SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cincydecks

Am I being too picky? Siding & trim experts please weigh in...

Steve Deck
2 years ago

We decided to have new Alside Ascend insulated-composite installation installed to replace the 30+ year old siding on our house. One reason other than to get rid of the chalking & deterioration was to also get rid of the waviness in addition to providing us with a new clean & fresh look.

In the attached pictures you'll be able to see (I think) the waviness of the newly installed siding, some of the gapping at the overlap points and areas where the trim doesn't lay flat or is bent or wonky. I included a picture or two of the conditions of the stucco and firing underneath from the original siding over the old stucco. It was only in the area along the back that they removed the original foam board (for whatever reason).

I'm concerned with the likelihood of future issues, the overall appearance as well as potentially voiding the manufacturer's lifetime warranty if it's considered incorrectly installed. Per my contract with the remodeling company the installation was to comply with the standard practices recommended by the VSI and per the Manufacturer's installation requirements. On a side note I found the siding installers adding cardboard as shim materials to flatten out the area adjacent to the deck. I spoke with the contractor and he said they would take it down and reinstall it with fanfold backer and eliminate the cardboard. I had to be away from the hose the following day when they did that but my wife was working from home that day. They didn't remove the siding but they pried up the boards individually and removed the cardboard and added sections of the fanfold material. Also with the varying gaps on the underside of the overlapping seams it appears they may not have trimmed one edge on each board to allow for the foam insulation to butt up to each other (and in my unknowledgeable opinion) leaving an air gap and defeating some of the minimal insulating properties of the product.

I don't expect perfection but once I see something that's off or shortcuts being taken that are clearly a no no, I start to get really nitpicky (especially when putting this kind of money out).

That being said, how much imperfection is acceptable? Am I just expecting too much by pointing out the flaws and asking for them to be corrected? For example, if you had your car repainted and did a great job with the body repairs but had dirt get under the paint in spots or scuffed an area that got buffed out but was still noticeable, would you be ok with that?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Comments (4)