SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ashley_howerton52

Granite countertop update help

Ashley H
2 years ago

Wondering if anyone else has found a solution to the same issue…I’m updating a 2004 kitchen on a budget and trying to update some dated brown granite countertops while keeping the existing cabinets. They are in good shape, if also not quite my thing.

The challenge is both the peninsula and the sink have curved designs. I’m concerned that even if demoing the countertops only were possible, it could get prohibitively expensive to fabricate new, custom rounded countertops.

Is quartz overlay (or some other high-end material) possible here? Or with some palette changes elsewhere will brown granite be liveable?

FYI: Most of budget going towards new white oak flooring. Cabinets to be painted a warm off-white putty like BM Ashwood, with matte black hardware. Backsplash to be replaced with Heath seconds in stone white (matte off-white), 2x4 horizontal stack. Stainless appliances to remain.

Thanks! 🤗

Comments (53)

• eld6161
    2 years ago

Have you priced it all out? I would keep the cabinets and re counter and backsplash.

• likestonehomes
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

awesome kitchen with Stunning cabinets, please don't paint them. Mayb change the pulls knobs. But everything else is gorgeous, floor too

• Related Discussions

Help..... ran short on granite for the counter tops.....

Q

Comments (14)
    Thank you everyone for the suggestions. The pictures really help. The White Taupe is so close! I had never heard of it, thank you. I only need a piece that is 50" x 50"! I think if I can't find a close enough match, I will have to have either a different material or interesting multilevel cabinet design. It is not a single run, it is a stand alone area next to the kitchen.
    ...See More

granite counter-top seams ... are we being too picky?

Q

Comments (44)
    These are my pics of my countertops placed Friday June 22, 2018. I cried looking at these seams. It looks so cheap. Fabricator explains that's the way it comes. I explained that I shouldn't be able to see the seams so clearly. It looks so unprofessional. They ended up taking them back to their warehouse. In hopes they say if it is quality control will try and fix it just to make it look better. Otherwise I will have to pay an additional fee for them to come out again to install. I just don't know what to do and if still looks the same. This is the first time I've replaced my counters in 24 years. I don't and can't live with it. looking at this for another 24 years. It looks so cheap and it really was not it's a lot of money to me. I hope fingers crossed that they will fix this problem. They never told me that there would be such seams. I thought the edges were done by a machine and it would be all one piece. I have read up on this and now understand there are seams. But now I do know that they should not look like this. If they are good fabricator you shouldn't be able to see them so clearly. I will find out next week what happens.
    ...See More

Help with kitchen counter-tops is really needed...

Q

Comments (42)
    for the handles, may I suggest something to pick up on the hues in the flooring? A little more copper toned. you have light cabs, light floors. I think throwing in a dark ORB w/o actual copper highlights would be too much of a contrast. IMO. cypress park Sandra, I like the porcelain one better than the other one. Does the backsplash have to be done immediately? If the tones in the porcelain tile you picked clash w/the ivory tones in the counter, it could be a problem. However, I did find some copper toned ones that should be avail. these are porcelain/SS, and treated so as not to stain or tarnish. I LOVE these for your kitchen. timeless and gorgeous. They are probably not super cheap, but it would be worth it for me. http://www.miusartmosaics.com/arabesque-lantern-beacon-copper-tile-in these would also work. the site is here: maybe they have them in stock.http://www.westsidetile.com/arabesque-tiles/ i like this one too. notice the copper faucet. beautiful w/the glass mosaic. if you got the cream countertop, this would look amazing w/your floors. this last one is a copper colored slate/quartzite.
    ...See More

Mindful Gray Shaker cabinets need a granite counter top...help

Q

Comments (5)
    Hi Ken! I digress. I have Cambria Bellingham and I love it. Quartz is an awesome counter top. Is your heart set on granite? When you looked at pictures and found a granite that took your breath away, what was the granite that was used?
    ...See More
  • P Banos
    2 years ago

Magnificent cabinets and well done counters. Love the wood on the cabinets and the green backsplash. Wish I had that kitchen!!!

• M Miller
    2 years ago

The floor sounds great, though it will be really expensive. Idk if worthwhile since parquet is in now. But I see where the new floor would look more current and more muted.

Don’t paint your cabinets. I also love your backsplash! The replacement you mentioned of horizontal stack in stone white is already so 2018. And the new black hardware would add nothing IMO.

I see where you could think your counters are dated. The fabrication for new counters will be expensive given the curves as you pointed out. However if you don’t paint the cabinets and don’t change the backsplash, you’ll have the budget for the counters. I think a really clean white counter would look great with your wood cabinets, existing backsplash and new floor.

