SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
robijackson03

Asking advice for an accent wall in master shower.

Robi J
last year

My brother is practically to the tile stage of his master bathroom. We’ve picked out two types of tile he really likes. Problem is the accent part is outrageous. What would you suggest. Shower measures 4 x 8 but the seat took up appx 2 feet.

Comments (38)

• Robi J
    Original Author
    last year

Will a 3x5 accent wall work on the back wall? We like the look of the staggered 5x5’s. The accent pieces shown in picture are $75 or $140 a piece. I didn’t realize that when I picked them out. Please help me save him money while looking fabulous.

This show will have the toilet room on the right as you walk in, then the soaker tub with a large window over, shower on back wall with vanities on right.

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    last year

Could you use one of the patterned tiles in wide strip across the wall? A one-foot tall strip? That would keep costs down.

My first thought in looking at the pictures, though, was why did you post them in black-and-white? The colors are too dull and dreary for my taste. But to each their own.

• Related Discussions

Master Bath Shower Faucets - wall and ceiling shower head only?

Q

Comments (13)
    We redid our MB with an overhead, a hand held, also a grab bar. I think the handheld is great. We use it for cleaning screen windows, the dog, sometimes my feet, etc. Although I think the ceiling overhead shower head looks glamorous , it makes washing your hair awkward. You have to step out of the water pathway to get the shampoo in your hair, vs. a wall mount you step back a few inches and you can get shampoo in while still being showered with the water.
    ...See More

Shower pan advice please! Match bathroom floor or shower wall? See pic

Q

Comments (8)
    Typically we match the bathroom floor to the shower floor. If the bathroom floor tile is too large and slippery, we'd cut it into smaller pieces. Do make sure that your shower floor tile is not slippery when wet. There are products that you can put on the tile afterward to add some grit if needed. Your shower most likely has a threshold and make sure that is well-delineated so you won't stub your toes. Keep in mind that natural stone requires more maintenance and is not as resilient as porcelain tile.
    ...See More

Master Bath Accent wall?

Q

Comments (3)
    The tile in the picture w/the tile you posted? no. post all the tiles you plan on using. a gray porcelain tile doesn't tell me anything. and gray and that yellow one you posted, will not work. don't mix linear tiles and stay away from wood-look anything. the chevron one in your picture is ok, but look what it's paired with. white tile platform and a marble look tile. that's it. no other linear tiles. It's a very busy patterned bathroom. it works because everything else in that room is plain white or solid wood laminate. no other patterns, or busy looking vanities. it's wide open so the eye can roam. can you imagine another linear tile along the tub platform?Or a vanity with curves or other designs? If you like that bathroom, then copy it. exactly. otherwise, it's not going to look anything like it.
    ...See More

Need advice >> Shiplap accent wall in den?

Q

Comments (9)
    I don't really think shiplap would give you much bang for the buck in this space. If it were mine, I'd focus on revamping the artwork on the walls, replacing the mirrors with something that holds personal meaning, and maybe doing something more dramatic with artwork where you have the map. Something that reminds you of favorite travels or places, perhaps? Enlarged personal photos or big original canvas paintings?
    ...See More
  • Robi J
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks for helping. The colors are creamy white tones with a variety. Mu camera was on normal setting. This shower is big and he said wanted something different on the back wall. The 3 accent pieces I liked had gold in them. He does not want any gold in that bathroom. Uuuggghhh. He doesn’t have a style but knows what he doesn’t want. Would a herringbone pattern work? I’ll look a few more places and may go with a whole wall of tile.

• stiley
    last year
    last modified: last year

Here are some ideas from the Bedrosians website that sells those square tiles. Just looking at tile ideas, not the gold fixtures. Those tiles come in lots of fun colors. Herringbone could be cool too and could look kind of masculine. I would still stay away from doing one wall a different tile, and especially not having a square with different tile. But it is a personal choice--want him to love his new shower!

• Robi J
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks for helping. The colors are creamy white tones with a variety. Mu camera was on normal setting. This shower is big and he said wanted something different on the back wall. The 3 accent pieces I liked had gold in them. He does not want any gold in that bathroom. Uuuggghhh. He doesn’t have a style but knows what he doesn’t want. Would a herringbone pattern work? I’ll look a few more places and may go with a whole wall of tile.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    last year

The field tiles are so nice that I wouldn’t use either of those accent tiles. Keep it simple

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

All that waterjet cut stone is $$$

Here are some items I found at Floor & Decor the other day.

