Overnight Challah French Toast with cream cheese recipe?
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (8)
- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
Related Discussions
Creme Brulee French Toast - question
Comments (20)Don't forgot to schedule a dentist appointment soon - its really sweet :) I never thought of turning it upside down on a platter - I guess since you've already done that, cooksnews, it comes out of the pan okay. I always serve bacon with it cause it is so sweet, it needs it in my opinion. You can use any kind of good, firm bread Shaun. And if you are going to ask if I cut the crusts off, I don't - maybe if the end is really, really hard I would cut that off, but otherwise I don't. I can get Challah here all the time in my supermarket too, but I use a French loaf also, doesn't matter....See MoreLOOKING for: Overnight French Toast
Comments (8)1/2 cup granulated sugar 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder 1/8 teaspoon baking powder 1/4 teaspoon table salt 1 cup whole milk 4 large eggs 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract 8 (1-inch thick) slices Challah bread 1 teaspoon butter Confectioners sugar for garnish In a medium bowl, combine the sugar, cocoa, instant espresso powder, baking powder and salt. Blend well so no cocoa lumps remain. Pour in about half of the milk and whisk until the mixture is a lump-free paste. Add the remaining milk, eggs and vanilla; whisk until well blended. Polk holes in the bread slices with a skewer (or fork) and dip into chocolate mixture; lay in a single on a jelly roll pan. Pour remaining chocolate mixture over bread and let soak, turning occasionally until all the batter is absorbed, about 10 minutes (or over night). Heat a non-stick skillet or griddle over medium heat. When the pan is hot, add the butter to melt then add the bread slices in a single layer. Cook until they look browned and lightly crisp, 4 or 5 minutes (reduce the temperature if the bread is browning too fast. Flip and continue to cook until lightly puffed in the center, another 4 or 5 minutes. Serve immediately dusted with confectioners sugar and serve with fresh fruit or maple syrup. *Inspired by Chocolate French Toast from Fine Cooking magazine. Segments of 1 large orange 2/3 cup fresh squeezed orange juice 6 large eggs 1/3 cup milk Zest of 2 large oranges 3 tablespoons sugar 1 tablespoon orange liqueur (Grand Mariner) 1/4 teaspoon vanilla 1/4 teaspoon salt 1 pound loaf French bread; cut into 1-inch slices Put orange segments and orange juice in blender; process on high 1 minute. Add eggs and liquefy. Add milk, zest, sugar, liquor, vanilla and salt; process 1 minute. Place bread in a shallow dish. Pour egg mixture over all and let stand overnight in refrigerator. Heat griddle to 250° or 300°. Add 3 tablespoons butter and cook bread until golden and cooked through. Cooking at low temperature so the center will be fully cooked and not soggy. Serve hot with warm syrup. **I have made this without setting over night. Just leave on counter about 30 minutes before cooking. 1 loaf Challah (or French) bread 8 large eggs 2 cups half & half 2 tablespoon sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon 1/4 teaspoon salt 1 stick cold butter 1 cup packed light brown sugar 1 cup chopped pecans 2 tablespoons light corn syrup 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon Maple syrup, optional Slice bread into 3/4-inch slices and arrange in a generously buttered 9X13-inch baking dish in two overlapping rows. In a large bowl, beat eggs using a fork and add half & half, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and salt; blend well. Dip each piece of bread into egg mixture for about 20 seconds and place back in the baking dish. After all slices have been soaked and replaced in dish, pour remaining egg mixture over all. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight. Prepare the topping by placing the butter, brown sugar, pecans, corn syrup and ½ teaspoon cinnamon in a food processor and pulse just until mixture crumbles. (Or combine in a bowl using your hands.) Cover and refrigerate overnight. The next day, preheat oven to 350°. Sprinkle the topping over the bread and bake for 40 minutes, until puffed and lightly golden. If desired serve with maple syrup. *Inspired by Baked French Toast Casserole by Paula Deen. And there is always David's and Woodies . Marilyn...See MoreRECIPE: Chocolate Espresso French Toast
Comments (11)Ann T, I often eat regular french toast with just butter, no syrup or jam, etc., I think it depends on my mood. Other times I want it covered with homemade peach syrup or something similar. I always make sure the egg mixture soaks all the way through, though, and then I have to cook it long enough that it's not soggy. Thanks, Marilyn, it looks like Paul's description answered my question. I was kind of wondering if the whiter middle part just tasted like bread or if some of the flavor permeated the slice. So, I'm guessing that the chocolate outer part is strong enough in chocolate flavor to allow for the "unsoaked" middle? So, Carol, you just ate yours "dry", no fudge sauce and pecans...? Annie...See MoreFrench Toast
Comments (41)I make all kinds of different french toast. It all depends on the occasion. Everyday French Toast is: Good thick bread, egg, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and cream mixture. Dip bread fry in butter. Sometimes I make homemade Cinnamon Raisin bread and I will use that with the above egg mixture. Then there is what my family calls Birthday French Toast. I only make these on request for someones Birthday Breakfast. Strawberry Cream Cheese French toast. I make a filling of strawberries and cream cheese put that between 2 slices of bread and dip in egg mixture fry in butter until golden brown and top with powdered sugar. Banana and nutella stuffed French toast. Spread nutella on one sliced and then lay banana slices on top, top with second piece of bread and dip in egg mixture fry in butter top with powdered sugar. Nutella and Peanut Butter stuffed french toast. Spread Nutella on one slice peanut butter on the other slice put together, dip in egg mixture fry in butter top with powdered sugar....See More- 4 years ago
- 4 years ago
- 4 years agolast modified: 4 years ago
Related Stories

KITCHEN DESIGN5 Home Cooks Share Their Favorite Family Recipes
Peek inside the kitchens of these Houzz users and learn how to cook their time-tested, passed-down dishes
Full Story
MOST POPULAROvernight Guests Coming? How to Be a Great Host
Ensure a good time for all — including yourself — by following these steps for preparing for and hosting houseguests
Full Story
LIFEHow to Stay Relaxed When Hosting Overnight Guests
Make sure their visit goes smoothly by following these simple steps
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNWorld of Design: Global Foodies and Their Kitchens
Join us as 11 food lovers tell us about their kitchens and give us a taste of their culinary heritage
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGN16 Scrumptious Eat-In Kitchens and What They Want You to Serve
Whether apple-pie cheerful or champagne sophisticated, these eat-in kitchens offer ideas to salivate over
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNLove to Cook? We Want to See Your Kitchen
Houzz Call: Show us a photo of your great home kitchen and tell us how you’ve made it work for you
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNA Cook’s 6 Tips for Buying Kitchen Appliances
An avid home chef answers tricky questions about choosing the right oven, stovetop, vent hood and more
Full Story
KITCHEN APPLIANCESConsidering a New Kitchen Gadget? Read This First
Save money, time and space by learning to separate the helpers from the hassles
Full Story

FUN HOUZZDon’t Be a Stickybeak — and Other Home-Related Lingo From Abroad
Need to hire a contractor or buy a certain piece of furniture in the U.K. or Australia? Keep this guide at hand
Full StorySponsored
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations
Rusty