SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rberesh73

Home entrance suggestions

rberesh73
last year

Hi all,

I'm looking to make more of a pop to my entrance. One of the ideas I'm contemplating is getting this mirror framed. What do you think would be a good direction to take it? If anyone has any photoshop or picture suggestions that is most welecome, thank you!

Comments (248)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year
    last modified: last year

oh well shoot, really? lmao. you painted them dark brown? yes they look black. So all this time I'm going on about black doors and matching it and now you're saying its brown? LOL.

So it's an espresso gel stain color?

in that case I'd paint that door a diff color. I agree w/flo on that one. play around w/some lighter tones if you like, or go dark, but leaving it white against that brown looks a bit unfinished.

for sure I'd bring in some greens in the way of plants, a white vase w/greet stems/leaves, maybe a potted plant on the side.

I like the lights Flo is suggesting in the neutral tones. That Kichler beaded one is nice unless you like something like this better

rberesh73 thanked Beth H. :
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Rug layout options. Ok. I recommend the 7’ round. You can center on front door and it will look great plus create nice traffic flow. A 5’ is too small.

• Related Discussions

Entry Exterior Suggestions.... Anyone have brick/shingle siding?

Q

Comments (2)
    Thanks for the kind words. My heart is typically drawn to one allover exterior, but am now fearing a brick entry would be overkill. Curious as to what a shingle/siding entry might look like as we are doing shingle siding on the dormers. I tried to repost with a different title but it may have gotten deleted. I have always love the cottage cedar shake look but was fearful of using in oklahoma. No one does it here unless you are in a historical district(like soonermagic) I wasn't crazy about doing a brick home with rock entry which everyone does here. I just couldn't fit the rock in with what I had in my mind. I guess I am still trying to find a cottage/beach house/hampton vibe in there somewhere....
    ...See More

Pavers stop short of the entry to home - what to do for the entry?

Q

Comments (4)
    Well, you have to ask yourself, "How much do you love that concrete?" As suggested, the low cost option would be to stain it. A higher cost choice, but more "lovely" in the long run, would be to get rid of the concrete and extend your existing, or complimentary pavers. A driveway just looks better when it extends all the way to a garage door. Just sayin.'
    ...See More

Suggestions for an entry and foyer for a home with a wall of windows?

Q

Comments (4)
    Wow, I’m not trying to be snarky, but I think invest in a really good outdoor rug to clean feet on and remove shoes, then just go put your shoes away. A little extra trouble but totally worth it. You have an incredible view, and there would not be anything I would do to obstruct that. That wall of windows, and really cool patio ... AMAZING.
    ...See More

design suggestions for center hall entrance on 700sq ft home

Q

Comments (2)
    You can make a space feel smaller by adding bulky furniture. several paint colors, and busy patterns on the walls and floor. Adding coats and shoes will make it smaller, too. So if you want to make it seem larger, do the opposite.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

I guessed at size of your console. So measure that to be sure.

• rberesh73
    Original Author
    last year

Just measured. My console is 4feet long, 1foot 6 inches deep and 2 feet 4 inches high

• rberesh73
    Original Author
    last year

Hi Beth, thank you for the lighting choices. Yes the entire house when I bought it was full of golden oak doors and trim on the main and upstairs levels. When I went to update the painter couldn't guarantee how a white would hold out so instead went with a rich espresso color instead. Repainting them won't be an option as I probably have 18 doors plus the trim painted that way.

• everdebz
    last year

You're helped by the pro's, but I'll still comment. I also thought that number of dark doors [stairs too] creates a stark presence. I still like the soft look of rectangular. If the stairs opened directly to the door, it'd be different.

Oh! what if stair runner had medium blue/ and neutral? where's the color!

15 W for 149.

Kesarre Boho Wood Bead 3-Light Dome Shaped Flush Mount Ceiling Light, Blue · More Info

rberesh73 thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    last year

Stairs could draw more focus with another neutral. See... the console/ mirror has had mock-up/ ideas, which will be good, but...

Transitional Staircase · More Info

Tuftex Spring Fashion Collection · More Info

• everdebz
    last year

It's not necessarily 'what will fit' in a space, because people will 'show off' so to speak, a chair, or art, wherever they want... I'm glad you are posting dimensions, needed.

