SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
raisemybeds

Hello all - just gazing at the seed packets and dreaming!

raisemybeds
16 years ago

Have missed all my chums on the GW veggie forum, but it's time we start chatting again about all things vegetable garden. It is freezing cold with snow-cover here in zone 6b on the CT shoreline. I am snipping some lettuces here and there from a covered rack on the back porch, but all else is fairly solidly frozen or just minimally creeping by outside until it warms in several weeks. This is the hardest meanest piece of Winter right now, but I went out to the shed this afternoon and grabbed some starting trays with lids, got them washed up, and organized all my seeds as I am sure so many of you garden-heads have been doing. March 4 I will start my tomatoes - any earlier is just additional trouble for me to no good end. Between now and then I will start up kale, endive, rose orach, recao, collards, kohlrabi, cress, broccoli, many lettuces and mache, artichokes (new to me), bunching onions, a variety of herbs to live on windowsills until May, and of course the peas will get planted. Have to sneak out in a couple of days and put a cover over the pea bed to warm the soil so I can make the planting holes. In about 3 weeks it will be seedstarting insanity around here. More will get planted in April, of course, but some things demand that early start so that the seedling is big and hardy by last frost when it ventures outdoors to gain a new perspective. Hope you all have bought plenty of sterile mix and are having a good frolic with seed packs!

Comments (34)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!