SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sssairuh

What's an optimal layout for my multipurpose living room?

sssairuh
last year
last modified: last year

Hi, all! I live in a great one bedroom apartment in a city and my living room is serving triple duty—living, working, and dining space (plus a piano!). I love my apartment but find myself constantly thinking the space isn't optimized. The flow from the front door (bottom of layout) to kitchen and hall closet (bottom left of layout) and bedroom (left of layout) is important, and creating three distinct-ish spaces within a relatively long, narrow room has been challenging.

Some considerations:

• I work from home, so appreciate having my desk near at least one of the wall-mounted ladder bookshelves (small grey rectangles). Ideally, one of these is behind my desk so that it's the background on video calls.
  • I would enjoy having friends over more often if I had additional seating; having the bench (currently at dinning table) near the couch helps with this to some extent, but it's not perfect.
  • I'm trying to avoid having everything (desk/TV/piano or dining table/TV/desk) just lined up along the long right wall.
  • The piano could go in my bedroom instead. I'd prefer to keep the desk in the living room.

I've attached the current layout and an alternative I'm considering.

Thank you for any and all suggestions!

Comments (6)