• rberesh73
    Original Author
    last year

I definitely will do something with the runner. At the moment I'm thinking I might take it off and just stain the steps. I also had played with the ideas of perhaps getting the spindles replaced with iron spindles

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

I think your stairs are fine. Costly to change balusters. A new wider runner would be great but pick main rug first then get coordinating stair carpet. Curved staircases require custom cuts for good install so think about that. If you are going to change carpet on stairs, make this decision with rug decision. In that case, I would lean toward a tweed look for the stairs in black and beige then round rug in neutrals. Then add color in arrangement and other accessories. Your console is a bit deeper than my guess. But I would try it in stair curve. Then we can make it focal point. Then add large pot with Fiddle Fig tree to left of mirror with small bench. I will play with that concept later. These elements all have to play nice together. So get an overall concept before making permanent changes. 😉

rberesh73 thanked Flo Mangan
  • rberesh73
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks Flo. Look forward to seeing what you come up with. Can you show an example of what runner you’d go with? Would you be more inclined to replace the runner or remove the runner entirely?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

I would replace the runner if budget allows. You can get regular broadloom too and have it cut to fit stairs. Circular stairs means every stair is different at least where the curvature is. I am looking.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Here are some ideas. Various price points.

• everdebz
    last year

Heavens to Betsy, I can't imagine removing the accenting, and softening carpet on the stairs. The room is full of hard surfaces, and please don't remove it! I like not black... why more dark... blue is conservative, and comes patterned in combo with beige, whatever looks good with the floor..

• everdebz
    last year

Flo had spectacular with first ikat-type... with animal in blue...

My Tuftex was ok... with floor of identical squares - the carpeting can relieve some of that, with pattern that's free-form, not geometric.

• rberesh73
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks Flo. I like the look of the second one. The only reason I considered removing the runner is that I thought it would make the steps easier to clean. Then again what I have on their is some sort of shag and it captures everything.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Without a runner, wood stairs are kinda dangerous for slipping. A low pile, tightly woven runner solves many issues. A wider runner will help too.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Get to a carpet store (not big box store) and look at options in person. They can also show you broad loom that can be cut and fitted to your stairs. I have done this many times. Stark is great brand. Because it’s harder to get the stair carpet get that first. Then coordinate up the round rug. Take your time to get this right. It’s the “first impression” of your whole home.

• everdebz
    last year

Confused- last photo taken from second floor - Wouldn't a round rug placed in front of the stairs be off to the side, and idk seem 'off' seen from front door?

• HU-384606396
    last year

Depending on cost, I would get a bench to sit on to put on your footwear, (low) and get your very favourite photograph, pet, family, view, whatever as long as it is colourful and you love it - have it blown up to OMG size - narrow black frame it and hang it just at

eye level. Most people hang pictures too high. Make the bench (or low console) longer

the the width of the picture so you can use it. Lamps, key dish, room for a handful of mail

etc. Or to sit on as I said above. If you don't need it, just a lovely quilt (your great grandmothers?) or big picture. Drone pictures are wonderful for views.

rberesh73 thanked HU-384606396
  • pianomuse
    last year

The main thing that I find jarring to the eye is the dark front door. I would definitely paint it white. I realize the other woodwork is dark and I would see how it all fits once that is done before changing the other woodwork. I would get a bright oriental rug with some warmth - probably a red, and keep a mirror as one needs to check things as one leaves the house, but definitely work toward finding a large, great mirror with a frame. I might scout some of the used furniture or antique stores for this and make if a show piece. I liked the idea someone entered of using some cotton roping baskets on the bottom shelf of the stand to keep those odds and ends but keep it neat and interesting. They come in every color, and stripe, as well as many sizes. They are easily available on Amazon. On the top of the stand, I would look for an interesting 3 dimensional work of art like a sculpture, or even a small but lovely painting on a small easel. I would create a silk flower arrangement, and maybe include a small tray to keep things organized, neat, and easy to clean. These things can be changed with the season, or holiday both in choice of item and color.

rberesh73 thanked pianomuse
  • terrib962
    last year

A colorful rug would be nice and a colorful piece of art instead of the mirror. A smaller mirror beside if if you need one to check lipstick on the way out the door. Most definitely without question need to strip that horrid black paint and paint the trim some shade of white. Everything will pop better w/o that distraction of black. Painting trim black was popular with college kids in the 70's who did not have experience in decorating, but it is so not-right - ugh.

• rberesh73
    Original Author
    last year

The doors and trim will be staying the same espresso color. As I've said in some earlier posts, the doors are solid oak and because a white stain couldn't be guarantteed I went with the espresso. Changing would mean about 17 doors would have to be repainted in addition to all the trim (floor and windows).

• Susie
    last year

What about painting the console table... that would be most cost effective. Get a nice warm colored rug and pick up your favorite color from it to paint the console... orange, red, or even peacock / teal blue. I love this rug so much that I have bought it twice: https://www.houzz.com/products/casa-bold-floral-charcoal-and-multi-rug-6-7x9-6-prvw-vr~35555738

Add some vertical accessories and new light fixture... done!

And I love the idea to change the stair runner, maybe more of a solid color picked from the entrance rug.

