SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
funkyartoo

Do you consider yourself a Foodie?

Funkyart
last year

Let me start by saying, I don't consider myself a foodie because there are wayyyy too many things i can't or won't eat.. including but not limited to: olives, sour cream, yogurt, most innards, soft cheeses (bleu cheese and feta in particular). Also, I no longer eat raw oysters thanks to an unfortunate experience with giardia.

That said, based on the definitions below, I would be considered a foodie.. I could talk about/think about food and cooking all day. I read cookbooks for .. fun and to learn new flavor combinations and techniques. I come up with my own recipes.. and try to reproduce restaurant dishes. I love to try new things and I follow "food" news.

From Google

• Oxford Languages: a person with a particular interest in food; a gourmet.
  • Merriam-Webster: a person having an avid interest in the latest food fads.

I think a foodie has a great appreciation for good quality ingredients and how to treat them, understands flavor profiles. umami and the importance of balancing sweet, salty, acid, values food science and technique and is always trying new things. There's more -- but I am recognizing that my definition leans more towards cooking/preparing dishes than just consuming them. It unfairly (?) excludes those who just love to consume good foods-- gourmands.

My friends and family certainly consider me a foodie-- but only relative to themselves. I haven't even cooked much in the last few years-- but I do still have a love for food and food writing.. is that enough? I don't really care if i have earned the label or not.. but I think it is an interesting discussion.

What do you think makes a "foodie"?

Are you a foodie?

Comments (111)