SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
palimpsest

Present and future 1st world etiquette: plastic surgery

palimpsest
2 years ago

Time was that when people I knew had plastic surgery they would come back from a "vacation" and it was likely they would be tanned, and have new glasses and a would have done something different to their hair. Females and (at that time), particularly vain males. And everybody kind of pretended that nothing happened. I never knew anyone in my family who had plastic surgery.

More recently, I feel like now there is a lead up, a discussion right before the event, opinions asked and so forth, and people openly have procedures done. And they often return to work pretty quickly. I should note that I work in an allied health field, and some of the work I do myself is cosmetic, and I could easily be certified to do botox and filler because of my background. So all of this may be a little bit more wide open in my daily circumstances. But in general I think people are way more upfront about it.

I should say that I am not usually very "pro" plastic surgery and I am pretty much "anti-" filler and Botox. In my age group meh, go ahead but I know people in their 20s getting filler and Botox, and I am not convinced that there will not be problems with injecting a toxin (especially) repeatedly, subcutaneously, for the next who knows how many decades if you are starting at 30.

One coworker has had really excellent work done, first bags under the eyes, and now a neck lift. But her surgeon does primarily corrective and reconstructive surgery (and does cosmetic to pay the bills), and he is very conservative and also does not raise expectations. It looks great and I told her it looks great. But when she got some Botox, I said "Don't do that anymore, you don't look right". I have also told a couple other people, co-worker/professionally who have gotten Botox, "Don't get it in this spot, next time". I just can't say "Yeah, great..." if I don't think so.

Anyway, two people in one workplace just came back fairly fresh from plastic surgery. One I am pretty friendly with. I can't really tell yet, because it's early but it's, I don't know, a pointy-eyed, at this point, and she said the same, but do you say "Yeah, I think so, too" because it's done. I feel like it may not necessarily be my place to agree, even if I do. The other person--I think so far it looks horrendous, and I spent the entire day yesterday looking about 30-degrees off-center when I had to talk to her. I am just afraid at some point she is going to ask me point blank what I think (she's that kind of person) and I am going to have trouble being convincing that I think it looks good, I think.

On the flip side of this is that most of these same people have pointed out what they think I could have done, mostly the bags under my eyes, and possibly a multiple scar correction because of scars around one eye which as I age is starting to make my eyelid droop when I am tired. So it's not like these things aren't presented to me as well. I won't do anything unless it presents a functional issue, mostly because I think most men look silly when they do anything around their eyelids. I'd rather have a droop than look like I had an eyelift.

Anyway this is just rambling, but I think it is something that we may end up having to discuss with people after the fact, and it may not be easy to navigate. I am not sure there is a nice but non-committal response that applies here.

Comments (52)