SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amandamakiela

Hello all! We just bought a very 90s inspired back split that needs a

Hello all! We just bought a very 90s inspired back split that needs a big overhaul. We intend on renovating the main living area asap but I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out what to really do here. We haven't moved into the space yet but I'm trying to wrap my head around the best design choice.
Here's my scattered thoughts and let me know your thoughts. I'm thinking both kitchen peninsulas and the weird floating pantry need to go. Then, the kitchen will be an L-shaped space, along with an island facing the dining area. But do the kitchen cabinets along the main "busy wall" just stop? And should they stop in line with the peak in the vault? Would it be advantageous to stop the kitchen a bit earlier so as to claim some more living space?
And what about the fireplace? I'm thinking the best solution is to bring it forward and drywall it all the way too the top. I dislike that it's flush to the busy wall. Once it's built out, we can apply a stone veneer to the ceiling on an angle. But then what to do with the sides of the fireplace? I'd love some extra storage so would bilateral built-in seating look odd? If we were to install seating there, what about the bench closest to where the kitchen ends? How is that space separated? And if bench seating wouldn't work, what would? The asymmetrical nature of it is throwing my brain off.
Ultimately, I want to avoid is a very busy back wall. And I also want it to feel a lot bigger than it is. The contrasting paint colour is atrocious. I'd paint walls and ceiling the same colour (and nice white). I've had the white kitchen and I'm thinking about doing a nice sage green but I'm still undecided.
I'm also struggling with lighting choices. I'd love to have recessed potlights in both the living and kitchen but I'm concerned about some of the moisture issues I've read about. Any other lighting suggestions?
Sorry to photobomb you!
Thanks so much!!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath