Floof! Funny quirks..SO edition!

amylou321

My SO is weird. That's okay, because I am too. I thought I would share one of his many quirks and invite others to share their SOs quirks as well.

My SO and I were laying in bed. He was trying to sleep, so I had control of the remote. I was on YouTube watching videos. This particular day, I was looking for a recipe for chicken dressing. One of SOs mothers specialties and one of his favorites. He will not be going to her house this year for Thanksgiving. And I do not really care for her so I am not going to ask for her recipe. So there I was watching away, when I suppose SO heard what I was watching and took an interest. It was then that his quirk came out:

"Turn that one off. She's nasty." (He objected to her very VERY long, fake fingernails and her method of mixing things with her hands with said fingernails still attached)

"Not that one, look at that cat in the back! Its all over the counter while she's cooking! Its SNIFFING THE CHICKEN! Yuck!"

"Look, either turn her off or mute her. She is getting on my NERVES!" (She was getting on mine as well. she was very over the top, loud and fast talking. Not the point!)

I finally pointed out that its not like he is going to be eating the ACTUAL food that THEY cooked. So it doesn't matter if a cat dragged its butt across the food after it was mixed with long fake contaminated nails while someone sang and danced a jig around it. I was just looking at the recipe and how they cooked it. I am a stuffing gal. This stuff is new to me. Anyway, it seems that did not matter to him. Apparently, people with "nasty" nails and cat covered counters and loud personalities are not to be trusted with cooking advice. I waited until he went to sleep to watch more.

So weird.

Any to add?

SaveComment37Like3
Comments (37)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marilyn_c

Well, I am weird....I have a compulsion to "feel ears".

When I was about 3 yrs old, my mother was a telephone operator. The switchboard was in our house. A stray cat wandered up, and I claimed it and named it Blue Bell, after the blue bell on the Southwestern Bell telephone sign. I liked to feel it's ears...I would rub the ear over my thumbnail and feel the coolness against my thumbnail. My mother said I rubbed all the hair off it's ears. I doubt that. I doubt a cat would sit still long enough for much ear rubbing.

Anyway, I used to like to feel Jody's ears when it was cold. I remember being in the truck between him and his brother, and it was very cold and I almost had to sit on my hands to keep from feeling his brother's ears. I didn't do it tho. And I didn't even like his brother, but cold ears so close to me.....

To this day, almost every time I pet one of my dogs or cats....I feel their ears. No rubbing the hair off. I just sneak a little feel.

I probably just should have kept this to myself...rather than telling all of you about it.

13 Likes Save     Thanked by amylou321
marilyn_c

Oh....was this supposed to be about SO? I confessed for nothing. I can't think of anything weird about Jody......

8 Likes Save     Thanked by amylou321
foodonastump

Don’t worry it was worth the read.

6 Likes Save     Thanked by amylou321
amylou321

It can really be about anything or anyone! That incident just reminded me of one of my SOs "things". I am so weird about so many things...according to other people anyway. To me I am perfectly normal, for what THATS worth.

I have a dog who will not eat a fry if it has ketchup on it. He spits it out and looks at me as if I betrayed him. That's weird to me...

3 Likes Save    
foodonastump

My wife has some weird reactions. One is to feeling trapped. If I hug her tight it’s fine. Hold on a second to long and she feels trapped and goes into a laughing fit. Keep holding on as she begs to be let go and it’ll eventually turn into crying. No I don’t do this regularly.

Another is she’ll physically react to verbal descriptions. Let’s say I find something in the fridge that’s well past its prime. “OMG check out this mold growing on the sour cream.” No she won’t check it out, she’ll start dry-heaving and scream at me to get rid of it. First time you see it, it seems like she’s just being dramatic, but it’s a genuine physical reaction.

5 Likes Save     Thanked by amylou321
morz8

Marilyn, I think its great that all the years you've been with Jody you can think of nothing weird about him. I can think of all kinds of little things about my DH that are pretty dumb. I'm so used to him I no longer notice most, and now that I'm older I appreciate him so much. It was luck, at 21 I didn't have a clue how to choose a life's partner. I honestly don't know how I'd be able to see - and oversee care for long distance as POA - my mother without his cooperation and enthusiasm.

If I started listing them I'd probably sound like a cranky old thing ;0)

He loves things with a tomato sauce base and will not eat a raw tomato. Or celery unless I dice it finely and hide it in something cooked so it has no crunch.

A bit of eggshell makes its way into something and you'd think I'd intentionally poisoned him from the scene he throws.

He packs enough for four men for an overnight trip because you never know when you might want something you didn't think of. The reverse of that is I never have to worry about having everything I need. An aspirin, bandaid, dry socks, clean shirt, clean towel, bottle of water....it's in his truck. He forgets nothing. A great guy to go clam digging or berry picking with ;0)

Oh, and he gets his hair cut every three weeks like clockwork. He's more than 40% bald. He spends more on haircuts than I do.

8 Likes Save     Thanked by amylou321
wildchild2x2

He will eat the exact same thing for a meal for months or even years. During his working days it was his sandwich for lunch. Now in retirement it's breakfast. Then one random day without warning he will decide he no longer likes that food. In the past he has even gone to denying he ever liked something. After 10 months of two eggs, 3 slices of thick cut bacon and two slices of white (untoasted) bread every single morning he is now onto oatmeal. The rest of his meals are varied. But breakfast is consistent. At least he makes it himself. Bonus.

7 Likes Save     Thanked by amylou321
kathyg_in_mi

My DH is perfect!

At least that’s what he tells me!

9 Likes Save     Thanked by amylou321
patriceny

My spouse, may God love his soul, keeps the outside of our homes beautiful.

He's got a degree in landscape architecture and the outside of our homes are beautiful. Perfectly landscaped, beautiful hardscapes, paver walkways, retaining walls, not a blade of grass out of place. The guy can't sleep at night if he thinks the grass is a eighth of an inch too high.

It does not carry over inside.

He is a walking menace inside. Keys get dropped where ever, clothes are scattered all over the place, coats get dropped inside the door instead of hung up, he spills food that he doesn't notice. It's like he can't even SEE the mess he's making.

I sigh and clean it up. He's a good guy and certainly does more than his fair share outside. But wow he's a walking mess maker inside.

4 Likes Save     Thanked by amylou321
Elizabeth

My DH will only eat a hot meal if it is cooled to room temperature. Everything. It is what I consider cold.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by amylou321
seagrass_gw

My DH is a total slob. There are areas of our house, like our walk thru study/office which is his domain, that I have completely given up on. In anticipation of certain houseguests, he will clean that space but only then does it have some semblance of order.

And don't get me started on the garage. He keeps two track cars in it. Along with an extra set of wheels and tires for both of them as well as other automotive paraphernalia. These are not small tires, they are racing slicks. I had to negotiate with him for a small corner of space to keep some of my gardening stuff. And when I cleaned off our front deck last week I told him I put a few things in the garage. "What did you put in there?" Uh, your shovel and a rake.

arkansas girl

I think these will make me overlook some of the weird things my husband does, which, at the moment, I can't think of! HAHA! ...let me think.....

Well, ok so he slurps his coffee and tea, he says it's because it's hot. It doesn't matter, the coffee could be sitting for 30 minutes and he's still slurping. He will lick his utensils in the restaurant after he finishes his savory meal and is onto dessert. I almost came unhinged when I saw him do that so he doesn't do that anymore at the restaurant! He licks his fingers when he's eating, or should I say, he sucks his fingers. He stirs his coffee for what seems like 5 minutes to mix in the sugar. He freaks out if he gets a drop of food on his lounging around the house clothing and will run to the sink and grab a wash cloth and come back to the table with half of his shirt soaking wet when the food drop was only the size of a PEA! He combs his hair A LOT, if he's fixing to take a shower, he will comb his hair after he takes off his shirt before he's getting into the shower. I could go on...he's a bit quirky! But my goodness, he's the sweetest soul you could ever hope to meet!

Annie Deighnaugh

Oh so many drive me crazy, and then I remind myself that there may be a time when I wish he was here to drive me crazy, so there's that.

He is definitely a more is better guy. He'll have a batch of muffins in the oven, the timer will go off, he'll test them with a toothpick and it comes out clean, the color is good, they bounce back when you touch them, and he says, "I think they're done. I'll give them another minute." GRRR!! No matter how many times I tell him there's no "un-bake" if you over do it, he does it anyway.