• Robi J
    Original Author
    last year

I think I should have said to do an accent on back wall say 4 feet x 5 feet not a complete different while. The square tile will be in the shower and behind the soaker tub. I felt That wad a lot of the same tile.

• Robi J
    Original Author
    last year

Actually, I’m sitting in Floor Decor before I go back to the other tile

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    last year

Does the field tile you bought come in other mosaic formats? Looks like you have 4 x 4 or 6 x 6 square tiles for the field. If it also comes in 2 x 6's (or similar) you could do a heringbone or stacked vertical set pattern for the accent wall. The color would remain the same, but you would add some nice texture/geometry.

• PRO
    Skippack Tile & Stone
    last year

Your original marble mosaics are completely different in style to the other elements selected; they do not work together. Look for things more in style with the zellige wall look instead.

• Robi J
    Original Author
    last year

I found 2x8 cloe tile online and I have the 5x5 squares ordered. Should I add the 2x8’s?

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    last year

Yep. That would look nice.

• Mrs. S
    last year

Yes, those field tiles have a little "rustic" connotation to them... similar to Zellige (and I very much like the look of those), whereas the field tiles look like a glam/Z-Gallerie thing. Keep it simple, keep it simple, keep it simple.

• Robi J
    Original Author
    last year

We’ve made a little way with the shower and waiting on the trim for the accent wall tile. Hopefully the bathrooms, and laundry will be ready to move to the next step. After this the tile is complete I like to get some advice on his spare bedroom

• Robi J
    Original Author
    last year

I asked for a herringbone pattern and came back and now they have this. Should I ask them to take it down and replace it with the herringbone. This is the guest bath. The master bath we’re waiting on the pencils to come in and add the accent wall they can get the rest of the tile hung. It’s kind of hard to look at it without the grout their fingers crossed that it looks good as I hoped would.

• PRO
    last year

Either do the herringbone or the running bond pattern, not both in one tub area.

The tile in the master bedroom looks very nice!

• Robi J
    Original Author
    last year

I wanted to ask about white wooden carved headboard for the guest bedroom just trying to bring in the sunshine in that room want to see if you thought that this type of bed would flow with a House

• Robi J
    Original Author
    last year

If he lives on the lake will this bohemian style bed be okay? I’ve been eyeing this bed for a while and don’t have s place in my home. Would this style if bed flow with his house. Mind you he has no style or no furniture. He tossed me r gave everything away.

• cpartist
    last year

Do not mix the herringbone with the running bond in the guest bath. They don't work well together. One or the other and in the guest bath, my choice would be to just do the running bond.

I'm confused. What is happening on the upper wall in the master shower? And how did they waterproof? I see Redguard and then white next to it?

I love that bohemian bed. However it is on the feminine side. How will your brother feel about it?

• cpartist
    last year

And I'm also confused because you think what they did isn't a herringbone pattern? What do you think it is?

• Robi J
    Original Author
    last year

Cpartist, what’s there now is a chevron pattern and the picture below is the herringbone that I showed and laid out. I ran to GA to pick up the only 2 boxes they had in stock. The more I Iook at it the more disappointed I am.

The bed is feminine but he doesn’t have a style and he honestly would say… do what you think. No pressure! Is this style to ornate or dated?

• Robi J
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks for bringing the shower to my attention. I’ll make sure I ask my brother and let you know.

• cpartist
    last year

Both are herringbone patterns. It's just how they're laid out. A chevon pattern is different.

The more common one is the one your tiler did. Google herringbone pattern and chevon pattern and look under images. :) Honestly if you showed him this image, then he did it incorrectly then he owes you to fix it. However if you just said herringbone, then I would have done it exactly the same way he did it.

Either way, it's too much with the other tile so have him remove it and just do the runningbond pattern.

Nothing is dated if you like it and it works with the overall feel. Yes I like it.

• PRO
    last year

cpartist is correct, both are herringbone. The one your tiler installed is merely your preferred herringbone rotated one-quarter turn.

Here's an article discussing the differences between the two patterns, with examples:

https://wideplankflooring.com/blog/herringbone-vs-chevron/

• Robi J
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks Diane. Can you please tell me the type of pattern I showed the installer. I’m talking with him tomorrow and showed him the picture above (store display). Lord, thank you for keeping me straight!

