SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maddielee49

Cancer really does stink, feel free to skip

maddielee
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

My reason for sharing my story may be so people understand how sneaky and shocking cancer works. I had zero symptoms, have always been healthy and active. Not a clue what was going on inside of me. Of course, I’ve known people who have had cancer, thankfully most have fully recovered. I hope to join them in total recovery, but am sad that so many others have gone through the pain and angst that the last month has brought me and those that love me.

My husband and I have lived a very good life. Married 52 years with few hiccups.

Last November (2021) out of nowhere he got very sick - 3 weeks in the hospital , one week sedated on a vent. (Sepsis)

By the end of December he was home, with home health nurses, PT, OT and lots of support from family and friends.

During his last PT appointment (early February) I mentioned to the therapist that I thought I might have a pulled muscle in my right thigh. She knew my history of arthritis in the right knee and suggested I call my ORTHOPAEDIC surgeon if it got any worse. We really thought I had just been more active, while caring for DH.

After a few days I went to Urgent Care. Doc agreed it was probably a pulled muscle. Given meds and suggestion to rest as much as possible. On Feb 14, DH took me to the ORTHOPAEDIC ER because the pain had gotten worse. EXrays taken, bursitis diagnosed.

By Saturday (2/19) I could barely move. Our son got me to the ER where they were looking for an infection of the bursa….that day, an Interventional Radiologist was called in. No problem at all with the bursa.

Femur fractured in 2 places.

Fracture caused by a tumor that traveled from my lung to my hip area and basically exploded. After a full body bone scan, a spot was also found on my brain. Primary tumor is in the lung. (My Last cigarette was in the 1970s, people do wonder).

Luckily, I was accepted as a patient at a renouned Cancer Center close to our home. I was transferred to H Lee Moffitt Cancer Center on March 1. Total hip replacement done on March 3. Up and walking on March 5. Discharged to home on March 10. Have been home with PT, OT and nurses who come as scheduled.

Numerous appts at Moffitt meeting teams of experts that I have great faith in.

Hip surgeon wants the hip to heal before radiation. Will know more after my 3/31 appt, but radiation of the hip area is expected.

First radiation to the brain is on the 3/23….surgery may follow next week.

Waiting for more info about the lung spot before treatment plan is decided.

There really is very little pain with the hip replacement. (the needle biopsy of the lung hurt more.) I had heavy duty drugs while hospitalized before and after surgery. I am now at the point that I save a good pill till I need it in the middle of the night. Opiad constipation is another whole discussion, I’ll spare the details.

To say I am overwhelmed at times is putting things mildly. We are blessed with wonderful family and friends that seem to know exactly what is helpful and what is not.

Our 2 adult children have stepped up and taken care that DH and I at our numerous medical appointments with a list of questions and the calm mental state to listen to what our providers say.

I never ask ‘why me?’ but I somehow wish I had more of a clue that something was going wrong inside me.

I will never turn down a good thought, vibe or prayer. Tell people you love that you really do love them. Often.

This forum still makes me smile most times. I thought of you all when I had my 20 year old granddaughter go buy a recliner for me. Only one store within 25 miles had one for quick delivery, I’m sure it will be fine (arrives Tuesday). I know it’s big and brown and ‘it massages you grandma!’

Peace.

Comments (234)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES