SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ratherbeatthebeach

Family room needs french door treatment and art

We bought a colonial house, along with the existing Colonial Williamsburg style furniture and decor. My style is coastal/tropical. We do not want to spend the money to redo all at once, so I am transitioning by using a British Colonial style. Photos below, please forgive the mess in the kitchen.

I have two problems with the family room.

Problem #1: The french door needs a window treatment to cover the glass for privacy at night and temperature control. Right now I have tacked up some ugly green fabric until I can come up with a plan.

The existing windows have custom valances and 2" dark wood venetian blinds. The french door has just a matching valance. I love the blinds and am ambivalent about the valances.

I have considered the following for the french door:

a) Mount 1/2" venetian blinds or bamboo shades to the door itself. Not crazy about that idea as we use the door a LOT and I want to maximize light during the day. I cannot do thicker blinds because of leaving clearance for the door handle. I don't like most cellular shades.

b) Mount 2" wood blind or large bamboo shade over the entire door frame. Problem - the french door valance is shallow and would not cover the blinds header, so that valance would need to go. I think this would look odd since the adjacent windows would still have valances.

c) Take down the french door valance and put draperies that stack to the right. Still have the non-matching issue, plus it would be a pain to climb over the chair to open and shut the drapes.

d) Take down ALL the valances. Problem - the existing wood blinds don't have a decorative valance, so I would need new fabric valances. I thought about solid green valances to coordinate with the loveseat, but the kitchen window really needs more color or pattern to give the kitchen some oomph. The kitchen counters are putty brown with flecks of cream, black, and brick red. I don't want to use solid red valances, and I'm not sure what kind of pattern might coordinate with the loveseat.

Problem #2: Art for over the piano. I found some great prints of music clefs and of pineapples that pick up the gold color of the wall. Problem is that we don't really like the gold wall, and hubby vetoed the art because it was "too gold and he wants a pop of color". I have not been able to come up with something colorful that also works with the muted color scheme we have.

All suggestions are welcome. (Except the following, LOL - I know I need to hang the painting over the mantel lower, redo the mantel accessories, relocate hubby's stereo wires on the carpet, and clean up the breakfast bar.)

Thank you!!

Comments (13)