SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
momonjava

tile disaster (or am I just being too picky?)

momonjava
12 years ago

Hello everyone... please give me your feedback about the following:

Part of our backsplash is mosaic tile (at $45/sf, I might add...very beautiful handmade glass) The tile was shipped with brown paper adhered to the front, such that the tile is laid onto the mortar in 12 x 12 sheets, allowed to dry, then the paper is peeled away. When they "unveiled" the tile, it looked to me as though the spacing wasn't properly done (broader lines between the sheets than between the individual tiles). I was assured that when the (darker) grout was applied it would look OK. Well, it doesn't. You can definitely tell where the sheets begin and end.

What, if anything, is my recourse? Do I ask the contractor to re-do the whole thing at their expense? What if they refuse? Like I said, this is very expensive tile and it would cost them several hundred dollars. Or, am I too damned picky? I have done mosaic tile before (many moons ago) and I honestly think I could have done a better job. With all the money we're laying out, I really should not feel this way, right?

The part of the backsplash that's mosaic tile is quite satisfactory, by the way (aside from the fact that the grout on the edges needs to be prettied up).

Thanks for your input! I'm a little queasy about this whole situation, needless to say.

Comments (23)