SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jwhitty8

Water-based primer for MDF/maple cabinet doors?

J Whitty
2 years ago

We are building a kitchen using Semihandmade DIY Shaker doors, which have maple edges and an MDF interior. I really really don't want to use oil-based primer since it's messy, the fumes really bother me, and the VOCs off-gas for years. But I didn't realize there are potential issues with raising the grain on MDF when using water-based paint. My plan is to prime and then use Farrow & Ball paint, which is water-based.

I recently came across this air purifying primer from ECOS which says it's suitable for MDF, but when I emailed to ask for more info they said:

"Water-based paints may raise the wood grain, we recommend ordering samples to test prior to beginning your project. Maple is a closed grained wood, an oil based primer (water based compatible) is recommended prior to painting with ECOS Paints to ensure proper adhesion."

So...mixed messages here?

I do have an extra cabinet door we don't need anymore, so I could order a sample and test it out. I'm very inexperienced with this so just looking to hear if anyone has ideas or experience here that could help us keep this project eco-friendly and low on toxins. Thanks so much!

Comments (2)