SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yuliya_mi

A climbing rose that brings you joy? (Zone 6a)

Yulia_6a_Michigan
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi everyone,
I am trying to pick a climber to climb on an arbor that serves as an entrance to my garden. Full sun.
My number one priority is that it will bring me joy :). I know, it is a subjective quality!
I would like something very healthy, without a dieback in my zone. It will be in a rather high traffic area, so I am a bit concerned with the thorns but maybe it will be ok? Or maybe not advised to have a very thorny monster?
A repeat bloomer would be nice but not a must if the one flush will be relatively long and will give me that "wow" feeling.
Here is the list of climbers I have thus far and I am simply unable to pick.
- Colette
- Lunar Mist
- Zephirine Drouhin (I am growing it currently in a very shade spot and it is lovely, so I am strongly considering it for a new spot as well. But it took almost 5 years to finally show its potential)
- Bathsheba (no experience with her, but catalog description appeals to me)
- New Dawn (I heard it is a thorny monster?)
- Cecile Bruner
- Crown Princess Margareta
- Quicksilver (pretty hight on my priority because it is suppose to be very healthy and to repeat well)
- John Davis
- Renae
- Compassion
- William Baffin
- Veilchenblau
- Laguna
PHEW! Too many to choose from!
If anyone can advise against a certain rose, that's helpful too!
How do you pick that one rose to put in your garden in a prime spot? I understand that experimenting with different varieties is part of the fun, and I am all for it. But for this one spot I really would like to get a winner right away, if possible!

Comments (90)