SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_614070349

Time to plan on back yard reno. Help with this large area please.

Heidi Wright
last year
last modified: last year

ETA. I'm in zone 7, Foothills North Carolina

We just got our fence up and I love it. The back yard is east of my home with lots of tree cover. First hardscape will be a deck this fall, but I would like to start thinking about what to do with this area in case I might be able to start on it in the fall. Right now it is FULL of lily of the valley. I'm in the process of pulling up a ton of sweet autumn clematis that is taking over my yard and covering the lily of the valley in this bed. We have one oak tree in this bed, as seen in the picture, and a small Chinese privet to the far right, that I'm considering maybe leaving there. There are a few heavenly bamboo that I am going to be pulling out. Looking around the bed I see some English Ivy, monkey grass?, infant sized black cherry (probably should pull up), black mulberry, Virginia creeper, and mimosa trees that I'll pull up. Anything worth keeping, or would I be best to completely clear this area out and start fresh? I'd love some ideas to brighten up the area with some light colors, flowering, or nice white or silver leaves. There really is very little light at all from late morning on, aside from some sun peaking through the limbs on the trees as the sun moves to the south side of the house and continues west, then later in the afternoon when it comes in from the other side, late afternoon north/west sun.

This is looking from south to north.

Same bed looking west to east.

Comments (8)