SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jerome_gw

Roses, Jerome, the new abbey etc....

jerome
2 years ago

Hi everyone,

Jerome here and sorry for my long absences. We moved to a new facility about 14-15 months ago and it's been wonderful, but a real upheaval as well. If any of the old timers who remember me are still lurking here, I will try to give you a brief update.

The old abbey was sold to a group working with the homeless. We moved in to the new place January 17, 2021. Many (not all) of the roses from the old place moved about 2 months before we did: Fr. Ambrose and the young men in formation dug out over 100 of the rarer varieties and transplanted them to the new place. I was not involved in any of it because I was assigned to a post in San Diego at that time (October '19-October '20) and was rarely home.

Most of the roses made it very well (I think we might have lost between 2-5 plants) and many of them are doing much better here than at the old place. That said, the area we grow them in is much less extensive than the old place. We are trying to conserve water, and frankly the gardens at the old abbey began to become a maintenance nightmare, with my getting older and less spry, and just having too much to care for. We are an abbey first, and gardens are nice, but not if they monopolize too much time. This new place has a nice rose garden, but it's smaller. It may expand in the future, but we need a few years to settle in here and just get used to the new place.

I think of many of you often, and wonder how people are (excuse if I get names inaccurately): Olga; ZephieRose; Lux; Hoover; Melissa PeachieKean and so very many others. If any of you see this, best greetings to you all.

I don't have photos to post (I'll have to relearn how to do that) but hope to as soon as I can/learn how. There is no way I can be on the forum as much as in the halcyon days of the early 2000s, but I'll try to peak in occasionally. Frankly, I have really passed the baton to the younger generation, and they seem to love it. And I love to look at it; and the fragrances, whether of roses or of newly laid compost, are wonderful.

That said: the garden is still new, not even 18 months old, and it looks new. I learned at the old abbey that it took about 5 years for everything to mature to a point that it was really pretty...and it just kept getting better and better. I would imagine these new gardens will hit their mature stride sometime in 2025-26. But it will be great to watch them in the meantime.

Last thought: one thing I have noticed is how much microclimate affects the way different varieties work. The David Austins are *definitely* happier here at the new place - no comparison.

Ok, that's it from me. I hope someone sees this and greetings to all of you gardeners.

Jerome

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz