen to any sort of pop or R&B and FORGET rap music. Of course we heard it via our brothers listening to it. I do not know what her problem was with other types of music, or why she only banned her daughters from listening to it. But she eventually let it go and gave up on trying to keep stuff from that away from us. My father probably had no idea of the rule anyway, we listened to classical music in the car when he was driving. (He hated that horrible shriek the alarm made too, which is why he replaced it. It could be heard all the way through the house and yard.

• Kathsgrdn
    last month

I just realized that my clock radio is pretty old and is still working, which is amazing when you think of newer appliances and how long they last. Like for instance, my 2-4 year old Sunbeam mattress pad, which has completely died now. My clock radio is probably close to 30 years old.

• OutsidePlaying
    last month

I did have one exactly like that. I’m sure it died as we no longer have it.

• happy2b…gw
    last month

I have and use several Sony clock radios. I have no plans to retire them.

This one has been on my nightstand for almost forever. It hums once in awhile, but it has not died yet.

I have two of these which are in guest rooms. My grandkids unplugged it to plug in their phones while they visited.

• chisue
    last month

Lessee... ours must date from 1987, because I remember DS was learning to drive. He and I went to a Service Merchandise store to buy his dad a clock radio for Christmas. That ugly brown thing is still taking up space on DH's bedside chest. It's a royal pain adjust the time, and the box requires a firm rap from time to time -- to dislodge whatever dust or spider is in the speaker. Without the sentimental connection, it would be long gone.

On my bedside chest is a slightly more recent egg shaped blob, a Sony Dream Machine clock/radio/CD player. Where *else* could I listen to my old CDs?

• Lars
    last month

This is the one I have in L.A. right now. It has a function that will allow me to go to sleep to music for a period of time that I determine, but I have not used that feature. The sound from the radio is reasonably good, but not as good as the old wooden one I had in San Francisco.

This is the one I have in Cathedral City, and I bought this one instead of the first one because it is easier to adjust the radio volume on the second one.

I put my old clock radio ( which is egg shaped) beside the BluRay player under the TV in the living room in L.A. so that I will have an easy to read clock there. This lets me know when it is getting close to a time to change the channel. My brother gave this one to me when he got a new one for himself.

Amylou, rap music did not exist when I was a child, but I did listen to R&B radio stations from Louisiana, as there weren't any in Texas that I could get. I think there was one in Houston, but it was not powerful enough for me to receive, but the ones in Louisiana were, for some reason.

Otherwise I listened to Top 40 stations from San Antonio. More than half of the stations in central Texas were C&W when I was a child, but the local radio station was not, and it would broadcast in Czech on Sundays and play polka music. At night I got a lot of radio stations from Mexico that were very loud, since they did not have the wattage restrictions that the U.S. had and would broadcast with 250,000 watts. The U.S. limit was 50,000 watts back then. Anyway, I got several stations from Monterrey, Mexico loud and clear. At night, I could also get WLS in Chicago and KOMA in Oklahoma City. I listened to those mostly when I was driving. The San Antonio stations were weaker at night, and so I could listen to them only during the day.

• lizzie_grow
    last month

I have the one Glenda posted. It's in the guest bath in case someone wants music & knowing what time it is!! I am tres old!!!

• colleenoz
    last month

Many, many years ago I went back to the US and went to visit my Aunt and cousins and stay with them. I was very tired after the long trip and was staying in my (then adult) cousins’ former bedroom.

I remember waking up and noticing there was a quiet ”tick...tick...tick” sound somewhere in the room. I was trying to work out what the heck it was, when it suddenly dawned on me...it was the numbers flipping over on the clock radio :-D

• bpath
    last month

My clock radio picked up radio stations from all across the country, late at night. That was so fun!

• blubird
    last month

I have the circled clock/radio/telephone in my current guestroom. It works perfectly.

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    last month

I still have a similar one on my workbench that I use for the clock but haven't turned on the radio in decades.