SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Wedding gift: How much?

Sueb20
last year

More wedding talk! This time, not in my family. We are going to the wedding of a friend's kid. We have been friends with the parents for about 20 years but no real relationship with their kids, especially as they've gotten older. They have not registered anywhere, and have made it clear that they just want money for their honeymoon. That's fine with me, although I am not going to send my monetary gift via paypal directly through the wedding web site, which is one option. I'm old school: check in a card.

We haven't been to a wedding in probably 10 years, and that was for a family member. But I now have at least three weddings coming up that are of this ilk: kids of our friends. And I know more will come! So what's the appropriate amount of money these days? I was thinking 250? 300? Is that in the ballpark? If it matters (and I don't think it should), it's a very casual low-budget wedding. Typically I would give money plus some kind of gifty-gift, just because I think money is so impersonal, but I know they are in a tiny apartment and I don't even know much about their interests so not sure what kind of gift I'd give anyway.

Thoughts? I tried to search for this topic and I could swear it's been covered, but I couldn't find it. Apologies if it's out there and I just missed it.

Comments (14)