SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lincoln97

Small wrinkles under my eyes coming in :-(

I am 53 and I see those fine lines starting. Any advice, friends? I use Renova and Vitamin C religiously, but obviously not under my eyes. I only put Neutogena moisturizer there. Anything else I should be doing?

Any prescription products/procedures, or fancy creams, I'll pay just about anything to slow this down. Realistically, I am pretty sure I know the answer here, just hoping.

Comments (73)

• PRO
    MDLN
    last year

Contains: White Petrolatum 94%

Since it's safe enough to use IN the eyes, is safe for around eyes.

After an eye injury, used a tube of this every week for years, getting my cornea to heal. Was impressed since almost every other eye solution causes me eye irritation.

Zalco/bring back Sophie! thanked MDLN
  • Arapaho-Rd
    last year

MDLN - my Mom uses Genteal Ointment on the skin around her eyes for moisture. The skin gets irritated from her Rx eye drops. I never checked but I bet it's the same thing. Thank you for posting this.

Zalco/bring back Sophie! thanked Arapaho-Rd
  • Related Discussions

Neutrogena anti wrinkle deep wrinkle serum 10 stars

Q

Comments (11)
    I should have taken a before picture but I didn't like the way I looked. The lines around my mouth were quite deep and the ones around my eyes were getting worse. I still have some on my upper lip but it looks much better than before I started using this. I did put on some L'Oreal Youth Code after the Neutrogena this morning but even without it there is a huge difference, it says you will see a difference in a week but I didn't expect it to make that much difference. Jodi, that is the correct URL. Sorry, I should have checked it but my DD was waiting for me to go out so I was hurrying. There are several sites that have reviews on it. One 20 year old girl said she didn't see any difference. Are you kidding me?! A 20 year old doesn't have any deep wrinkles. It doesn't smell nice but it's not bad. The Retinal makes it work and I've heard doctors say that going back to the serum that we used to use works much better. If it burns you should use it every other day. You can surprise your family and friends for the holidays if you start using this now I hope it works as well for you. .
    ...See More

Recommend a under eye concealer?

Q

Comments (14)
    Boing eye concealer by benefit works well for me. The right shade is really important, IME. Too light makes things worse. I find a bit darker than my foundation is better than too light. http://www.sephora.com/boi-ing-indistrial-strength-full-coverage-concealer-P1273?skuId=1073980&om_mmc=ppc-GG_194585799_15762231519_pla-83842464039_1073980_50233217079_9029606_t&country_switch=us&lang=en&gclid=CIqMsLz3ydQCFYFqfgodzyILFw&gclsrc=aw.ds
    ...See More

Under Eye Wrinkles

Q

Comments (42)
    Shee, thanks for explaining baking. It would seem to me that you need a pretty smooth canvas (skin) for that to work. Otherwise, it will either sit in or on top of wrinkles and eventually crack and look worse. Catty, I use Retin A and tend to cover my entire face, but am careful around my eyes. I don't know how old all of you are, but once you get wrinkles and gravity begins its work, I don't think you're going to get any lasting fixes from creams and powders. That ship has already sailed. About 15 years ago I had my eyes done. I had inherited little pooches under my eyes. Lots of people have them. They looked okay when I was young, but as I aged, they became very baggy. Ugh. The surgery took care of it. However within a couple of years I noticed that the skin under my eyes looked a little crepey, like skin where there's substantial weight loss. I had some laser work done and that took care of that. Now, guess what? No bags, so a little tendency to hollow. A bit of filler every 18-24 months takes care of it. I'm not talking crazy cheek fillers, just a little spackle here and there.
    ...See More

Follow up on under eye wrinkles

Q

Comments (25)
    When we were in Palm Springs last month, I got dragged into a salon, and a Brazilian woman put some under-eye gel on the bags under my eyes, and the bags went away completely. She used Venofye Royal Jelly Eye Beelift, and then tried to sell me a bottle of it for $300. I told her I thought that was too expensive, and so she went down to $200, which I still thought was expensive, but I had never had anything like this. The effects last for several days, and she told me to use it once a week, which I have started doing. I was shocked to see the $700 price on line, but I think you should be able to find it cheaper. Try to find a salon that can give you a free demonstration. I think this might be the same product for $120.00 from Amazon, but it looks slightly different, and the name is different.
    ...See More
  • ratherbesewing
    last year

Virgos unite! I make lists for lists. For example, I am going to an out of town wedding in a few weeks, so by Monday, I plan to start my pack list.