Well his penchant had us in a real mess the other day. He's a dear who does all the laundry which I love. In the past, though, he's overdone the detergent and we've had a "suds explosion". The last time he did it, I switched him over to pods. One pod. No more. Was working great until I went to the store and they didn't have our brand in pods. I thought, well, one bottle of liquid won't be too bad. Was I wrong! He had a large load, so he decided to use the max...not that he should ever use the max... not the max in the bottle cap like the manufacturer recommends, but the max on the detergent cup in the machine which is designed for less concentrated detergents. Next thing I know the waterbug is going off, the alarm company is calling, the machine is spewing suds out of every orifice! I won't go into all the mess we had to clean up, but needless to say, new rule: DH is not allowed to use anything in the machine but pods. If he needs to use something else, he calls me to put it in!

But then I figure, he wouldn't be getting into trouble if he wasn't doing these things, and I love that he does them and it makes him happy, so what's a little suds or dark muffins between spouses, eh?

eld6161

The quirkiest is when he all of a suddenly decides something. Did you change the laundry detergent when you did the sheets? No, have been using the same exact detergent for over 30 years.

But on the other hand he can detect a slight change in a recipe. “This tastes different!”

And, he is right, I either added something or forgot an ingredient.

Misplacing eyeglasses or keys and claiming I moved them! Then, the hunt begins and we finally find them in his coat pocket, desk etc. But, I play the game.

1 Like Save     Thanked by amylou321
OutsidePlaying

I love him, but oh he hoards paper copies of everything! I have tried to convince him to go electronic and that we only need year end statements to keep for taxes. He thinks he might need them one day. Even old manuals for things we longer own or that don’t work anymore. ATM, grocery, and other small receipts, etc pile up in random drawers of his. Gah!

2 Likes Save     Thanked by amylou321
nicole___

arkansas....I think I married his brother. ☺ Nicest guy EVER! I've tried making jokes about the finger licking, to get him to stop. No utensil licking. He holds his fork or spoon in a fist. He does chew with his mouth open. I try to sit beside him, not across from him. I know by the loud noises if his mouth is open...and I should be looking down. He seems to enjoy the "crunch-noise" which is not there if he closes his mouth. I envision him as a little boy...sitting on a ledge..... swinging his feet.... as he crunches.

Marilyn....when my husband is driving the car, I reach across and rub his ear lobe....and say "cutie". And.......Ivan's ears are always cold. I pick the kitten up, and kiss his ears. He leans his head back and closes his eyes, purring loudly.

Jasdip

He loved ironing!!! Is that a quirk?? He only wore polo shirts and cotton long sleeved shirts. He figured since he preferred wearing buttoned shirts, he should be the one to iron them. And he loved doing it.

morz8

Jasdip, your sweet hubby had a twin. My BIL loves to iron. He does laundry too and well. He has a yard service and housekeeper but does the ironing himself. A couple of years ago they built a home and he got the laundry room he'd always wanted. Taller than average folding counter (he's tall), deep sink, lots of cabinets and a built in ironing center along with a wide screen television so he can watch sports as he irons. Somehow it relaxes him, he's ironed for years.

seagrass_gw

Jasdip - I can't imagine how much you must miss him.

Judy Good

Oh so many things... He loves to count things, Everything. He will chew on one peanut for 10 minutes or so. At the end he is using his front teeth like a chipmunk. Never understood and most likely never will.

Jasdip

Morz, yes! Tom would have his music in his ears while ironing, or watch tv. It very much relaxed him. And of course vacuuming. Men and their tools. He wasn't handy at all and was first to admit it. He'd kill himself with a hammer. But he loved looking at tools, admired them; and a vacuum is a machine.

Thank you Seagrass.

