SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bravnan

Ideas for transforming basalt rock in basement?

bravnan
2 years ago

The foundation of our 1970's house was built over a natural basalt outcropping, so the rock is half outside and half inside our basement. The basic rock itself is about 3' high, 8' wide and intrudes into the house about 5'. The previous owners added more rocks to create an indoor water feature with a series of basins for the water to spill down and covered the wall behind with yet more rocks. After we bought the house, we quickly discovered that the water feature leaked, so haven't used it for the last 10 years. We've finally had enough of the orange shag carpet downstairs and are going to renovate the basement this summer; but first we need to figure out what to do with the rock. All the practical people around me think we should just wall it off and pretend it never existed, but I'm determined to do something with it. I've been slowly chipping away at it to remove the mortar and added rock and have had mixed success at breaking down some of the native rock as well. However, the rock on the wall is a different matter. No matter how hard I smash it with a sledge hammer, it's not budging. I've attached a couple of before photos as well as a couple of what it looks like now. I'd love to do something like put a fireplace on the wall above the rock and/or keep some sort of minimal water feature, such as a rain chain recirculating water from a small basin of pebbles at the base of the rock. Any other ideas?

Comments (31)