• Robi J
    Original Author
    last year

Cpartist, I overlooked your comment when replying to Diane. If i keep this pattern, with your expertise, it it worth the money and argument with the installer?

• PRO
    last year

As CPartist and I both explained, yours is definitely a herringbone pattern, just turned.

So I'd ask the tiler to remove the rectangular tiles and replace them with the same herringbone pattern on all the walls above the tub. It looks very nice, and is not worth it to remove all the tiles.

• Robi J
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you, I will. 🙏🏻 for good results.

• cpartist
    last year

Good luck.

• Robi J
    Original Author
    last year

I’m so excited with how the master shower and laundry rooms turned out!! The guest bath - that’s for another day as the saga continues. Yes, they did waterproof the part that was not.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

Robi, I like your tile and the accent. However, and I'm sorry in advance, but this tile job could have been so much better.

I'd be upset at a few things. I'm not pointing these out to upset you, I'm pointing them out so that you and others can learn.

first off, I notice green board in this bathroom. I know they did a Redgard waterproof coating, I just hope they used actual Durock/cement board in the shower itself and didn't coat the greenboard. I can see the greenboard on the ceiling in the shower. It is NOT coated w/the waterproof membrane. Greenboard is not approved for usage in the shower. granted, the ceiling doesn't get 'wet', but if it's not being tile, it's going to get constant moisture and could rot over time. look up the specs for it. They clearly state it's not to be used in the shower. (and it should not be used on the shower walls, even if it was red coated) That's why I'm asking what the tile is adhered to. Do you know?

Tile job. Look at the bottom row of tiles and then look at the top arrows against the ceiling. Which is more visible if you're standing in the room? The ceiling. There is no excuse for sliver cut tiles in the more visible parts. That bottom row of tile should have been cut by at least 1/3 in order to have a wider top row of tiles at the ceiling. a good tiler would have known this and split the difference. (see blue arrows)

take a look at this example. look at the bottom row and the top row. (also look at the vertical corners. more on that below)

this was built like yours w/the wall. the lower row isn't as visible as the upper row. Your lower row tiles should have been cut so your top row would look better.

The other thing that catches my eye is the placement of the mural tile. It would have looked better lowered by two rows. You have 18 rows, (18 and a sliver!) with the mural buying up 5 rows. That leaves 10 rows beneath, and 3 rows above. Hardly symmetrical.

I would have started it on row 9 so it would have been better centered and proportional to the overall wall. And if you actually look at the entire thing, it's off center since the shower continues down the right side. Why wasn't it measured out and centered correctly, or continued down another foot? (what's another few hundred bucks at this point?)? Sorry, but that would drive my OCD insane.

I hope they aren't grouting the vertical corners or around the bench or between the floor tile/wall tile. all of these areas need 100% silicone caulking.

my other complaint is the order in which the walls were done. the plumbing wall was done first, and then the back wall. I can see this because of the edge cuts up and down this corner.

Why wasn't the back wall done first, and the side walls done afterward, thereby concealing all of the cuts?

(also, where the red arrow points, is there a dip in the floor? put a level there and on the entire shower floor. what does the level show?

Put a level on the bench and those shelves. Are they sloping downward? I hope.

This is my shower. you see all these end cuts?

you won't see them when the side walls are tiled over them.

close up of that earlier example. look at the corners. you can't see the cuts. also look at the floor tile. the floor was done first, and the walls afterward, hiding all of the edge cuts on the mosaic.

You can do the walls first if you're able to leave enough of a gap to slide the floor tile under the wall tile. it just doesn't look good if you're butting up rough cut edges against other tile.

I don't mean to rag on you, I just don't want people to be charged outrageous amounts of money thinking they're getting premium tile work done.

Other than that, I like the tile and the design.

What happened w/the herringbone in the other room?

Perfectly fine to do diff layouts w/your tile (herringbone on one, straght layout on the other)

• Robi J
    Original Author
    last year

Beth, thank you for all that information. My brother is out of town so I sent screen shots if your comments. He then had his superintendent go over and inspect the tile. He said to make sure I thanked you for pointing out in such great detail. I sent him many pictures and passed the baton. Hopefully, they will come to an agreeable result.

Comments like yours is why I’ve post on HOUZZ. Thank you.

• Robi J
    Original Author
    last year

While he gets the shower straight, I’d like to ask about this 1/2 bath. It’s behind his kitchen and will be used ad people come in from the pool or lake. I showed him pictures and he fell in love with this one. Does anyone have any idea where I can get this sink? Or any other options? This bathroom is narrow but long and the sink will stay on the same wall as it is now. What kind of window is that?

