SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carrie_falcone

Rubber Plant: Looking for care tips and advice on old plant

Carrie Falcone
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I have had this plant since January 2020, when my Grandmother passed away and I brought it home from her house. She had this plant for years, never shaped or re-potted it from what I know. It sat on her covered screen porch, on the east coast of North Carolina. The porch was not heated/cooled, but it was shaded; got lots of bright, indirect light.

I moved it to my house, in a temperature controlled environment, in a room with large west facing windows. It was sitting about 8-10 feet from those windows initially. Seemed to adjust well, and threw off some new leaves even! I took some cuttings summer of 2020, and 1 of the 3 survived and is thriving at my sister's house; has a compact growth habit, lots of glossy, bushy growth. But my branches that I cut, just seemed to grow straight out again from the same place.

I decided to move it because people kept knocking the branches as they walked past to the bathroom. When I moved it to a corner (5 feet away, but angled from the windows), it dropped some yellow leaves, like 3 or 4 in rapid concession. And the rolled leaves that it had growing, kind of just stalled and seemed to shrivel up.

I talked to someone at a nursery at the local farmer's market, and he suggested that I was over watering; he said water twice a month. ?? I put my hand in the pot, almost up to my wrist, and it felt dry...? I could feel around and feel some pretty stout roots; they didn't feel mushy or anything. So I'm thinking that maybe the leaves yellowed due to a change of season, or change of light? And now I keep getting random leaves with this weird spot on them. Is it diseased?

I'm wondering a few things:

1.) Can I re-shape this old untrained plant?

2.) Does this plant need more light? Should I move it closer to the window again?

3.) Is this pot a problem? Should I repot in to a larger pot? Different type of drainage pot? Etc.

I'm terrified of damaging this plant and losing it.

Comments (3)