SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jackie_cruz42

Creative solutions for old radiator covers?

Jackie Cruz
2 years ago

Anyone have any creative solutions on what to do with these hideous things? Every radiator in my apartment has these old metal covers, and I'd like to spruce them up or switch them out, but drawing a blank on ideas. Opened them and found decades worth of dust/pet hair/spider webs/dried up dead bugs/etc. (and I mean DECADES WORTH!!!) Doesn't look like they've ever been cleaned at all, but what's worse is that they've been painted over repeatedly. The insides are either warped or rusted, and it's about a foot and a half of wasted space above the radiators. I've read online that they can be sandblasted and stripped, but not sure how much something like that costs, and whether it's even worth it. I'm also not finding any replacements in the big box stores, so I'm assuming people who've updated theirs have custom built ones. I'm sure if it's just wood and a metal screen, I can DIY new covers, but would love to know how you all would approach this. Ideally, i'd like to not *have to* replace them, so if you know any good way to have the paint removed or smoothed out easily, please let me know! The radiators themselves are the kind with the metal discs that can be bent easily, so unfortunately, I have to keep them covered, but I'd like something nicer than these old clunks!

Comments (13)

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company