SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elizht

Exterior color for Tudor revival?

elizht
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi all - We need to paint the exterior of our home (paint is faded and in bad shape), and I’d love some advice. We live in a 1935 Tudor(ish) revival. I say ”ish” because I’m not sure that front porch and screen door really fit, but most of the homes in our neighborhood are tudors, so I think ours is supposed to be in that category. Not sure if the porch was an addition…

I am considering two options:

1) Paint similar to the current colors…Dark brown trim and shutters + off-white field and windows. We would get rid of the brown storm windows. Questions if we go this route: Does anybody have any suggestions for a nice dark brown color and an off-white? I want to go darker and richer and less red-toned with the brown. Also, I’m considering painting the window trim the same brown instead of off-white (leaving the windows themselves off-white). Right now, everything on the windows is off-white, except for the storm windows. Thoughts?

OR

2) Find a different color to replace brown for the trim… possibly a dark warm gray? There are some gray tones in the brick, so it could work. BUT this would require a lot more creativity in choosing a color on my part, and I’m not sure I want this much change.

Would love any thoughts you have, even if unrelated to my questions! Thanks!

Comments (8)