SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jessi_tutt

Double Northern Cardinal nests

Jessi Tutt
last year

We live east of Dallas TX and have loads of cardinals. About a week ago 3 male cardinals spent 2 days flying in and out of a hanging basket of fern. One seemed to abandon the project but two continued to fly into the basket and root around vigorously, causing the basket to rock and spin dramatically. It was very amusing over the last week or so. When watering the fern I could clearly see two areas where the fern fronds had been pushed away to form hollows. I didn’t pull it down again until today. There are two completed but empty nests, side by side. I have not seen a female at any point but it’s been a couple of days since witnessing any activity. I’ve been hunting online but cannot find any information about two nests so close together. Because birds are territorial, this seems very unusual but maybe it happens all the time. Anybody know? No eggs yet but based on the timing Ive read about it will be a few days more before we see anything. I’m assuming we shouldn’t water it anymore which will make it a $15 townhouse. It would be very fun to watch two nests go through the cycle! Also, ferns must attract birds ass we have an iron window box in the backyard, with ferns, that is being used by another bird. She is much more discreet and I’ve only seen her fly out twice so I don’t even know what sort of bird it is. Ferns make for popular housing!

Comment (1)