SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carrie_andrewes

Armoire Color and Living Room Layout

Carebear3117
2 years ago

I recently purchased a large solid wood armoire. The color is a bit too orangey for my taste so I plan to whitewash it, paint it or stain it. I plan to use it in my living room to house the tv and for other storage. My current color palette is cream, gray and black. I have a hard time mixing any color and wood tones in my space. What color would you paint the armoire based on what I have going already? I still need to purchased end tables and the coffee table can be painted a different color if need be. Also, does this layout look good and do you have suggestions for what would look good on either side of the armoire? I still need to add drapes, art, pillows, end tables and accessories.

Comments (40)

• Carebear3117
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Another view of the living room

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    2 years ago

I don't think it's too orangey. It offers a nice variation in the room. And if I painted it it would not be white. against the gray walls.

I would add a woven willow planter for the tree.

I would also add some patterned pillows that bring in the natural color of the wood and black for some drama

If you should decide to restain the armoire here are some examples for reference.

• Related Discussions

Living room/dining room layout design??

Q

Comments (6)
    Do you need the fireplace? It would be a great help as a room divider, but in the locations you have it, it really can't function that way. I'm assuming this would be a gas fireplace. Can it be very modern? Or does it have to be more of a traditional fireplace? Some modern fireplaces can be small and can be placed almost anywhere, which may work for you. Part of the issue is the space, once you remove the traffic area, is really a square which then needs to be divided in 2 for the 2 functions. That leaves you only about 9' or 3 meters for each function which is pretty narrow. Plus you need traffic area to get from one function to the other. Candice Olson has done some interesting dining/LR combos. Perhaps one of them will inspire you. Given the size of your area, look at the rooms where she's done a built-in banquette for one side of the dining area as a way to save space.
    ...See More

Living room color and layout

Q

Comments (19)
    Wow! Thank you for all of the feedback. i will try turning the couch and pulling it away from the wall to see which fits best. I agree we need color. There is some teal in the rug that I like. I am thinking we need the chairs to be a color to avoid adding more neutral. Maybe like this: We quickly build up clutter on any horizontal surface. The fireplace gets a lot of kid stuff. A landing zone somewhere else is a good idea. I really like the idea for a simple full width mantle. If we have a photo gallery wall on one side of the room, is it okay to do an art gallery wall on the opposite side?
    ...See More

Living room paint color, furniture color, and layout of such furniture

Q

Comments (10)
    If you want to exactly match your plan and make the house the way you want, then you should work closely not only with the workers and decorators but also with the furniture maker directly. Or find a good store selling furniture. By the way, you should also read a lot of reviews about the choice of furniture and its specificity. I can advise you to study the material on this resource https://furnishingsmaster.com/best-outdoor-rocking-chairs-review/ . This will help in your selection and your repair.
    ...See More

Awkward living room/den area combo - help with colors and layout?

Q

Comments (5)
    Dont worry about the divided floor, as long as you divide your functional groupings in the same way. That is, ok to use the smaller zone as your TV room, but only if all the furniture for that fits on that side of the walkway. Otherwise, put the TV on the wall to the right of the fireplace, and set up your seating arrangement in an L to encompass both (and maybe an extra chair or two for visitors). Then the "den" makes a natural office, etc., and you have plenty of seating in the larger space for hanging out or conversation.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    2 years ago

Alternate rugs that bring in the color of the armoire.

• Carebear3117
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@BeverlyFLAdezinger Thank you so much for your suggestions! The rug is new so I probably won’t be replacing it for a while. There is a golden color in the rug that is hard to see in the photo. It’s just less red in tone than the armoire. I think the sun has changed the color of the armoire (ambered it) as it’s raw wood and has never been stained or painted before. In the photos it looks much less red toned then it is in real like. Would you leave the color as is or stain it to a dark gray or black as you show in the photos you shared? I’m not keen on the circle shapes on the front of the armoire and they are not removeabke so my original idea was to white wash the wood to tone down the red and then do a gray wash to help blend the circles in with the mirrors a little more. I do have a wicker basket like you shared but need to get a larger one for the tree. Do you have suggestions as to what I could put on either side of the armoire?

• lkloes
    2 years ago

Leave the armoire as is. It’s interesting and is a nice contrast to your other furniture. Pretty room!

• arcy_gw
    2 years ago

It isn't orangey at all--it appears to have been white washed--maybe if you post a pic of your inspiration we would understand what you see?

• olychick
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I agree, it's the exact warmth you need in your very monotone, neutral room. It's gorgeous!!