Thanks for any input.

• Robi J
    Original Author
    last year

He actually took the window out but now considering putting it back in. Right now it’s covered with plywood until the windows come in. Should he make the new window smaller?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

Robi, (I apologize ahead of time for the photo overload. grad a cup of joe and sit back awhile!)

Your bathroom isn't that narrow that you need that super small sink!

Keep the window! then you could do some plants above the toilet (that you'll be turning)

First thing ,you should not be looking into a bathroom and staring straight at the toilet. rotate it, put shelves over it, keep the window, and bring in some plants.

something like this. (this is a shallow vanity/sink-about 15") simple wood shelves for plants.

run a wood shlef above the sink (and toile) for toiletries or plants, art, etc.

Ask your contractor if he can do it. (the toilet)

Shouldn't be too difficult to rotate it w/the back against the long wall.

remove those weird shutters. do you need the privacy? if so, obscure the glass on the lower window.

you see this one? just about the same width as yours. (minus the shower)

window too. toilet looks much better against the other wall though.

Here's another one almost the same. before and after

I really like this one w/the shiplap, the window molding the vanity (do an 18" depth vanity. it should work. measure it out.

do a wall mount faucet too. you'll get more sink space

if you don't move toilet, do you like the beadboard wainscot and pedestal sink? nice floor tile. This is a very inexpensive redo. materials shown here are pretty cheap.

You like the wainscot? Notice the window, the trim, the flooring, etc. you could do a shallower vanity.

in your inspo pic you have a tile accent, but you could do a wallpaper, or even a stencil design if budget is a concern.

if you like that tile accent, here's a closer look at how it's done. and this board and batten wainscot is a bit more casual than the other one

How about a tile wainscot w/a bold color above? your room isn't this narrow, but just look at the design. hang two pendants (or two sconces) instead of the light bar over the mirror.

If doing a simple white tile like this, go bold on the floor w/a print or design.

A type of tongue and groove paneling is also an option (vertical or Horizontal). This is a custom wood vanity that's pretty easy to DIY. Top it w/a remnant piece of stone, vessel sink, AND the wall mount faucet. the advantage to this is you can make the depth of the sink custom. do a cool mirror and a sconce overhead, or on the side

vertical wainscot. you could do a shiplap type plank, or a beadboard topped w/rail molding.

this looks like a pennyround tile floor.

you could also do a console sink, or a pedestal sink.

simple mirror and sconces. or a pendant.
    I like this dark vertical wall treatment, the wood top vanity (more on that) sconces. do the same wood shelves over the toilet. or hang a plant in the corner. do a cool floor tile.

another take on that style. do the whole room in the batten trim panels (easy) paint it all black (another reason why you keep that big window!) and bring in these other elements. if you like the plaid tile, they make them in an 8x8 size. you can find a smaller vanity.

i'm digging this one doo. board and batten, porcelain brick-look tile laid in herringbone, turn your toilet, and do a similar vanity (these are easy to custom make to size) top w/remnant marble piece

you could also do a little console sink like this if you think you need something shallow.

If you look at 15- 18" deep floating vanities, you should be able to find something that works in there

I have a bunch of ideas if you want a live edge wood vanity top. interested in seeing those?

Wall mount faucet of course. so many ways to do these

adhere it on a cleat screwed into the studs:

make it more like a console w/a waterfall side (s)

This one is actually super easy. I could make one of these.

Then you could tile the entire wall

Budget idea. this is a wall stencil not a wallpaper. beadboard wainscot, simple black vanity, (do custom knobs) and vessel sink w/a marble top.

this is my bathroom from a house we redid and rent out. the vanity cost me $150 to make. 1950's chest I painted glossy black and added crystal knobs, topped w/a marble remnant ($50), and a marble sink I found on clearance ($30). Tiled everything myself.

if you need some storage in there, see if your guy can make some shelving in between your studs.

sorry, I get carried away w/pictures. so many great ideas for that bathroom.

give me a budget and tile, design you like and I could put something together for you

• A M
    last year

@Robi J The sink in your photo looks like some of the small sinks available at The Bath Outlet https://www.thebathoutlet.com/Small-Bathroom-Sinks/

I purchased a small Nameeks Scarabeo console sink from them. Very good experience.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES