SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
heavchev

Kitchen cabinets - MDF versus hardwood doors/drawer fronts

charlieny
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Interested in hearing the opinion of kitchen professionals out there. We ordered new cabinets through our local lumber yard. We wanted higher end cabinetry with beaded inset doors/drawers. I used to install kitchens many years ago, so I'm not totally up to date on how cabinet-making materials have evolved. Based on my experience from years ago, I ordered doors and drawer fronts for the cabinets to be made using a four piece hardwood frame and an MDF flat center panel. The cabinets are being painted and my concern was that I didn't want any paint lines that might result from the expansion/contraction of a wood center panel; hence the MDF panel. So we ordered the cabinets and waited the 6-8 weeks for them to be made. Upon finally receiving them, I discovered that the door and drawer fronts were made entirely of MDF, although they did use five piece construction on them. My experience going back in years showed me that MDF edges didn't hold up particularly well as compared to hardwood. I'm wondering if the composition of MDF has changed and/or improved over the years to the point where it's stronger and will keep an edge better than it used to. Would like to hear from the kitchen professionals out there who have current experience with MDF versus hardwood door frames and drawer fronts. I must say that the cabinets are absolutely beautiful and well-constructed. The company has acknowledged the mistake made in ordering them and has offered to replace them with what I had originally specified. Of course, that means another 6-8 week wait, so I have a decision to make. Looking for some feedback. Thanks

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz