SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jpoptart

Help with kitchen remodel, please!

jpoptart
2 years ago

Hi there! Requesting design help with a kitchen, please!

Our existing kitchen is awkwardly wide (there used to be a small breakfast nook, we think—a wall was removed to widen the kitchen) but not large enough for an island.

Here is some info:

Goals/overview

• Primary goal is more counter and storage space! More than half the kitchen (previous breakfast nook) is empty and storage/counter-less :(
  • If possible, I would like room for a pantry, even if it is simply more storage and not a traditional ceiling/floor storage situation.
  • We do use the kitchen to cook and bake. It would be ideal to open that large wall into the living room, but it is unfortunately out of our budget.
  • We would like to work within the existing footprint, ideally keeping the stove, sink, and fridge where they are—but of course, open to ideas.

Details

• There is an awkward post on the west wall to the right of window 1. We are confirming if this can be removed—our neighbor who has the same kitchen removed theirs, so we are hopeful. We can live with building cabinets around if if needed.
  • Window 1 - This is a tall window (61"x36 3/4"). We are open to getting rid of it entirely (window 2 provides sufficient light), however, more light is never terrible.
  • Window 2 - This is a bay window with counter (37”x74”)—see pic. It's hard to open the windows (I have to get on a stool) and it's awkward that they're frosted. I'd like to replace this, but unsure what is the best option.
  • Appliances - Replace range, dishwasher, and ventilation hood; add microwave; use existing fridge and washer/dryer (existing can be stacked). Unsure what desired range and dishwasher sizes should be.
  • Other details - The house is quite old, so we need to spend budget on getting plumbing and electrical up to code. The floor is also uneven so we'll also need to even the floors. Probably other things that will come up along the way, too :)

Sharing a few images:

Note: Measurements are accurate but counters/appliances are not to scale.

1. Existing kitchen layout
  2. Existing bay window above sink
  3. Idea 1 - This provides lots of storage and a bit more counter space, but the space between fridge and counter is still far. We'd also remove window 1 entirely as window 2 provides sufficient light. But would close up the space a bit. We'd stack the W/D and add cabinetry to the laundry area.
  4. Idea 2 - Our neighbors have our same kitchen and they added this peninsula. Perhaps a bit crammed since there is the south wall, but not as bad as I imagined. This provides lots of close counter space, storage, and ability to have a few folks at the peninsula with stools.

After speaking with a few remodeling companies, we've decided to do as much as we can with Ikea cabinets and some contractor help.

Please let me know if I'm missing any info or details—I welcome your thoughts and ideas. Thank you in advance!

Comments (9)