Casa Bold Floral Charcoal and Multi Rug, 6'7"x9'6" · More Info

rberesh73 thanked Susie
  • Susie
    last year

You could also keep the mirror and have a frame installed around it to give it some weight in such a large entry. Stain the frame the same color as your trim... or paint it a copper, dark gold color... I love the dark doors and trim... no need to change a good thing!

rberesh73 thanked Susie
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Seeking bench and mirror combo. Already moved console. When you get the rug, post photos to catch everyone up. 😊

• rberesh73
    Original Author
    last year

Yes thanks Flo! Rug will hopefully be here in a week or 2. Console has been moved!

• hollywaterfall
    last year

Can you paint the door? The trim is fine. I personally would get a round mirror and that could be trimmed with some rope for texture. The glass/mirror combo is too reflective for me so I would throw a runner down for a pop of color also. In trying to find a photo example, I typed in "console table" under Photos. Many of them actually have a painting or grouping of photos above the table, what about that instead of the mirror?

• wiseca9
    last year

Another option is a bench and colorful picture arrangement that would complement your new rug. (I would only put pillows on the bench.) Sometimes there's too much black and white, and colorful artwork would look great with the black you have and give you that pop of color you're missing. Pictures below show different frames and arrangements.

Interesting article...https://mariakillam.com/two-ways-incorporate-black-bathroom/

• Suzanne Deboer
    last year

The black door is fine. Very sophisticated. Definitely go with suggestions of adding a colorful rug. And yes your idea to frame the mirror is a good one.

rberesh73 thanked Suzanne Deboer
  • rberesh73
    Original Author
    last year

Updates might take a week or so. Ordered the rug and some accessories for the now moved console. I will be changing the runner as well but need to find a professional first to measure for me. Also looking into a bench/mirror combo as well.

• Margie Kieper
    last year

I would get rid of everything below the mirror. There is already enough dark wood and the style of the table is dated and everything on it looks “arranged” and not in a good way, and has no color. The table doesn’t serve a purpose and is decorative. Function is better. Add a rug and a bench underneath the mirror to sit on. This space needs color.

rberesh73 thanked Margie Kieper
  • rberesh73
    Original Author
    last year

Rug arrived

• rberesh73
    Original Author
    last year

More pics

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Well you win some you loose some. I don’t love it. What do you think? It’s helpful to see though. I think you need darker rug due to all your trim etc. I would still like your door and side panels painted to match your trim. That white is throwing things off. Back to the search. Sorry. I think a rectangular shape at the door will be best.

• rberesh73
    Original Author
    last year

Tried leaving it there for a bit but can't say I'm blown away by the the shape, pattern or color. I actually thought there was more blue in it like my other rectangular one but it appears more green. Just going to finish wrapping it and getting it off to fedex shortly

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Rugs are hard, so you just have to keep trying. You might want to go to local suppliers such as a Lowes? or Home Depot? Not sure what you have there. Then you can see first hand color, etc. Measure from the edge of the side light on one side to the other to get a good feel for length of the rug. Probably 5' or so. You want the rug to clear the closet doors. Probably 5' wide I'm guessing. 36" for door width and a couple more feet for the sidelights?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Here is a favorite of mine. From Rugs-Direct. Tight weave, doesn’t show dirt and very nice coloring. Neutrals with various blues. I tried getting in “room” but need photo without any rug.

• wiseca9
    last year

I have this rug from ruggables.com. This is the 5 x 7 Nira Charcoal Rug. These rugs are washable and it can be put in a washer if you have a large washer. There is a pad that keeps it from slipping around. I love it and purchased 2 other ruggables.

(click to enlarge)

• rberesh73
    Original Author
    last year

Switched my other new one back

• Sammie J
    last year

Sorry, but that rug is much too small for your space

• rberesh73
    Original Author
    last year

I actually thought that it looks that way in the photo but in person it’s actually quite big. I'll have to take an aerial shot to show it better.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

What is size of that rug. That is about as wide as you can go for that spot due to closet door swings. It is a tricky area to work with so be patient. We will get there.

• rberesh73
    Original Author
    last year

Aerial shot

• everdebz
    last year

I still like how the 'broad pattern' seems to have shape [of what]... but soft looking too. I hoped you'd add an item in that color, brighter even [or not].

• everdebz
    last year

A rug should relate with the glass in the doors, a bit dressy a feature [so I wouldn't use striped] - you haven't said what color if any it has?

• rberesh73
    Original Author
    last year

Yes this one is the one you posted as a suggestion

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

The size looks good so if you like it then no worries. It’s a pretty rug and pattern. The teal color is what is small issue. Will the vase work colorwise? Wall colors here etc?. Just think through whole space.

• rberesh73
    Original Author
    last year

I guess when the vase arrives we’ll find out

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Here’s another option. Colors might work better.