• User
    Original Author
    2 years ago

bump

• Related Discussions

Covered deck updates - please help!

Q

Comments (2)
    Also deck is being cleaned and some stuff will be moved to better storage spots like the fire ring and stuff under sectional. It’s still rainy and drab in Vancouver right now.
    ...See More

Queen of Elegance, update please.

Q

Comments (20)
    QofE is in it's third year for me, own root. It's planted in unamended poor soil and I haven't taken care of it except to water, I haven't even fertilzed it at all since I planted it, and it looks healthy and the blooms are beautiful, if not prolific. I'm in the high desert and most roses blow within a day or bleach out before they even open fully. QofE tolerates the intense sun better than most and the color is so interesting! Unlike any other, to my eye. Definitely one of my favorites. I love the old teas so much but they do not do well for me here in ABQ at all, but QofE has that same kind of vibe for me.
    ...See More

SOS PLEASE help me update the foyer!

Q

Comments (5)
    I need to see the spaces around this entry and I do not think wainscotiing pluncked into some rando place is a good idea. I do not see any anywhere else so it does not belong where you are planning it either .As for the stairway add a great runner to the siars and be done I do not think black and white is a good plan for thta space with those floors Simple is always better if cohesive is the plan then do not add to this except for a nice runner
    ...See More

Looking for exterior update ideas please!

Q

Comments (5)
    Thr brick planter doesn't have irrigation and it is under the overhang. No lighting in it either. Overall laughter exposure is low as it faces North. My husband had just proposed the cap idea too. I just worry it will look more like a loading dock for packages.  An the vinyl siding is along the garage side wall, the back of the house and the far side. I'd love to paint all the wood, and possibly even the brick.
    ...See More
  • nicole___
    2 years ago

He's a BEAUTIFUL cat! 🐾

• Jasdip
    2 years ago

Thank you Nicole!

• chisue
    2 years ago

Glad to see your sweetie-puss. Good luck Thursday.

• User
    Original Author
    2 years ago

There isn't a day that goes by that I don't check to see if you've posted any updates and pictures. He's just beautiful and I'm so glad he found you. He's safe now.

I'm an "Auntie"...and we may be distantly related. ☺ Your sir name is a close family name of mine. That...almost...gives me a familial interest in Elliot's progress. Thank you for the update.

• sal 60 Hanzlik
    2 years ago

Is he eating and drinking better?

• Jasdip
    2 years ago

He's still picky. He'll eat it in the morning and again for dinner, then doesn't want it anymore. He's not struck on chicken, and other flavours.

I do give him "kitty crack" Fancy Feast beef, which he really likes.

I bought some good cat food at the pet store that Bud and Roxie loved, $3/can but he didn't touch it.

Still very much a work in progress. He does want kibble, so I still have some that I give him in the afternoon.......not a crunch at all; swallowed whole.

He's very very loving and affectionate. He likes waking me up 5-ish with a soft paw on my hand or cheek to pet him.

User thanked Jasdip
  • petalique
    2 years ago

Sounds like a great match. Win win!

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    2 years ago

I'm keeping you both in my prayers for the best outcome on Thursday and for any upcoming surgeries. He really is a most beautiful cat and with that personality, he deserves all the best.

• annie1992
    2 years ago

Fancy Feast, oh yeah, my cats love the stuff and even Mother's very picky 15 year old cat will gobble the stuff down, so I'm not surprised Elliott will eat it.

I finally got the GFM to work for me, so add me to the list of "Aunts", LOL. I keep checking to see how he's doing.

Annie

• Jasdip
    2 years ago

^^^ANNIE!!!! Hi!!! I'll definitely add you to the list of Aunties! (Thank you!)

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    2 years ago

Have you thought of mixing the Kitty Crack (Fancy Feast) with the good for you food?

• Jasdip
    2 years ago

Sherry, Yes I do mix the food he likes with the not-so-much. He'll fall for it once. 🤣

When he refuses to eat the food I put it in the freezer, to bring it out at a later date and try again.

Last Thursday was the last day of his pills. The last couple of days I was putting them in his throat as he'd pick around it in his food or his kibble. I found a half pill under the kitchen table yesterday. He was able to keep it in his mouth until he could spit it out. LOL.

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Smart kitty! Well maybe too smart for his own good. Can the vet give you a liquid antibiotic? I got really fast with wrap towel around legs, grab between ears with left hand and lift top jaw, while shooting liquid down throat with right hand. It sounds like a long time, but 10 to 15 seconds max.

They make a pill shooter also.

https://www.entirelypets.com/pillgun.html

• annie1992
    2 years ago

Yes, I seldom venture beyond Cooking and Harvest, occasionally into the gardening forums, so I'm a foreigner here, LOL.

He's a handsome boy, I do hope he gets a clean bill of health and can live a long, happy, spoiled rotten life with you.

The Dangerous Bobcat and his Bad Friend send their best wishes too, although I think the DB is jealous of that lovely tail that Elliott has, since DB lost his to that raccoon or whatever.

Annie

• woodrose
    2 years ago

annie1992 Welcome to the table! There's always room here to pull up another chair. Hope you visit often.

Jasdip, thanks for the update on Elliot; hope everything goes well tomorrow.

• Jasdip
    2 years ago

He was wonderful at the vet, such a trooper. They let him draw blood, look at and feel his teeth, knead his body, feeling his lymph nodes, kidneys etc.