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

IMO you need the wood for a good counter balance in the space .IMO no drapes or they need to hang from the top of the upper windows and that will not be cheap a bit of color would not hurt either so maybe a pale blue accent color and if you choose drapes then a soft blue silk would be lovely. BTW if going with drapes then I would do solar shades on those windows so you can still keep the view and control the heat and UV .

• Cecilia
    2 years ago

Looks really nice as is!

• tfitz1006
    2 years ago

I like the warmth of the wood. I also like the contrast between the wood of the armoire and the dark floor. I would focus on adding end tables and lamps. Is that a planter next to your plant? I agree that you need a better basket or something for the plant. Also, artwork.

• Carrie Andrewes
    2 years ago

@JAN MOYER Thank you for your suggestions! The armoire is unfinished, raw wood. Very rustic! I loved the style of the armoire and the storage space which is why I purchased it. Since the armoire is unfinished there are a few areas that have ambered over time. It is not too bad but quite orange in spots and uneven in tone that don't show in the photos. I may sand those areas with fine grit sand paper and then clear coat the outside of the cabinet with water based clear coat to protect it. I just recently found the cocktail table on Marketplace and love the style of it and size. What is it you don't like about the table? It is solid wood and can be stripped and stained or painted another color easily if need be. There is a tan/taupe/gold color in my rug that is quite close to the color of the cabinet but not as orange. So at least the rug sort of ties in. :)

• Carrie Andrewes
    2 years ago

@Patricia Colwell Consulting Thank you! I am planning to eventually get floor to ceiling drapes on all of the windows. I was going to go safe with a cream line pinch-pleated drape but your suggestion of pale blue also sounds nice. Here is a photo from the showhome of my home so that you can see how they did the drapes. I want to add drapes on the left windows as well. The shades on my windows are new so I would like to keep them. I am thinking of having a clear UV window coating installed on the windows as we face west and the afternoon sun is very hot. I close the blinds in the afternoon to keep the room cooler.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    2 years ago

The wood is not raw...........that's the actual finish. Many of the high end manufacturers out of LA and Restoration Hardware did this finish for many years. Is there a manuf. logo in your armoire? I thought perhaps it might be REMI or Kreiss, both from California.

If the color needs to be adjusted consider Bri Wax which comes in colors rather than paint.

I'm guessing this piece might be older than you. You have no idea the gem you have uncovered. Pieces like this were sold through Horchow and Neiman Marcus in the 90's. They are reproductions of pieces from hundreds of years ago. Maybe in a few years you will be able to appreciate all the details that you currently don't like.

IMO the piece would be better if the mirror was antiqued so that when you're sitting on the sofa you are not peering into a clear mirror.

https://www.horchow.com/p/bernhardt-campania-mirrored-armoire-cprod127450001?utm_source=google_shopping&ecid=HCCS_GP_NCXX_XXXX_XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX_XXXXXXXX&gclid=Cj0KCQjw5-WRBhCKARIsAAId9FliFJFhCy5DKrg-6Pk_04O9bx3EJXALBZxOqfk5GrIv0MXWCXKpruEaAhvcEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Carrie Andrewes
    2 years ago

@tfitz1006 Thank you! End tables and art are on the list. What color of end tables would you suggest? I like the ones below or something similar. There is a ceramic pot next to the tree that I was going to paint and use for the plant but I might instead look for a larger basket to put the tree in.

• Carrie Andrewes
    2 years ago

@BeverlyFLADeziner. It's a Trip and Bicker cabinet purchased originally in Ontario, Canada. I've also added some photos of the finish closer up. The inside of the armoire is gorgeous with a raw wood finish. In the second photo you can see the orange tone of the cabinet. More so on that left side where likely the sun discolored it at the previous owner's home. Thank you for the finishing suggestions and the video! I love to refinish furniture in my spare time and have done quite a few stained and painted pieces over the years.

• tfitz1006
    2 years ago

I might think of glass end tables or glass lamps (I got some beautiful Simon Pearce seconds lamps a few years back, check them out). Keep it light and airy.

• Carrie Andrewes
    2 years ago

@BeverlyFLADeziner I didn't know about the Horchow cabinets although this seems to be a Canadian made cabinet. I am not sure of the year it was made but a very solid piece of furniture and extremely heavy! I'm actually in my early 50's! Haha! The mirrors in the cabinet are antiqued glass. It is not that I don't appreciate the workmanship in the cabinet. I love the all of the details including the hardware and the hours of work that I'm sure went into the cabinet. I just didn't care for the circles on the front and would have wished they would have omitted them. But it is what it is. I love the smell when I open the doors and the natural wood smell is amazing!