Facebook Memories are popping up (tough for me).....anniversary dinner out; driving up north and listening to Christmas music. A rarity since neither of us enjoy that type of music much, but it was a pleasant 3 hour drive, and we were laughing and enjoying the music. And he made a comment on having the perfect companion.

chisue

With my DH, I don't think it's a quirk, just 'male brain'. He sees nothing between him and the 'whatever' he's looking for. (IMO the female brain notes *everything* in sight -- the 'hunter/gatherer' brain -- "I might need that sometime." ) Also, if the 'whatever' isn't right in front of DH, in exactly the size, color, shape he envisions...no dice. Nothing 'close' will do. A form of this thinking applies to finding his socks in the drawer, or the cheese in the fridge, or anything that is not *right where it always is*. I'm sure many of you cope with this. DH has just returned from Costco with the raspberries I requested -- *organic* ones <sigh>, at twice the price, but yes, they are indeed raspberries.

At the same time, DH has virtually no 'spacial' skills. I'm the map-reader; diagnoser of why the toilet runs or the way to jury-rig a temporary tie, knob, lever, support; sighter of a parking space in the next aisle.

I had a grammar school classmate who was the longed-for boy in his family, arriving after five girls. He was proud of his ironing skills, especially his *blouses*.

marilyn_c

I guess the weirdest thing about Jody is he likes me. I met him when we were 12, started dating at 16, married at 19....55 years in January. One of the things he does, which may be weird for a lot of men....the least little thing I do, he notices and comments favorably. Same for whatever I cook. I know he doesn't like to eat other people's cooking...I don't either.

One thing about him, he is very stubborn and when he makes up his mind about something, it is almost impossible to change it. I told the doctor the other day, I can train horses. I can train dogs. I have even trained a few cats, but I have never been able to train Jody.

He is also very optimistic. I guess that comes from the years of shrimping. You might go quite awhile and no big days....then you have a few good days that puts you over the hump, and then more days when it is hardly worth the fuel to go out...but you go for the hope of the good days.

He has a terminal illness, and there is no hope of getting better. The doctor told him the other day, to come back in 6 months....if....

Jody takes the news like it is nothing. I have never seen him get depressed about it. It would depress me....and I am depressed as much as my time allows for it, but because I have so much to do, I probably will wait and crater after he is gone.

7 Likes Save     Thanked by amylou321
jupidupi

He'll open a cabinet, take something out, and leave the door open. Huh? Makes no sense to me. And one gross thing -- he eats fat. I'll trim a piece of meat down to almost nothing in order to avoid getting the least bit of fat in my mouth. But he'll eat the entire thing, even the strip of fat that runs down the side of a steak, saying that the fat is the best part. Like a reverse Jack Spratt, except he'll eat the lean, too. But I will say, his table manners are impeccable.

SEA SEA

My spouse's quirk is he's the time increment announcer.

DH: I will shower at 9am. I will take the snow tires out of the shed at 9:30am. I will load them in the trunk at 9:45am. I will turn on the grill at 4:45pm. I will put the steak on the grill at 5:10pm. I will boil water at 6pm. I will take you to the store at 11am.

I think it comes from his growing up. It was a mishmash free for all and nobody got anywhere or got anything done. They are still like that and dh simply can't deal with that anymore.

Now I just let it go in one ear and out the other. I used to get nervous as *I* might not be ready to go the store at 11am! It's just the store. As long as I'm not in my PJs, I *am* ready!

I'm very flexible and I don't run on a clock so much as everything just gets done. He gets irritated with my willowy ways, but truth be told, I'm the one who gets stuff done around here lol. I just don't announce when everything little and large thing is about to happen.

Jasdip

(((((Marilyn_C)))))

Tom often thanked me for dinner. It used to bug me, because I wasn't going to make something for me and leave him to fend for himself. He was just being appreciative and loved my cooking.

Elmer J Fudd

My wife's SO is an absolute prince. No quirks, no shortcomings. There's nothing about him to criticize or take issue with, he's thoughtful and perfect in every way. Oh, I left out, he has no humility either.

14 Likes Save     Thanked by amylou321
bpath

My husband has a great sense of direction and is the official family navigator. If he goes somewhere new one time, he can find his way back home, and find his way to wherever it was again years later, whether on foot, by car, or by public transportation.

