SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drkbomb

Vent hood ducting: Multiple air flow and noise related questions

2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hello! I am installing a new vent hood with an inline blower. Based on multiple factors, including aesthetics, the vent hood will have 8 inch ducting, but the inline blower is set up for 10 inch ducting. I have been mulling over multiple options for the ducting, with goals of achieving as good of air flow as possible and minimize noise as much as possible. The vent hood installs straight into the attic, makes one 90 degree turn and then out a side wall. Regardless of my choices below, I plan to try to minimize noise by hanging my inline blower from the rafters, using an inline duct silencer, and wrapping some of the ducting in noise suppression materials. Here are my questions:

1) Is it better to go the long way (30 feet), so the inline blower is as far away from hood as possible to reduce noise, or can I go the short way (10 feet) to improve airflow? I would prefer to go the short way, if the noise would be okay, because it is less obstructed (I might need to jog a little going the long direction) but both are doable. I have heard that the blower should be installed 3/4 of the way down the run, but have not found any reason for that. Particularly in the short direction I would want to put it as close to the outer wall as possible.

2) Duct silencer: should I use a straight silencer such as the Fantech LD10 or can I use this elbow duct silencer (https://www.hvacquick.com/products/residential/Kitchen-Exhaust/Silencers/HVACQuick-CSL-Series-Elbow-Duct-Silencer), which they claim is superior to the straight silencer for noise reduction. The elbow duct silencer only comes in 8". I would place it immediately after the hood and then use the reducer (upsizer?) to go to 10" ducting. My concern is whether I might be sacrificing too much airflow by reducing early. If I use the straight silencer, I would probably use two 45 degree angle pieces to make the 90 degree turn.

Comments (4)