• Stephanie
    2 years ago

Im with the others. I wish this was my kitchen! Painting the cabinets will not last like a factory finish paint job. And then if you really dont like the counters I would do a plain white corian - timless and classic.

• lisaam
    2 years ago

I agree with most of the previously expressed thoughts— your kitchen looks very nice. from the photos the cabinets look too pretty to paint.

It’s sad that some materials become so heavily associated with a particular point in time and when that is point is 20 years prior the dreaded “D-word” is used.

Granite would ideally be a forever material and your granite really is a good color in this space.

I’d be tempted to used the counter replacement budget for an extravagant bunch of flowers each week.

• M Riz
    2 years ago

I agree with many above, that kitchen is in no way outdated, its really a well done kitchen. The problem is that it isnt what you would have picked. I Would change those pendants and put a simpler floor down adding color from rugs and accessories. That kitchen looks expensive.

• RoyHobbs
    2 years ago

The wood grain in those cabinets is fantastic. Please, please, I beg you do not paint them. The existing pulls go well with them and the stainless appliances. Black pulls would be obtrusive in that setting, and I am certain you would be disappointed once installed. The backsplash is quite lovely, so leave alone.

I think the new wood floor will be a big improvement. I agree you should change the counters. But you need to wait to choose the new counter until after the wood floor is installed. Floors always have a big visual presence, and the new one will be entirely different from what you have now. You must not choose the counter without the new floor installed first.

• RoyHobbs
    2 years ago

One more thought: for the backsplash, replace the white outlets/switches and their wall plates with ones that are a soft green to blend with your backsplash. Or even a taupe or just something other than white to blend into your backsplash. If you go online, you will see that outlets/wall plates come in many colors now.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

you're doing things backwards. Get your flooring, THEN pick your countertop. You don't paint, do backsplash, then choose a counter.

And there is no issue w/a fabricator cutting granite or quartz in a rounded format. No you don't need a overlay.

that wood is gorgeous. I'm all for painting cabinets, but even I agree, "leave the wood cabinets."

these are all natural cherry cabinets. If you change out your hardware, it would immediately update the look. the curved handles aren't the best choice.

This is a granite countertop and an off white tile splash.

white quartz, seeded glass

granite and a gray green tile

I love these paint color choices (for the wall and coordinating colors) w/your cab tone.

So back to your kitchen:

If you feel like there is too much wood, then just paint the peninsula, or just the bottom cabinets. That wood is truly stunning, and covering them up with a 'putty' color sounds horrible.

Sorry, but it does.

Do you have a sample door painted in this putty color? They can paint a spare door for.

lets see it along w/the flooring you've chosen.

Do you have to use that matte white tile?

if you leave the cabs as is, here's how it would look w/white tile and a white countertop

Now, imagine all of this painted Ashwood. below.

Ashwood, oak floors, white quartz and tile.

Why? Do you really think this color combo looks better than your wood cabintet?

here's a two tone,

honestly, it would better to sell you cabinets and bring in paintable wood cabinets (like maple) and have that done. you'd get money for you solid cherry cabinets that you could put towards new ones, AND you could lose the curved design.

Silestone charcoal, matte quartz w/the white tile would really pop

you have more light than this one, do you like this?

soapstone and marble w/the same color cabinets

Cielo Quartzite would look amazing w/your cabinets

so would Ijen Blue

paired w/these colors

Or, why not bring in your flooring, pick a countertop, paint your walls, and redo the backsplash and hardware. THEN, if you still thick you dislike the look, THEN bring in a painter.

• lmuhrich
    2 years ago

I dont know what the rest of the house looks like but dont paint the cabinets --wood is beautiful with that green backsplash. I would change out countertops to a cream quartz to brighten it up personally. Flooring is so retro and on trend. You have a great vibe in the kitchen with the plants and scenery too

• tozmo1
    2 years ago

Those cabinets are beautiful as they are. Based on the quality of the appliances, my guess is the floor is quality parquet but I get it, it's a look that's not for everyone so I can see the white oak for sure. Do the floors then reassess but whatever you do, don't paint those cabinets. It will cheapen a very high end look.

• btydrvn
    2 years ago

If you have been here 20 years and just cant stand it any more the most I would bo is black counters and black hardware….this would make a big difference without disturbing the artistry if your Kitchen

• lmuhrich
    2 years ago

This is when I get to insert my photos of my hickory cabinets I kept because of the advice on here. Since have moved but it was so beautiful and I regret not one moment of the transformation it gave me so much joy. Timeless and transitional!! I know the lighting was brutal in these pics sorry!!