The young girl with her is in vet school and she did an exam before the vet came into the room. She was asking me questions, and I said I've only had him a little over a month. She was shocked; she said A month?!! She was stunned that I'm doing all this for him.

The heart abnormality is still pronounced of course. The dr spoke to the other surgeon and she said she would go ahead with the dental surgery without doing the ECHO first (the cardiac ultrasound), as long as I was aware of the risks.

My vet assured her I am aware.

Plus, my vet said she's going to be assisting with the surgery.....the more eyes on Elliott the better!! He'll be in very good hands.....providing his heart can hold up.

He has a lot of tartar on his back teeth, big chunks of brown. They'll probably need to be pulled. His gums are receding in places as well; gingivitis and periodontal disease.

She just adores him and will do everything in her power to see that he comes through for ALL of us.

User thanked Jasdip
  • sal 60 Hanzlik
    2 years ago

Have you got a date set up for the surgery?

• chisue
    2 years ago

I've never had a pet cat, so don't know about their care. Do they normally need to have their teeth cleaned like dogs, or is this due to an all-soft-food diet?

We did have a cat for a month or two when I was a child, after she had kittens in a window well. She 'tolerated' us briefly, then took off on her merry way.

• User
    Original Author
    2 years ago

He is the sweetest looking cat. I just adore him. It's been my experience with both humans and animals that those who have suffered for long periods of time seem to have a patience and a tolerance like no others. Elliot is a good example of my observations. I pray he's rewarded with a successful surgical procedure and good health going forward. Thank you for keeping us up to date, Jasdip...and...for adopting Elliot.

• nicole___
    2 years ago

I'm also hoping for a good outcome for Elliot. What a little trooper to put up with ALL of this prodding....and....next....dental surgery. Fingers crossed. Heart crossed. 💓Hang in there Elliot!!

• Jasdip
    2 years ago

My vet and the surgeon, anesthesiologist, etc have to get their schedules organized. She's pulling out all the stops for him, she wants "all hands on deck". So as soon as I know when Elliott is going in, you'll all know. She wants to clean the teeth as fast as possible, the one that was caked with tartar felt a little loose, so that will be pulled. They want to have him under as short a time as possible. Thanks for the hearts and good wishes!

Chisue, my friend who owns Gino says that small dogs are prone to tartar, Gino certainly is, so I think cats are as well. Smudge and Bud both had dental cleanings and they ate both dry and wet food. With Smudge, they thought they had to remove his back tooth, but when they took the tartar off, the tooth was as good as new.

• arkansas girl
    2 years ago

For anyone reading this, I would advise starting your cat or dog as young as possible with brushing their teeth daily! It really does make a huge difference. I started brushing my dog's teeth when she was just a few years old after finding a cracked tooth that looked pretty ugly. I've been brushing them daily since and she is 10 now. At her last vet appointment last month, her new vet could not believe how great her teeth looked! I think it's well worth the effort unless the animal just freaks out over it. My dog is very easy to brush her teeth, after a little while she even begged for it since she gets treats.

• nicole___
    2 years ago

@arkansas girl......my cats were abused, sick, starved, half feral when I got them. No way anyone could clean their teeth. Cutting their nails I do when they're asleep. It's good advice your giving...just only...for the pets that are fear free. Elliot is a trooper! Fearless dude! YAY and sending love to him!

• yeonassky
    2 years ago

I had one cat who was as Nicole described half feral and starving.

What I did was brought out the toothbrush and fed the cat a particularly tasty treat.

This went on for several days. Then I brought out the toothpaste. I chose one that she liked and gave her a little bit of it on the toothbrush. Then I concentrated on one tooth using a little bit of a toothpaste. Cleaned that one tooth give her some more toothpaste and usually a treat afterwards. It took a long time to get to every tooth. The back teeth took even longer because she was very skittish. She behaved admirably though considering her beginnings. I think it was simply daily food and loving attention. It worked for me but I'm sure not every cat would cooperate in the least.

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    2 years ago

I'm just getting to see this and I'm so happy that Elliott can get his dental cleaning! When either my cats or dogs were in to see the vet on their yearly checkup, she would try to scrape off whatever she could with her fingernail and usually got a fair amount off. Then she would determine if an "official" cleaning was warranted. Some of my animals tolerated that well and some did not. They all came through the actual cleaning very well so I hope it will be the same for Elliott. What a sweetie he is. I'm sure he knows you are doing what's best for him and everything possible. Good luck, Elliott. Prayers for the very best outcome!! Thanks for the update.

• beesneeds
    2 years ago

Such a good boy :) Is it just me, or are there less pics of him with his tongue sticking out then we started off with? I'm kind of hoping that's a good sign of the meds and love working well, but want to check myself.

• Jasdip
    2 years ago

Beesneeds, he definitely doesn't have his tongue out as often as he did. He looks at me with his mouth fully closed and if his tongue sticks out at all it's just the very tip, barely seen.

BTW, his tongue is big! Bigger than I've noticed with any other cat I've had. Longer and wider. When he licks his face he covers his whole cheek.

• Dolly
    2 years ago

He is so precious and it is impossible not to fall in love with him. I am so grateful that you adopted him and are doing everything to make him more comfortable. Like others I adore him.

• beesneeds
    2 years ago

Oh my, he can full cheek lick? That is hopeful. And I bet cute as all get out.