Zalco/bring back Sophie! thanked ratherbesewing
  • Allison0704
    last year

When I LOL and wake up the 2yo, DD2 is going to come after each and every one that causes an outburst.

Jinx, I am also a crab but I made a sticky note packing list yesterday because my things are in four rooms and two closets. That's what happens when you slit a tire after shopping. 🙄

I've had old lady hand for years due to not moisturizing them for decades. For several years I've been trying different products without any luck. Just a week ago I started using an Avene repair lotion that was given to me by a Dr after getting HALO treatments. It's been a miracle cream for me so I ordered a few more of their products including one made specifically for hands.

Recently I read a tidbit on Beautypedia that said eye creams are not really necessary. You just need to buy a product with X in its ingredients. Since I have a new jar of eye cream I didn't think long about it, but I want to find that info again.

Zalco/bring back Sophie! thanked Allison0704
  • bbstx
    last year
    last modified: last year

As I’ve said before, I use Emogene & Co products. Small batch, woman-owned company, no preservatives. The pharmacist who owns it the company and hand produces the products says consistent usage is the most important part of getting any skin care product to work.

Also remember to put the product on the occipital bone, not close to your eye.

Zalco/bring back Sophie! thanked bbstx
  • Sueb20
    last year

My nekkid eye in natural light (no makeup, sitting by a window). It’s those lines and discoloration under my eyes that are popping up these days and bugging me. Guess I need to broaden my application of eye cream ie go lower. Also need to clean up the brows but don’t judge.

Zalco/bring back Sophie! thanked Sueb20
  • deegw
    last year

Sue, I'm glad you like the aqua bomb. I'm the one who evangelizes about it every time we have an eye thread. I've tried different things, I always come back to it.

Allison, just the other day one of the kindies at school asked me, " Why is your face young and your hands are old?". LOL

I am a list maker but I am an Aquarius.

Zalco/bring back Sophie! thanked deegw
  • Sueb20
    last year

Dee my DD is an Aquarious and so was my mom, both list makers of the highest order.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

one of the kindies at school asked me, " Why is your face young and your hands are old?"

This is a very good reason to avoid any work with our nation's youth.

Zalco/bring back Sophie! thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • blfenton
    last year

I haven't seen sunglasses mentioned yet. If you're not wearing sunglasses with a decent set of lenses in them those wrinkles will just crop up. If I'm driving and feel the corners of my eyes tightening, on go the sunglasses. Even if it's cloudy there can be a glare.

Oh and hydrate. Water is great for the skin.

Zalco/bring back Sophie! thanked blfenton
  • Tina Marie
    last year

I dont have undereye wrinkles but i have slight lines at the corners. retinal has softened them. i use a face cream and an eye cream per my derm. sunscreen is a must (and sunglasses) and sunscreen on hands.

Zalco/bring back Sophie! thanked Tina Marie
  • Arapaho-Rd
    last year

I've used many - right now finishing up 100% Pure Coffee Bean Eye Cream. They've changed the formulation and packaging so I'm falling out of love. So many I've tried I need to come up with a list and a review I guess. Came across this just now. Anyone tried this?

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    last year

My mother used petroleum jelly - tried other products from time to time but always returned to it. She also avoided the sun religiously. At age 90 her skin was still extraordinarily smooth - she didn't look a day over 70! She also advocated castor oil for cleansing.

I unfortunately have not followed her example well enough, although I have used the highest spf sunscreen I could get, and a wide visor when running and biking. The areas of my face and neck that now have wrinkles and sagging are the areas that the visor didn't shade and where the SPF was perspired away. I also have genetic (I think) dark undereye circles from my father's mother (but no bags or wrinkles - yet) - so I always look like I haven't slept for days. I wish something would help that!

