SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sconset123

How important is a primary bedroom suite?

sconset123
last year

I realize that this question is highly subjective (and regional), so I’m really looking for a cross-section of opinions.

How critical is it to you that your house has a primary bedroom w/ ensuite bath?

My current home was built in 1900 and the 4 bedrooms on the second floor all share a hall bath. There is a 5th bedroom and another hall bath on the 3rd floor, but they are both on the smaller side.

I’m working with an architect on a house remodel, and I’m considering whether or not it’s worthwhile to reconfigure the 2nd floor to create a primary suite with a newly added ensuite bathroom. The anticipated price tag is pretty high, so this is why I’d love to hear some opinions.

For additional context, we are a 4 person household and I’m thinking ahead to my kids’ teenage years, but also considering future resale. Most of the houses in my area are older, so it’s pretty common to not have a primary bedroom suite (and plenty of these homes sell immediately for $$$ over asking price in this market).

I’ll also be seeking opinions from trusted realtors in my area, but wanted to ask here as well. Would you pass on a house that does not have a primary bedroom suite?

Comments (19)