• lmuhrich
    2 years ago

Some of the quartzite I saw at the showroom was stunning but 3x more expensive in my area than the quartz

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

Please change your floors and repost new photos. I think you’ll be surprised how much they change the look of the room.

If you’re still unhappy, then reassessing the countertops would be the next decision. I agree with others that covering those cabinets with paint is not a great idea.

• ci_lantro
    2 years ago

Holey Moley, those cabinets are a modern masterpiece.

I wouldn't paint them, not in a million years.

I'm all for changing the floor. I don't care if parquet is au courant or not. Because I sorta' remember when it was The Thing and I did not like it way back then.

Perhaps a large format porcelain tile instead? Terrazzio? Marmoleum? or even vinyl sheet flooring?

Spend the money on the floor and perhaps the backsplash. The counters look great with the cabinets. I don't read them as 'dated' at all.

• Holly- Kay
    2 years ago

Your kitchen is stunning! If it were mine I wouldn’t change a thing except for the floor.

• L.D. Johnson
    2 years ago

I love the wood cabinets. The curved handles do look dated to me....but before you commit to a change, be sure your selection will work the the curved section of the peninsula. That might be a challenge.....

• housegal200
    2 years ago

Add me to the list of people upthread begging you not to paint those stunning cabinets. Can you just stain current floors so they go with the existing wood cabinets? Here's a very dramatic quartz countertop that goes with wood like yours--super elegant and goes all the way up as a backsplash. You could afford it by not painting the cabinets.

Forest Retreat Kitchen · More Info

• Snaggy
    2 years ago

Love it as is !

• pricklypearcactus
    2 years ago

Those cabinets are drop dead gorgeous! It would be a horrible shame to paint such beautiful custom wood cabinetry. Please consider saving them and enjoying their beauty since they are hands-down the best thing in the room.

• stiley
    2 years ago

Those warm tones are totally back in, as are curves. Your kitchen is beautiful. I might swap out hardware to unlacquered brass, and swap out the lights to something like plaster, modern milkglass or stone. CB2 has several pendants that I'm liking right now. Your kitchen looks like excellent quality. Love the cabinets with the green backsplash.

• badgergal
    2 years ago

I think your cabinets are beautiful. I love the curves too. I may be a bit prejudiced though because I have curved natural cherry cabinets in my kitchen too. I did my kitchen in 2012 and I still get compliments about the cabinets

I agree with the other posters who said change you floors if you can. The floors seem too busy to me and dont provide any contrast to the cabinets.

My floors are natural finish ash.

Even if you eventually decide to paint your cabinets, a new lighter, less busy floor would look good. My daughter has natural maple floors with her white cabinets and I think, they look great.

ETA: There was no upcharge from the stone fabricator i used for my curved counters. Prior having the countertops made, the fabricator acually printed out a full size template of my island countertop for me. I pasted the template on to cardboard and was able to determine if it worked in my kitchen. I could never have mocked it up accurately without that template.

• Ashley H
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks all for the weigh-in! Sounds like some diehard cherry fans out there :) Will take under advisement.

My question really is more about the countertop though: can it be replaced while leaving the cabinets? (I’ve heard it’s tough to do.) And if not, has anyone done a high-end “overlay” before, especially anyone dealing with curves? Or does it end up looking off, proportionally?

Thanks!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

yes it can.

why don't you just call in some fabricators and get their options and prices? it's not difficult to leave the cabinets and replace the countertop. all they have to do is break the one thats on there now, template for a new one, and install it.

Not a big deal.

• Connecticut Yankeeeee
    2 years ago

Ashley - yes, I also vote for keeping cabinets. I think the granite is pretty and I’d keep that too. I do think it’s the floor that’s throwing things off. As far as overlays - I personally have never seen one that doesn’t shout “I didn’t feel like replacing the countertops so here’s my overlay.” Frankly, I just hate the look.

• spainte2
    2 years ago

Very pretty kitchen!

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

You absolutely can get curves in a countertop. @Beth H gave you the right advice, call a stone fabricator to come and talk to you. The biggest concern when changing a countertop is not the cabinets but protection of the backsplash. Ask them about that as well.
    Can you post the color of the new floors you’ve ordered?

• M Riz
    2 years ago

I dont think that the commenters are “die hard cherry fans”, I think that pretty much every one can see quality cabinetry when you see it. Painting them would be a huge mistake. The kitchen cabinets scream contemporary, but the floors are traditional (to me). If you could change out the flooring, and probably the counters to maybe something solid colorwise, the beauty of those cabinets could be appreciated.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

Ashley H. did you happen to view any of the pictures I loaded further up in my comment?

did you like any of the ideas? I even gave you some countertop suggestions.

