SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cheri127

Need help standing up for myself! Or am I being too picky? (Long)

cheri127
6 years ago

Hi all. If only I knew then what I know now about building a home! I really thought I was on top of everything, but still things fell through the cracks. I've made so many mistakes and oversights, it's embarrassing. I've accepted that there are certain things I can't change but there are two things in the kitchen that really irk me and I think my builder should fix them, no matter what a PITA it will be for him.

The first and most egregious is the toe kick on the island. There are two cabinets set back to back. At the end, one has a toe kick and one doesn't. I pointed it out before the granite went in and expected it to be fixed. During our final inspection today (just me and DH), I saw the toe kick was never addressed. I know, I should have noticed it earlier but there were so many other things I was dealing with and I simply forgot about it. The granite is installed and the kitchen basically finished but it looks awful. I don't know if it can be fixed without taking off the granite and moving the cabinet but even so, I believe it needs to be done. And the drawings clearly show that there should be a toe kick there.

The second issue is with the oven cabinet. I feel especially annoyed by this one because I think they knew about it and didn't fix it when it would have been a lot easier. (no need to give the back story here). The oven cabinet has a bottom drawer, two stacked ovens and double doors at the top. I noticed the top of the cabinet doors ran downhill where they meet the crown molding. In other words, from the left side, the top corner of the door is about 1/16"-1/8" from the crown but on the right side, the corner of the door is about 3/8" maybe more from the crown. I have inquired about it at least 3 times. Today I noticed that the right door was adjusted to split the difference so now it's a little off on the top and bottom of the door. In other words, the left door has tight tolerances (1/16-1/8") top and bottom and the right door slightly larger spaces top and bottom, maybe 1/4" each. I initially thought it was because the ceiling wasn't even, but when I studied it today, it's the frame for the ovens that isn't square (these are frameless cabinets with a frame added for the oven openings). To fix it requires removing the ovens and getting a new frame then reinstalling it all. Sorry I don't have a picture.

One reason it's a $100K kitchen is because I'm paying a high premium for overhead (builder risk) and the builder's high priced subs, who he claims are the best. Is it unreasonable to expect a premium product? I'm may have to threaten to hold back final payment until it's made right but I know this will sour my relationship with the builder, which makes me really sad because he built me a great house. He's much more invested in the bones than the finishes and thinks I'm nit picking.

It's a 10 plus 10 contract. When I asked him in the beginning why his overhead was based on the price of materials and fixtures he told me that the more expensive the items the greater his risk, which made sense. I hadn't thought of it that way. But now he's acting like this is a risk free build for him and all the risk is mine.

Sorry this is so long. Please help me stand my ground and not cave in from exhaustion and accept this kitchen as is. Or tell me if you think I don't have a case. Thanks!!!!

PS. Those of you who have experienced far more serious issues than these, I honestly don't know how you maintain your sanity!!!

Comments (25)