SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beckybjm83

To architect or not to architect…

beckybjm83
last year

Hey all, my wife (30) and I (31) are in the infant stages of building a home. We have one three year old son and one on the way. At this stage we have our builder (a trusted family friend who is a home builder and has already done remodeling work for our family in the past that we are very pleased with) we are now confronted with the age old question:

Should we use an in-person architect, online plan, or a local draftsman from a building and lumber center?

We already have the lot (fairly flat, minimal trees, with no obviously glaring building difficulties). Getting to this point has been years in the making and its very important for us to start off on the right foot while not spending money frivolously as we have a modest budget.

The build: A modest 1600-1700sqft open floor plan two story with unfinished partial basement. We like to live efficiently and simply. As stated, we already have the lot. We also have water, sewer, and electrical in place for hook ups therefore our budget for the physical structure build is between $400,000 and $450,000. Style-wise we like the “simple is stronger” approach to architecture and are leaning towards a more modern “farmhouse” vibe (although we hate that term) attached is an inspiration picture.

The Decision: The in-person architect we might use is a colleague of our builder and there is trust and synergy in that relationship. He is hourly at $125/hour and expects to cost around 3% of the total build cost ~$12,000-$13,500. The online plan my wife and I have found is ~$3,000 and very detailed but would need minor adjustments (bedroom sizes and adding a basement). As far as a draftsman, there are a few local guys that said they could draw up something for us for around $1,000 if we give them details. We understand that each has its trade offs in quality, cost, flexibility etc.

We do not expect reddit to take this difficult decision off our hands, however we would greatly appreciate any feedback/opinions on the matter from you all with much deeper knowledge and experience than us! Thanks in advance!

Comments (47)