But, he cannot remember where the kitchen utensils go when he empties the dishwasher. After he puts them. . . somewhere. . . he can’t find them again. He can’t find the huge yellow LeCreuset dutch oven that lives out in plain sight. If he sees dishes on the counter on top of the dishwasher to the left of the sink, he moves them to the right of the sink, which is where we prep for the stove. Later, he will put them in the dishwasher because he is prepping dinner. And yes, the last 2 years he is the primary dinner maker. He can eat something once, and recreate it at home, or read a recipe, and then make it his own.

hallngarden

My SO, hubs will celebrate 61 glorious years with me next month. What is weird, fact he has ridden with me driving only once in his life. When he came back from Korea , we drove from Carolina to Fort Lewis ,Washington, he drove from Saturday morning until late Friday and I never drove a mile. We of course stopped at night. He is a great driver and continues to be now at 82. I have always driven a Corvette and this bragging about so many seconds to 100 miles an hour, forget that, I drive my vette 35 miles an hour . The one time he rode with me , he was saying, at my age I could still run faster than you drive.

amylou321

Annie, my SO is like that too. And he says the EXACT same thing: "I think this is done, but I am gonna leave it for a few more minutes." Luckily, the only cooking he does is grilling. And that is not often. He does it with other things too. Washing the car? He has to mix 4 different soaps in the bucket. Spraying some ants? He will use half a can of raid on 10 ants. He RUINED a batch of my scented wax cubes by waltzing in, telling me HE knew how to make them better, and dumping a ton of fragrance oil in the wax, way more than it will hold, thus ruining them. And even if they somehow managed to turn out out, I would have to sell them for 10 bucks a pack to break even on the cost! He has since learned to stay away from my cubes and candles! (unless of course, he sells them for me. He does sell quite a lot. But as far as production goes ,hands off!)

However, that quirk carries over into positive things too. He is a very generous man, and good to me in all things. But man I get tired of eating dried out grilled chicken!

3 Likes Save    
functionthenlook

Mine is a bit OCD. Everything in its place and a place for everything. But the man can't see dirt. Yes, everything is tidy and neat, but there could be an inch of dust on it and it looks fine to him. I swear the man would have no problem showering in 3 weeks of built up soap scum and mold as long as the shampoo bottles and soap were in the correct place.

jkayd_il5

When my husband drinks his morning orange juice he likes to "enjoy" it. He swishes it around in his mouth before swallowing. I tell him to drink it before I get up. Don't want to hear that.

Save     Thanked by amylou321
jemdandy

Hello Elmer J. Fudd.

"My wife's SO is an absolute prince."

Well spoken, and we know who you are talking about!

Annie Deighnaugh

Ah yes, the games we play...

I put the small wood boards in front of the big ones...he puts them on top.

I put the hand soap near the kitchen sink...he moves it back by the window sill.

I twist twist ties clockwise....he twists them counter-clockwise.

He stacks his newspapers on my side of the island...I shove them back to his side.

....these little silent games go on all the time.

aok27502

My husband is related to most of your SO's, except the OCD one and Elmer's acquaintance. He's a great navigator, never forgets a route. But we've been in this house since March, and he still can't find the corkscrew. It hasn't changed since day one.

Our laundry hamper has a lid. I have to leave it open, or he will pile his clothes on top. I've told him I'm glad he understands how the toilet works!

Oh, and speaking of laundry. In our last house, the laundry hamper was on his side of room. He would undress next to the bed at night and pile his clothes in a pile between the bed and the hamper. So I started putting the laundry basket in that spot. So then he would pile his clothes on the floor next to the laundry basket.🙄

Elizabeth

With my children, I would only wash what was in the hamper. They were not happy that they didn't get such and such jeans back but I told them I was not cleaning their room. If they wanted it laundered it had to go in the hamper. Worked very well.

Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Pets So You're Thinking About Getting a Dog
Prepare yourself for the realities of training, cost and the impact that lovable pooch might have on your house
Full Story
Remodeling Guides 8 Lessons on Renovating a House from Someone Who's Living It
So you think DIY remodeling is going to be fun? Here is one homeowner's list of what you may be getting yourself into
Full Story
Life How to Create the Perfectly Imperfect Home
Interview: Former Domino editor Deborah Needleman shares tips on how to live well and have more fun decorating your home
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever
Step into a Ferguson Showroom and you'll be surrounded by the latest styles in kitchen, bath and lighting design... Read More