FIND PROFESSIONALS
SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
dschell5

Looking for advice on exterior trim colors.

dschell5
10 days ago
last modified: 10 days ago

Hi, I am looking for advice on how to paint the trim on my daughter's new home. If you expand the picture you'll get a good idea of the brick color. I am willing to replace the white replacement windows, remove screen door, paint front door and garage door if need be. Oh, and the metal awning over the front porch wil be the first thing to go!

Thanks!!!!!

Comments (23)

• ShadyWillowFarm
    10 days ago

Can’t see the house due to the tree that needs pruning and overgrown shrubs.

• tdemonti
    10 days ago

Don't remove the awning until your ready with a replacement to ptotect the door You dont want visitors standing in the elements

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    9 days ago
    last modified: 9 days ago

Remove tha ugly awning and replace it with a nice glass and black metal one to start.. I agree that landscpaing needs real work and honestly until it is dealt with there is no way to help with color.I need to see a close up of all the finishes on those walls I love the brick I can see but not the garage door or either of the other doors and for sure no storm doors on either . Is that a window to the left of the door with the awning? I need to see the whole front of the house please .

• dschell5
    Original Author
    9 days ago

Patricia, I'll see if i can get better pictures. The brick reads a light concrete color and has zero variation. The fireplace chimney is massive and has greys/golds/oranges.

The eaves on this house are really deep and extend about 18 inches beyond the house. Any type of awning is too low and also detracts from the eaves which is one of the best architectural features of the house. I'll get better pics and post.

I think the whites on this house and that grey trim seem very wrong. and yes, bushrs and tree need a hard prune.

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    9 days ago

The stone has a very yellow-ish cast to it. I think white and gray are not the right choices for the non-stone areas. Stick with earth tones. A light sage green or a light taupe might be nice for the siding, and then go with off-white or beige for the trim.

• kandrewspa
    9 days ago

You're right about the gray and white. You should try cream where there's white and taupe for trim. Maybe the front door could be green. Look at Benjamin Moore's historic colors. They have a lot of colors that are good for exteriors.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    9 days ago

When you take the new photos, make sure the sun is at your back so the house is not shadowed.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    9 days ago

🙂Looks like a nice house! You’ll get lots of great ideas here.

dschell5 thanked ShadyWillowFarm
  • houssaon
    9 days ago

I think this house will be adorable once you've added your touches.

Thinning the tree and pruning the bushes will open the house.

I think warm gray will look good with the stone. You could also go creamy white.

dschell5 thanked houssaon
  • housegal200
    9 days ago

As others suggested, start with tree trimming and bush trimming to open up the house. Then:

--Pick the lightest golden cream in the stone and paint the house that color. You also have stone walls in those gold tones, so you want everything to echo each other. Paint the garage door same color as the rest of the house. Several possibilities:

Add light sage front door and trims.

Golden taupe for house and trims with cherry red door (or could also be blue door)

It's a nice house. When budget allows, an open portico over the front door, instead of awning, would be welcoming and protective--smaller version of this. Also note the palette of this house with similar stone.

dschell5 thanked housegal200
  • ffpalms
    9 days ago

This adorable stone house, with mature landscaping and a meandering sidewalk up a hill gives off a fairy tale vibe. I even like that old fashioned striped awning. I’d go full-on cottage! I love that hardware on housegal’s first photo.

• dschell5
    Original Author
    9 days ago

Following is some additional pics for color of brick and stone. To me, the house gives off more of a mid Century vibe with a dash of Frank Llyod Wright thrown in.

• dschell5
    Original Author
    9 days ago

• dschell5
    Original Author
    9 days ago

the sir lance alot detail in that front window and the door knocker will be eliminated also. also needs agr appropriate door hardware.

• dschell5
    Original Author
    9 days ago

Here is a pic of the fireplace hearth from inside. Ill be posting for suggestions in whether to stay natural or paint or resurface hearth separately. i love the fireplace feature itself design wide, but something is a bit off about the color combination. also will defintely be remiving ehite storm doors outside.,

• housegal200
    9 days ago

Wow! That door, the fireplace wall, and floors. I'm already voting do not paint. Those features are gorgeous. Start an Inspiration Book for "Midcentury living room wood features" or something like that.

• housegal200
    9 days ago

When you're ready to tackle interior, start a new thread. Your additional photos show a very wonderful house. Palette is a little like these--light earth tones.

Mid-Century Modern · More Info

Mid-Century Mollica Front Landscape - Wauwatosa · More Info

Mid-Century Front Walk - Wauwatosa · More Info

dschell5 thanked housegal200
  • dschell5
    Original Author
    8 days ago

Thank you housegal, I really like the landscape lights you suggested. They'd be perfect.

My daughter has been collecting MCM furniture for years and this house will be perfect setting for her things.

• houssaon
    8 days ago

I love the fireplace wall. Maybe a more interesting tile can be found. The color of the walls could be changed to complement the paneling. But you should start another thread to focus on interior rooms.

The pathway to the front door looks wonky. Wonder why they had it go to the chimney instead of the front door.

• decoenthusiaste
    8 days ago

MCM exterior lights would do a lot. They should be 1/3 of the front door's height. The chimney looks like it might need some work; re-pointing and cleaning might be in order. Eventually, I would want to rework the walk, but that can wait. What color is the mortar and is it the same on brick and stone? That might be the place to find your trim color or a lighter variation of it.

• dschell5
    Original Author
    8 days ago

If you look at the first pic youll see why the walk work the way it does. its a double wslk and goes on both sides of the tree. because the door is on a sloped elevation it had to land at yhe fireplace and turn. it looks good in person and some of what youre seeing is bad camera angle. it would be expensive but giant stone steps would be best.

• ffpalms
    yesterday
    last modified: yesterday

As you and others have made clear, this is an MCM gem, not the fairy tale cottage I mistook it for. I hope you’ll update this post once you incorporate some of the ideas.

dschell5 thanked ffpalms