• Carrie Andrewes
    2 years ago

@tfitz1006 thank you! I will see what I kind find for glass end tables or lamps! We don't have a big selection of home decor here in Canada so I tend to do most of my shopping at Homesense (aka Homegoods) and Amazon/Wayfair online. I also buy a lot of my pieces off of Facebook Marketplace. Haha!

• pricklypearcactus
    2 years ago

I think your armoire looks so lovely just as it is in the space. I think painting or whitewashing will wash the room out and lose the dimension. If it were my space, I'd double-down on the tone of the armoire and probably swap out or add tables with similar tones.

• Carrie Andrewes
    2 years ago

@pricklypearcactus Thank you! I like the side tables below but @tfitz1006 also thought that glass end tables would look nice in my space. The cocktail table that is there is solid wood so it could be stripped and stained or painted any color or left raw. I don't want to be matchy matchy and I'm having a hard time figuring out what color the coffee table/end tables should be. I also have an antique Heppelwhite mahoghany buffet in the alcove of this room that is in poor shape and needs refinishing. The plan was to paint it black with GF milkpaint.

• tfitz1006
    2 years ago

I really like the second ones that Carrie has.

• Carrie Andrewes
    2 years ago

@tfitz1006 Thank you! I already have this vintage wood end table below which I really love beside the sofa next to the windows, but you can't see it because the couch arms hide it. As you can see I have some bronze accessories in the room to tie in the bronze in the chandelier and wall sconces. I do like this bronze glass side table (the last photo). Am I on the right track?

• tfitz1006
    2 years ago

I love it all

• Carrie Andrewes
    2 years ago

@tfitz1006 Thank you! :)

• Julie R
    2 years ago

Your room looks gorgeous, as-is. No need to change the armoire. The only change for my personal preference would be to consider moving the sofa against the wall (if it doesn't cover that floor vent - can't tell), since you're not going to physically walk behind the sofa.

Seriously: nicely done.

• Carrie Andrewes
    2 years ago

@Julie R Thank you! I can move the sofa back slightly. It won't cover the vent at all. I was trying to "float" the sofa in the room more than against the wall. Also, once I get the tall drapes for the room they will fill in most of the space at least behind half of the sofa. As well, there is a window there which we usually open for ventilation in the summer as it's hot in this room. I feel like my sofa will get dirty being against the window. We need to splurge for air conditioning soon! It's a hard room to decorate because of the left sided windows in this room only go across half of the sofa. Please see photos below. I tried two different layouts below as well. I'm not sure which you prefer or if I should just stick with the original layout that I shared with everyone here.

• krystalmoon2009
    2 years ago

I love the armoire and color seems fine. I have an armoire housing my tv in family room and I know they have fallen out of favor for consoles and wall mounted tv's. We had this one custom made and it will be staying

• Carrie Andrewes
    2 years ago

@krystalmoon2009 . I also read that armoires are outdated but I still love the look of them and the storage of tv components that can be hidden. Everything tends to come back in style at some point and as long as you love it and it's useful then that is all that matters!

• elcieg
    2 years ago

I am not seeing orange at all...very strip pine in tone, and, IMO, a good addition of a warm tone in your room.

It is a lovely piece and thinking it would add to it if the doors were opened.

Would you take a photo of doors open, showing interior?

• Carebear3117
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@judianna20 there are orange tones mostly on the left outside which I think is from the sun changing the color. Here is the armoire with the doors open. I am planning to put my flat screen tv in the bottom most likely and that’s why there is a big space there. Thanks so much!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

I think the wood tone is a nice option to add some warmth and depth. it's a nice room and pretty cabinet.

I restore and paint all types of wood furniture, but I don't think I'd paint this.

If you feel you MUST, look into a real milk paint (The Real Milk Paint Co.) since that type of milk paint would look amazing w/the graining on the oak cabinet.

that company also sells a dark tung oil. (do not get the Tung Oil finish at the big stores. that has very little natural tung oil. that stuff is more of a varnish.) The natural tung oil may darken the wood up a bit. I've used both the dark and the light on my projects.

