SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
seaside1110

Kitchen in antique house

Allison W
last year
last modified: last year

Hi! I just bought an 1891 house and wanted to get some advice on the kitchen (and many other design questions--I will probably be posting a lot). The kitchen is in better shape than most of the house so we want to mostly leave what's here but finish it up and make it look better. There are cherry cabinets that have some stains but we'll just do our best to make them look better, soapstone counters and a large soapstone sink, wood floors, and a big brick fireplace with a wood stove in it. There are three windows above the sink and stove wall, and entrances from the kitchen to a storage pantry, mud room, butler pantry, powder room, and hall. The ceilings are 10 ft high and the room is 12 and 1/2 by 15 and 1/2 ft. Here is what I'm thinking about so far:
1. A textured ceiling--The original was copper. Maybe the fake copper tiles, or another textured tile that we could paint. Maybe anagalypta wallpaper would work too. Not sure how gross it would get due to grease.
2. Should we get a hood? Don't want to move the oven and the ceilings are really high so a hood would have to go over the top half of the middle window. The oven isn't centered underneath that window either and goes slightly in front of the right window. We don't have a great view out of these windows--it's a multi-story institutional building but it is nice to get light. Currently cooking smells go all over the house even to the third floor.
3. My main question is about lighting design. Right now the lights are very random. Bought a second hand pot rack with lights for over the island but I'm not sure of how it's going to feel, if it will be too cluttered or ruin sight lines. We could use the storage space though. For task lighting seems like recessed lighting would be strange with the antique textured ceiling. We definitely need some type of lighting over the sink and stove and some type of lighting over the island and something in the storage pantry and the butler pantry. Ideas?
4. Leaning toward repainting in the same peachish wall color that is already here. I think it would be cool to do something with color in the storage pantry-- I saw some interesting examples of dark river stone colors in pantries. But a light color could be really nice too, especially with the light from the window.
5. Ultimately want to change where the door is to the powder room because right now it opens directly into the kitchen, which is kind of gross. Thinking of leaving that part of the wall where the door is now slightly recessed for more storage for canned goods, etc, and making it a recessed cabinet, hopefully with cool tall antique wood doors.
6. Other ideas for the future: do some sort of cool thing with the fireplace, possibly so you could use it for cooking. Maybe redesign the kitchen layout. Put a small spice rack on the kitchen wall next to the pantry opening, add some dish rack hooks to the end of the island. Storage is kind of challenging in this kitchen with all of the walls unavailable. We also need to scrape and restore the antique windows and finish the floor.
Thanks for your help! (In terms of the feel of the house, it is a shingle style / queen anne near the ocean. Hoping for an elegant bohemian earthy vibe). Pics in the comments. If anyone can explain how to add them to the posts on my phone I would be grateful.

Comments (31)