SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_363862388

Help! Wood floor issues after they were professionally refinished.

L B
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi everyone, hoping for some advice. My family and I bought a duplex a couple of years ago. The house is 140 years old, and we hired a contractor in order to hopefully renovate it back to some of its former glory. My sister and I had each been living in/renting our own sides for several years prior, so we’re aware of the home’s condition before renovating it.

The latest job that was done was refinishing the original Douglas fir floors. It was subcontracted out to the flooring guys that our contractor uses. They sanded 3x, with 2 coats high gloss poly and the last coat satin poly. The job was finished 4 days ago and there are a ton of issues that I don’t believe should be there.

One side is worse, but both sides are covered in scratches: zigzag scratches that cover large areas; crisscross scratches; swirl pattern scratches; splintered wood; mismatched wood putty that’s both tacky and dry; pretty much the entire perimeter is rough and looks/feels dirty. Considering the age and type of wood, I’m not expecting perfection by any means. But I don’t recall these issues existing in the past, and it’s hard to find an area that’s not scratched up in some way and isn’t rough to the touch.

Would you mind looking at the linked photos and telling me what you think? They were taken from only one of the two units and are a small sample of issues that run throughout. Please help me to understand if I’m right to feel upset by this, or if I’m just expecting too much. If you agree that this isn’t acceptable, I’m wondering the next steps to take. Thank you!

ps- this is my first time posting on Houzz, so hopefully I did this right!

edit- please note, none of my photos are to show things like bruising, patina and nail/staple holes, as those things are to be expected of an old fir floor and I don’t consider them to be issues.

https://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/159862495/thumbs/refinished-floor-issues

Comments (13)