SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maxjackjoe

HVAC and Hot Water Heater Fresh Air Intake???

last year

Can anyone provide insight into the rules for HVAC and Hot Water Heater Combustion Air intake.

Both our furnace and hot water heater are using air from our 14.5' x 11' enclosed mechanical room for combustion air. The PVC pipe is not getting air from outside - rather directly from the room and through the vents in the wall to the basement rec room.

We have a home built-in October 2021 - "tight - new construction". We have a 92% efficient furnace - 100,000 BTU. We have a 75 gallon gas water heater 76,000 BTU (I think).

We have two 6" x 14" (outside dimensions) vents (one high on the wall one low on the wall) on the wall between our 14.5' x 11' mechanical room (w/ 9' ceilings) and the large basement rec room.

I think the vents would be OK if they were appropriately sized and if our mechanical room was not considered an "enclosed space." I found some calculations that say the EACH vent need to be a minimum of 100 sq.in. or 1 sq.in. per 1000 BTU of appliances (furnace and water heater). That means our vents need to be much larger - 176 sq.in.

Also, the mechanical room must be considered a non-enclosed space. I found a calculation that says the room needs 50 cubic ft. of space for each 1000 BTU of appliance (furnace and water heater). If I'm understanding the calculations, our mechanical room needs to be about 5 times bigger to be have the combustion air intake inside the room.

If I'm undesrtanding this, our system needs to use fresh air from outside instead of inside the room.

Does anyone have experience with this to confirm my understanding?

Comments (7)