If I compare photos of us at the same age, I look at least a decade older.

Zalco/bring back Sophie! thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • Funkyart
    last year

@Sueb20.. we're the same age (I believe?) and your eyes look sooo young compared to mine! My issue is dark circles and puffiness more than wrinkles.. but regardless, mine look like I've had a long, hard life lol.

Zalco/bring back Sophie! thanked Funkyart
  • Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    Original Author
    last year

Sueb, Your eyes look fab! Is this what you use?

• bbstx
    last year

I just did an eye pic like Sueb. OMG‼️ You will NOT be seeing it. The wrinkles aren’t awful, but the redness and puffiness from fighting seasonal allergies right now are hideous!

• Sueb20
    last year

Aww thanks, Funky and Z! Yup, that’s what I have.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

I took a "Sue pic" too. We are sad, the other generation is posting ___ pics. 🤣

Mine is deleted. I have an excuse. The plague, oh and insomnia. I think I am gonna feel ok about my "wrinkle free" proclamation. But my under eye circles are not just dark, they include many parts of the color wheel. I will post after eleventybilliony hours of sleep.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

It just arrived! I can get Sue Eyes!

• Allison0704
    last year

I am home now, so was able to search for the no need for special eye cream info on Beautypedia.

Copy/Pasted from here. Under "Expert Reviews," Scroll down just past Pros/Cons.

Why You May Not Need an Eye Cream: There’s much you can do to address signs of aging around your eyes, but it’s not mandatory to use a product that’s marketed specifically for the eye area. Any product loaded with antioxidants, emollients, skin-repairing and skin-brightening agents, and skin-soothing ingredients will also work well in the eye area. Those ingredients don’t have to come in a product labeled eye cream, eye gel, eye serum, or eye balm—they can be present in any well-formulated moisturizer or serum.

Most of the products designated as exclusively for the eye area are not really necessary because they contain nothing special for the eye area, they come in packaging that will not maintain the effectiveness of their key ingredients, and/or they are poorly formulated with fragrance or other irritants.

Just because a product is labeled as a special eye-area treatment does not mean it’s good for the eye area, or for any part of the face; in fact, many can make matters worse.

It’s staggering how many eye-area products lack even the most basic ingredients to help skin. For example, most eye-area products don’t contain sunscreen, which is a serious problem because it leaves skin around your eyes vulnerable to sun damage—and that absolutely will make dark circles, puffiness, and wrinkles worse. Of course, for nighttime use, eye-area products without sun protection are just fine. If you opt to apply an eye cream without sunscreen during the day, be sure to apply a sunscreen rated SPF 30 or greater over it.

Any product you use in the eye area must be well formulated and appropriate for the skin type around your eyes. You might prefer to use a product specially labeled as an eye cream, but you might do just as well by applying your regular facial moisturizer and/or serum around your eyes. Experiment to see what combination of products gives you the best results.

Original Author
    last year

I took a Sueb eye pic too. Well the wrinkles around the eyes problem was ok. The 11s looked like ruts in the road and the pores on my nose were canyons, plus you could see lots tiny discolored spots, which I was blissfully unaware of until now. Aside from that, I looked great!

• Jilly
    last year

Zalco. 😄

I’m scared to take a Sueb eye pic.

Zalco/bring back Sophie! thanked Jilly
  • Jilly
    last year

Stop making me laugh, I don’t want more wrinkles.

• Jilly
    last year

Omg! I just remembered an old Morgan Fairchild interview from the ’80’s … she demonstrated how she figured out a way to smile that would prevent wrinkles you get from real smiles. I was a teenager and sure that I didn’t need to listen to that nonsense … being middle aged was like 400 yrs away.

• Funkyart
    last year

OK, so I just had to be part of the "in" crowd.. just had to go and take a miserable closeup of my eyes...

