SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bird_of_paradise

Please share your thoughts on MANDEVILLA

Maria Elena (Caribbean - USDA Zone 13a)
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Greetings to all from the Caribbean. I purchased this 6'' pot of Mandevilla 'Stars and Stripes' just under a year ago. This is my first and I know they require mostly direct sun, well draining soil, approx 3 waterings per week [for my climate], and slow release fertilizer. I am surrounded by beach on 3 sides, so humidity is high and it's a windy and highly corrosive salt air zone. Lowest night temp [Jan/Feb] is 68 degrees F; avg daytime temp is 84 degrees F.

I placed this plant on my sunny balcony so it can vine along the [wrought iron] railing. I also have bougainvillea, adeniums, orchids, and various cactus and succulents on the balcony, where they do well. The Mandevilla bloomed all summer, about 5 months, then began to systematically drop leaves and vine out. Unfortunately, it has not bloomed in the last 6 months. As you can see, it has tufts of very healthy leaves on all its tips but very bare stems and a couple of yard-long vines. What is causing the leaf drop along the stems? Or is this normal? Also, the roots are tight and pot-bound.

Please share your thoughts on the following steps I plan to take and how I can generally do better with this plant. Thank you.

1. Repot from current 6'' pot to 9'' pot without disturbing root ball too much. Plant a little deeper.

2. Add fast draining soil with slow-release [14-14-14] fertilizer, tsp blood meal, and top dressing of earthworm castings.

3. Remove the 3 vines and root separately in 6-node sections.

4. Replace to the same location.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting