SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
westes

Do Plants Do Photosynthesis Even When They Are Not Growing?

I have some plant science questions around photosynthesis:

* The resources linked below are making the claim that plants only do photosynthesis when they are growing. Their analytical method is to look at how much carbon is produced by photosynthesis, as CO2 is split to produce carbon and oxygen. They are inferring that all of that carbon goes to building new tissue in the plant. Therefore their claim is that all photosynthesis goes to plant growth:

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/1999-02/917906305.Bt.r.html

https://www.gardenmyths.com/houseplants-increase-oxygen-levels/

Is that strictly true? Can't plants use carbon to simply repair existing tissues, not adding any new net weight to the plant? At some intuitive level, I want to believe that plants produce oxygen whenever they get light and have CO2 and water available, even when the plants are not "growing".

* Plant respiration takes in oxygen and releases CO2. The amounts of CO2 used in photosynthesis greatly outnumbers the CO2 released by plant respiration. But the surprise for me was that plants in the dark only produce CO2, and they never do photosynthesis to release oxygen. So at night plants release more CO2 than they consume.

I connected this to the stories you occasionally read about people dying in root cellars. Most people blame these deaths on some poisonous gas released by rotting potatoes roots. But in a very dark root cellar, is it possible that the plants are just respiring for weeks at a time, and CO2 - which is heavier than oxygen - might just be collecting in the root cellar? That would explain why sometimes whole families get wiped out, with one person after another collapsing in the root cellar, and then rescuers follow them in and also collapse. This suggests to me that a root cellar should always be given some light, so that the plants can do some photosynthesis to use up the CO2 from respiration.

Comments (5)

Sponsored