SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
allen_hayden17

1950's Bathroom wall construction, plaster over cement over drywall

Allen Hayden
2 years ago

My house was built in 1954 and has bathrooms that are (on all side) a thin layer of 1/16-1/8 white plaster, over what looks like about 1/2 inch of plaster / grey cement (?), over a 1/2 inch of drywall nailed to the studs. Can anyone school me on the terminology for this build method so I can research in depth? I want to DIY repair the damage I have along the walls behind where a sink and cabinet used to be without having the replace the entire wall to the ceiling. The drain vent pipe from the sink busted and allowed moister into the wall and the wall started "puffing" in areas (it was soft and crumbly to the touch, so it's got to go). I have demoed it in sections and wish to replace the sections as needed. Also the floor has about 2 inches of poured cement over the baseboards instead of (what I expected to find) plywood sheets. The floor had linoleum over 4 inch square tiles that came up as soon as I started pulling the linoleum up. Where the previously mentioned sink and cabinets were (which will be replaced with new), there is no cement, so I'll have to fill that in and then want to lay new larger 10 - 12 inch tiles.

Thanks for any info you are able to provide.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus