SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amylou321

Floof! You've heard of victory gardens.....

amylou321
2 years ago

What about garden victories?

I am in a nasty mood, mainly because of a pile on of bad news and experiences lately, so I am trying to cheer myself up by focusing on the positive. I love my garden so I will start there.

Recent Victories:

I have never ever been able to grow hydrangeas. Ever. I plant them, they bloom, and then they die. Every Single Year. Well, I am stubborn and continued to plant them every year. This year, the ones I planted last year actually came back this year! Yay! I mean, they do not look GREAT by any means.....but they are ALIVE! I'll take that as a victory. Of course, SO accidently mowed one down to the ground, not knowing that it was supposed to be there, but again I am determined to focus on the POSITIVE and forget about that incident for now.

This year I bought some large raised garden beds from Vego Gardens. I really love them and this year was my first year attempting to grow broccoli, cabbage and collard greens, and they were all a rousing success! I netted the entire beds in insect netting so that I had ZERO cabbage worms or any kind of insect damage on any of them, and my freezer is now stocked with cooked collard greens, ready to eat whenever SO wants them. ( I do not eat them but he loves them and even said they were the tastiest he's ever had. And before anyone thinks he is trying to flatter me, I can assure you that MY SO gives absolutely no false compliments. If he thought store bought ones tasted better, he would say so to save me the trouble next year.) I am the only one who eats broccoli and it was SO GOOD! I know to plant more than 6 plants next year!

This year I also attempted to grow potatoes for the first time. Of course I couldn't just grow normal potatoes. I chose Magic Molly, which are a deep dark purple, and Adirondack red, which are, in fact actually pink. They are doing very well in those raised beds too and I am very excited about them.

Have you any garden victories to celebrate yet? I know its early in the year.....

Comments (9)