No surprises with the dark circles or puffiness ... BUT OMG! I discovered that I have gray hairs in my eyebrows!!! I had no idea (remember i am half blind.. and apparently full on oblivious!) I just started getting gray hairs on my head about 6 months ago-- I guess they are coming with a vengeance. A gray tsunami.

I need a nap to process this.

• Allison0704
    last year

@Zalco/bring back Sophie! I purchased a Simple Human sensor mirror trio. I only use to pluck eyebrows but I can see how they could use one in a horror movie.

• bbstx
    last year

My make-up mirror is a 10x magnification. It shows everything. I don’t think I ever look at my whole face at one time in it. I just look at the one tiny area I’m working on. A full face at 10x and I would pull the covers over my head and never come out!

Original Author
    last year

Love you all!

Thank you so much for humoring me.

• User
    last year

it’s not mandatory to use a product that’s marketed specifically for the eye area.

Allison0704, that pretty much sums up the kind of information I've been reading about for many years. I have a lot of trust in Paula, she's amazing.

I strive to keep my routine as minimal as possible. I've been using the same face lotion for nearly 30 years now, day and night (the sunscreen in it doesn't irritate and the lotion feels non-greasy, so why not). After I smear it all over my face and let it soak in, I come back and dot an additional layer around the eyes and any other dry spot. I felt like that double layer was moisturizing enough, w/o having to have a separate product.

As for "actives", I've been using generic retin-a forever. It's cheap, and my dermatologist confirmed that retinol is retinol. The most important thing is how strong it is and how well you protect/moisturize with it.

Zalco/bring back Sophie! thanked User
  • Funkyart
    last year

I had a woman at the chanel counter once smack me on the arm because I was using a moisturizer (one of theirs) that would have been appropriate in my 20s/30s but not my late 40s. What are you using, Seattle that has served you well for so long?

• User
    last year

Olay Complete SPF 15 -- specifically the one for sensitive skin, which contains zinc as one of the sunscreens. In the summer I switch to their SPF 30 (and use the 15 as the night lotion). And on "major sun" days, I wear a different brand product that's SPF 50..... and a hat.

I realize that's more than one product, but still, the point is that I don't feel like I need to add an eye cream or nighttime lotion to the mix. In the winter/fall/spring, it's just one bottle in my cabinet, and I share it with my husband.

My skin is sensitive and super reactive, anything with Avobenzone makes my face kind of sting, and it also feels so greasy and gross. It seems to be the most common ingredient in like, 90% of "daytime" moisturizers. Olay uses Octinoxate and Zinc, which doesn't sting or feel greasy. AND zinc has soothing properties, so that's why I like it at night. Their lotions quite simply feel nice to me. I've tried a bunch of other brands and they're just never as good.

• bbstx
    last year

Interesting, SEA. I have extremely sensitive skin. I bought the Olay for sensitive skin and it caused such a reaction that I could not leave the house for 2 weeks. I had taken their quiz about what product to buy. They were very nice about taking everything back.

• OutsidePlaying
    last year

I’m 73 and have tried a lot of different eye creams over the past several years. About 5 years ago it seemed as if suddenly nothing was working as it had worked for me before. I tried cheaper creams, expensive creams, every sample thing I could find. I am currently using Kiehls‘s Midnight Recovery Eye at night and the Belif Moisturizing eye bomb by day. I found some others I actually liked but the deal breaker was that it made my undereye concealer settle too much in the creases. Hated that. The Eye Bomb doesnt seem to do that as much. I also pat on a very small amount of retinol occasionally but not every night.

I also loved an Obagi sample I received but it was so expensive I decided it really wasn't worth it.

Good luck finding something that works for you, and stick with it until it no longer works and try something else.

Zalco/bring back Sophie! thanked OutsidePlaying
  • llitm
    last year

This youtuber is a school teacher, in her late 50's IIRC, and reviews a lot of well priced products. In this video she talks about how $$$ drug store skin care products have become. She mentions Maelove which seems to be well priced and effective (based on her review as well as others I've seen). Her skin does look better than a few months ago; not that it ever looked bad but the vertical line between her eyes has definitely improved and the overall appearance seems a little tighter. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEkAFoV-t84

Zalco/bring back Sophie! thanked llitm
    Original Author
    last year

Allison, I ordered the hand cream (x3) to get the cute peach tote ;-) I felt like a teenager at the Clinique counter.