I'd prob do a ceruse technique on it, but this is very tedious work. looks great tho.

look into some natural wood products from Bona or some other yellow creamy oil whose name has escaped me! they use it on wood tables.

they do make a white water based stain. it's not as heavy as a white paint white-wash

Analine Dye is another option. comes in a powder that you mix w/hot water to dissolve. then you can paint it on. it penetrates the wood, dries quickly and comes in every color, even regular brown stain colors.

I've used the ebony one on my oak door. I wanted it very black, but still wanted the grain to show. the dye gives a nice black base,

which I then went over w/a black gel stain. Penofin oil in ebony finished it up.

hard to tell in the pic, but the grain is still visible.

• elcieg
    2 years ago

Still loving the piece, but your original photo shows a mirror front.

Don't focus on a slight difference in wood color...

T V will fit?

• Carebear3117
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@judianna20 yes I just shared the inside of the armoire with you. The outside has a mirror front. The tv will fit although the edges of the tv will be slightly obscured by the edges of the cabinet interior. I have a slightly smaller tv in my bedroom which I could swap out. We probably won’t watch tv much in this room as we already watch tv in our bedroom and my husband’s mancave!

• Carebear3117
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Beth H. Thank you so much for your suggestions! I have refinished quite a few pieces of furniture over the years. I haven’t dealt much with the raw wood look though. Like I said there is one part of the cabinet that has an orange tinge to it likely from the sun. I wonder if I lightly sand it with 220 grit if it would make a difference. If I keep it the cabinet the same color I would like to seal it. There are some gouges, chips, a bit of water staining and some cracking that I can either try to fix or embrace the flaws/character and just seal it as is. I usually use the varathane water based sealant below on my painted furniture. I don’t really care for wax but maybe it would be a good choice on this piece? Whatever I do to the cabinet I will be doing right in place in the house because it’s way to heavy to move again! So hopefully the product is not so stinky or toxic. What would you suggest that I do to seal the cabinet but not change the color?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

I wouldn't use the wax, you won't be able to buff it properly w/that type of grain. the rag will snag on all of those rough spots.

you could try the tung oil. or a penofin oil (they are tinted)

you could try the 220 and see if it removes some of the oxidized parts.

Rubio MonoCoat is the name of that oil that I just remembered!

the oil (penofin, rubio or even the tung) will for sure add some life into that wood. it may be all you need.

test a spot in the back or down on the side somewhere.

the brush on or spray sealer, I don't think you need. what do you think it will do for the piece? And those don't have a UV blocker anyway (if you're wanting to prevent further color change) you'd need a marine varnish for that. Penofin has the marine oil (i've used on my outdoor wood) w/the UV blocker. comes in diff colors too.

they do have a white or gray analine dye that you could use. then use the liming wax for the ceruse. top w//a satin clear coat. that could look really unique on your piece

similar to these

this one is more gray. if you did a grayish brown dye, with the ceruse, it would turn out similar.

• Carebear3117
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Beth H. Thank you. I read up on the tung oil and some of the other finishes you mentioned. Since there are scratches and gouges in the wood that I Will likely leave as is the tung oil would accentuate those marks. Ideally I want a finish to seal the wood that is totally clear that will prevent it from ambering over time and provide some protection. It’s not going to be exposed to water or get much hands on use. The finish also needs to be non-smelly. I don’t know that there is such a finish and that’s why I thought the wax would be easy. Just apply and buff. The varathane takes more work ahead of time but will provide some protection. Just not UV protection. Lol this thread went from talking about my decorating dilemma to wood finishing!

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

I like the soft color of the armoire but appreciate that it has discoloration. Maybe you can wait to attack this huge project until after the end tables, wicker plant baskets, pillows and drapes are acquired. I think you may just want to leave it alone. Then you can put some kind of protection on it to avoid more discoloring. It’s quite interesting in that room and complements your already lovely room.
    I agree with keeping the sofa off the wall.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

how do you plan on waxing that? try a small area. try buffing it w/a rag on that rough wood. you can't do it. you'll have globs of wax in the grain

• Carebear3117
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Beth H. Ok I won’t even try it! I thought I would do a very thin layer and do several coats but you’ve convinced me not to try and I don’t want to have a maintenance headache! I will leave it alone for now. If I start to see it ambering further I’ll have to do something. I’m trying to make sure I keep my blinds closed in the afternoon to keep the sun off of it! Thank you again for your suggestions!

• Carebear3117
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@RedRyder thank you! I’m going to wait a little while to clear coat the armoire. Do you think I should paint my coffee table a soft black? Or leave it as is? I’m thinking of adding some antique bronze and mirrored glass side tables like this eventually.