• Melissa Kieser
    2 years ago

I love painted cabinets but yours are just gorgeous as is. I’d replace the floor and the countertops. I’d talk to some places to ensure the can replace the counters without damage to the cabinets but they should be able to.

• ntinksrus
    2 years ago

I hope my new kitchen comes out as nice as your existing kitchen. Frankly, I wouldn’t change a thing. There are other cabinets made for painting… and your cherry cabinets are meant to be enjoyed au natural. Please do not paint them!

• chinacatpeekin
    2 years ago

Your cabinets and kitchen are so beautiful! Another vote to keep them. Regarding the curved countertops- my friend just completed her kitchen renovation, complete with a curved/ half-circle end on the peninsula. She was told that porcelain countertop material would not work with curves,but stone or quartz would not be a problem; she chose quartz, and there was no issue with fabrication.

• TBL from CT
    2 years ago

Take your photos with some measurements to a well established counter top fabricator. I'm pretty sure there will be little issue in replacing curved pieces. The cutting equipment they have now is a marvel.

I have to agree with others who love your cabinets. Please look at photos of modern natural wood kitchens - housegal had some nice inspiration. For me, the issue with your kitchen is a lack of contrast. The cabinets, floor, and counter meld together. A contrasting light floor and light counter with your beautiful cabinets will make your home fresher looking than any white kitchen with black hardware. I'm a big fan of white kitchens but not in this instance. Finding a painter that can redo cabinets properly will not be easy and will be very, very costly. Even if done well, it will look like every other kitchen and may feel like a temporary expensive fix. The right floor, counter, and back splash choices with your natural wood cabinets can be a masterpiece.

• decorpatti
    2 years ago

I just want to say that in my opinion, your kitchen, as it is, is the most beautiful of any of the others that were posted as ideas for upgrading. It does not look dated to me, and while I am not a fan of parquet, even the floor is lovely, if a bit more busy than I'd choose. As for the granite, it is a very subtle pattern and looks great with your gorgeous cabinets. I think what I love about your kitchen is that it is unique; those curves, that wood, the backsplash, the warmth from the wood and the plants! Your idea for a new floor and a change of hardware...sounds good. I would definitely NOT paint those cabinets. You would be taking unique, gorgeous cabinets and downgrading them to meh.

• Melissa R
    2 years ago

I think our pleas to not paint the cabinets are falling on deaf ears :(

Visual of white counter and white splash.

• stiley
    2 years ago

@Melissa R that's pretty with the white counter. I still think unlacquered brass hardware and fresh lighting would look good too. It's such a beautiful warm kitchen.

• decorpatti
    2 years ago

Melissa R: great mock-up of Ashley's kitchen with white counter and white backsplash, but in my opinion, even that change, however nice it looks, does not elevate the kitchen's aesthetics or make it look more current. It just looks more generic to me. Of course, what I think matters not at all, I know. What matters is it gives Ashley a better idea of what her kitchen would look like with those changes.

• cheri127
    2 years ago

I am not a die hard cherry fan but I would kill for that kitchen!!!! A modern classic and timeless in it's own right. Even the "dated" granite looks right there. I don't like the white counters with it but I think the white oak floor will look good (although I kind of like the parquet).

• JoAnn Babish
    2 years ago

Melissa, can you tell me what quartz that is that you "added" to the photo? I have a similar cabinet stain (more cherry though) and am having such a tough time deciding on light color quartz or granite. I like the one you posted above. Thanks

• ci_lantro
    2 years ago

Sounds like some diehard cherry fans out there

Not me. Not a fan of cherry at all.

I am a fan of quality craftmanship and would have chosen rift sawn white oak for those cabinets.

• Melissa R
    2 years ago

Here is a visual painting your cabinets. The internet says that SW Limewash is a match for BM Ashwood

• Melissa R
    2 years ago

@JoAnn Babish I just used the Sherwin Williams site to "paint" the countertop. It's just Pure White

• JoAnn Babish
    2 years ago

Melissa, Thanks, good job!

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

@Melissa R - Wow. Those mock-ups are super helpful. Now we need to know what Ashley thinks….

• tozmo1
    2 years ago

Add a hardwood floor (hard to pick a color to represent the white oak she mentioned)

• Caroline Hamilton
    2 years ago

I would not touch that kitchen unless you are doing a total reno (which would be wasteful IMO but you could donate a lot of the items). Any of the proposed changes you are considering will detract from the beauty of that kitchen.

• JoAnn Babish
    2 years ago

lmuhrich - do you remember the countertop you used in your former house? Thanks!

• lmuhrich
    2 years ago

Pental Akoya loved it !!!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH