SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nuix

Half Bath / Laundry Room -- Split them up or Lose a Bathroom?

nuix
last year

First, thank you for taking time out of your day to read this. I really appreciate it!

I just bought a house in Connecticut. It's a 1960s split level (see attached floor plan for a general sense of the place). On the main floor, there is a combined half bath and laundry room. It doesn't do either of those jobs well. The washer and dryer the Sellers left behind are standard size and dominate the room. The door to the room is not centered on the wall, but is directly in front of the side of the washing machine. The dryer door is about half an inch from the toilet when open. It's cramped.

So far I've come up with two solutions:

1) Convert the space to a straight up laundry room and lose a half bath. Downsides that I can see include: guests having to go upstairs into the personal bedroom space to use the restroom, having to carry the laundry back and forth between the bedrooms and the laundry room, and dropping to a 3br / 2 bath for resale.

2) Convert the walk in closet in the master bedroom to a laundry space and make the half bath downstairs usable. Delete the door from the closet to the bedroom and add a door from the closet to the hallway. Downsides: Losing a walk in closet, laundry space is small and the door for it would be at the very top of the stairs, door to the attic would force the washer and dryer to go on the short wall where the door to the bedroom used to be.

I'd love opinions as to which way you would go, whether you see another option, and how you would lay out the space.

Convert Combo Bath/Laundry to just Laundry Room
Move Laundry Upstairs
Other

Comments (18)