SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jplee3

DIY Attic Cleaning, rodent proofing and air sealing?

jplee3
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi all,

Has anyone here done a DIY attic cleanup as well as rodent proofing and air sealing? I've been collecting quotes from a few different companies to do this (and some quotes for full-on replacing insulation). The first guy I had come out quoted me something super ridiculous: $12k to clean/sanitize/remove old insulation, rodent proof and air seal everything, and blow in new insulation. I got a couple quotes over Yelp and was quoted anywhere from $2500-4500 for the same scope of work. I just had another attic cleaning company come out today to look around and he suggested just doing a minimal clean-up + rodent proofing and air sealing (he didn't see a need to replace the the insulation we have and said it's sufficient and if anything we should consider a radiant barrier - I believe the insulation we have now is R19 (we are in Southern CA though, in which case I thought the minimum recommendation was R30/R38). The attic has high vaulted ceilings in some parts and there are like three gable vents). He quoted $1950 for this scope of work. If all we really need to do is rodent proof and air seal, I'm almost inclined to go buy the wire mesh and Great Stuff myself and DIY it all. Just wondering, realistically, how easy it is to really do all that. It seems a bit labor intensive and potentially dangerous crawling around on the rafters trying to get into tight spaces haha.

Best to outsource this kind of work? Our attic is roughly 1600-1700sq ft or so per the guys who actually came out and went up there.

Comments (9)