• Allison0704
    last year

PEACH TOTE?! Wasn't offered when I ordered. LOL Did you get your 4% from Rakuten too?!

• Sueb20
    last year

Seattle, pls tell us about the generic retin-a?

• OutsidePlaying
    last year

Allison, which hand cream are you referring to please? I need to address hands.

• User
    last year

I use Tretinoin Cream 0.05% (there are stronger and milder versions of this too). It's an off label use, but perfectly common.

The way my dermatologist explained it, they're all in the category of "retinoids", it only matters how strong it is. If you're a label reader, an OTC product might say "Retinol 1%", but Retinol is different from Tretinoin, so even though it's 1%, it's not nearly as strong. Tretinoin is more effective.

Tretinoin can be irritating though. I get the cream base, and I started out with 0.025% applied over my moisturizer, and worked up from there. I have mild rosacea and tolerated it just fine.

My insurance won't cover it because it's technically an acne product. I ask the pharmacist, there's always a coupon available, so it winds up being about $45-65 for a 45g tube -- which lasts me about 3-4 months (using it every day).

Look prices up on goodrx.com. they'll give you quotes from different pharmacies, and the prices can vary wildly between target, walgreens, etc.

• Allison0704
    last year

@OutsidePlaying This is the one I am currently using, since I have three tubes from Drs office. Since they make this one specifically for hands, I have ordered it to try.

ETA: I am using for wrinkles aka old lady hands, no chapped or cracking.

Original Author
    last year

And here is the peach tote :-)

Outside, one of my sons gets very red, dry, chapped, bumpy hands in the spring. The doctor says it's allergy related. I slathered his hands in the Neutrogena Hydroboost gel for the face and his lands looked great right away.

• llitm
    last year

I use the highest strength of Retin A on my hands, neck and chest. Wouldn't recommend for everyone but my skin tolerates it well.

Zalco/bring back Sophie! thanked llitm
  • Allison0704
    last year

@Zalco/bring back Sophie! I went to see the tote. Even though I don't place orders just because of a "free" gift, sometimes I do get them anyway. DD2 might be able to use. Or I'll donate. They don't list the size of the tote, so wondering how big (or small) it is IRL. It is cute though.

Original Author
    last year

And if you don't want to wait for a prescription for the Retin-A, there are online pharmacies which will get you an Rx for a small fee.

PS Life is really full circle. My original Retin-A prescriptions were indeed for acne.

• User
    last year

I'm 46 and still have acne. Less so, and I think my birth control is helping, but yeah. :(

Aging, rosacea and occasional deep volcanic zits. FUN!

• Arapaho-Rd
    last year

Allison, I too am checking out Avene for my hands that were so dry this winter and still this spring no matter how much or which lotion I applied after all the hand-washing. Thank you for the tip!

• OutsidePlaying
    last year

Thanks, Allison. I will check that out. The older i get, the more I notice my hands need moisture ALL the time. No more just lotion, full-fledged hand cream.

I love Aveda Foot Relief, but can’t stand the fragrance of the Hand Relief. At Christmas they came out with a small version in Rosemary Mint that was nice. I always prefer unscented but this was light enough and pleasant and I would buy a large version in a heartbeat if they sold it.

• User
    last year

I really love Aveeno for hand lotion. They have a SPF 15 lotion that is amazing -- very moisturizing and not greasy. t's so hard to find though!

https://www.aveeno.com/products/daily-moisturizing-lotion-spf-15

• Allison0704
    last year

The "current one" I linked is thicker. I received the hand lotion today. I've only used once, and it is thinner. Doubtful it will help will wrinkles since my hands are too far gone, but at least they will be soft. I wish I had used hand lotion regularly, and used sunscreen on my hands when driving.