SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fiddleandco

Help plan circle drive in yard

8 years ago

We are trying to plan out a landscape design for our property, and I think we need some help.

Right now, I am looking at turning our yard into a circle drive for our barn driveway. I have *roughly* drawn it out on a map copy-if anyone with some software skills wants to redo or offers suggestions with a redrawing, please do!

;)

This is what we currently have-the red square on the right is a barn. The grey in the middle is our house and front porch. There is a driveway to the garage (top left).

The 'grey lines' are the drive to the barn, and the blue lines and arrow are a new entrance we put in specifically for that drive.

The driveway to the barn was done previously by prior owners (it loops on the left to the main garage drive on the left), and is just pea gravel and dirt. Not great for a muddy climate with large trailers.

Currently, we have to back down our barn drive (in blue/grey) with horse trailers to get to the barn, which is do-able, but not ideal.

Due to convenants and land topo, this was our only option at the time.....not ideal.

We have thought about turning the front yard into a large circle drive for trailers, where we can pull in, and circle around.....

In the past, we talked about turning it into an arena, as it is the flattest area of land we have, but it doesn't solve the horse trailer backing issue.

So, my thought-the yellow outlines a large circle drive that encompasses the yard, with the green squiggles being areas that we can keep "green" with yard or shrubs. Entrance is in and out of the 'barn entrance' in blue.

My other thought is to have a shorter circle in the yard and allow our garage driveway (packed roadbase/gravel-much better) to be an entrance/exit on the circle.....it is a sharp turn out though, so large trailers might have an issue if they were not careful pulling out.

I would love thoughts on aesthetics, suggestions on a circle drive, and how you would best recommend starting one-prefered materials? What kind of cost? I have a local gravel yard we have used before, and we would be using them again, but DH and myself would be doing most of the work.

Anyone have a similar situation and photos of before and afters? Would love to see some inspirations for this endeavor.

Thanks!

Comments (12)