SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissaaipapa

(OT) What's going on at the farm

Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Note: I wrote this this morning and posted it, but it never showed up on the forum. Seasiderooftop's experience strengthened my suspicious that mention of a certain European country caused my post not to show up. So I invented a substitute for the country's name, which you will see below, and my revised post appeared. (I'll see if it survives this edit.)

I don't appreciate this action of Houzz.

The drought continues, with no precipitation since the snow of February 15, and no rain in the two week forecast. I estimate our total precipitation for 2022 so far at about 1 1/2". This is shaping up to be another 2017, an awful year, when the province ran completely out of water and it had to be brought in by truck over the Apennines from Genova, while we roasted in 100°-plus temperatures. Our neighbors' pond didn't go dry, and they allowed us to water our new and potted plants from that once the watering ban kicked in in June. If it happens again, at least we'll know what to expect.

I'm very much on edge on account of the war in the yellow-blue country. The European Union has made an agreement for all member states to share care of the yellow-blue country refugees, and I think we'll see a capillary spread of these unfortunates over the continent. The last I heard Italy had received about 35,000, with more to come. We've put in a request to host a family, but so far have heard nothing back from the mayor's office. Gas prices, always high by U.S. standards, have gone through the roof: the current price is about $9-$10 a gallon. God knows what will happen there and with food prices and supplies. I'm glad I'm vegetarian, my groceries should be less affected by grain shortages (I think).

I'm NEVER caught up on the garden work (or housework either, but that doesn't matter). The last few days I've been working around the Rock. This is a fair-sized outcropping in one of the fields. I may have written about it before and be now repeating myself, but, time for an update. The Rock is crumbling sedimentary stone phasing to soil, and home to a population of trees, some of them otherwise rare on our property. The most common are flowering ash, laburnums, and redtwig dogwood, with, in addition, wild plum (blackthorn), and a few oaks, wild pears, wild cherries, checker trees (Sorbus torminalis), hawthorn, and Viburnum lantana. The most striking trees are probably the laburnums: these are the largest specimens I've ever seen, multi-trunked and tree-sized; and I'm glad to have the couple of checker trees, as I know of only one other place on our property they grow, and they're a desirable species and not overly common. I'd like to have Cornelian cherry (Cornus mas), which grows close by, as well, and may plant one or two this fall in the shade of the north side. I would also like hophornbeam, which grows close by, but can't figure out a place to put it. Years ago in a burst of optimism and ignorance DH and I planted seedling flowering ash all around the base of the Rock; amazingly, most of them survived, and some have grown into young trees. That's a tough plant. There were two cultivated cherries planted at the north side of the Rock, but one has died, from age I think, and the other is senescent.

Two years ago, during the Covid quarantine, I did a thorough cleanup of the Rock, cutting down and chopping up brambles and wild clematis, pruning and cutting out dead wood on the trees, and selectively cutting and thinning wild plum and redtwig dogwood. I'm not a fan of either of these last two species, but the dogwood grows where nothing else does, and the ground needs something to do; and the thorny tangled wild plum guards the desirable trees, making it harder for the deer to get in and rub the bark off their trunks and break their branches. It's pretty in flower, too.

The cleanup is going faster this year than two years ago, the brush not having had time to recover fully. The wild plum is the worst: it suckers madly and extends its wicked branches out in all directions, and I want to leave enough to form a guard, but not more. Brambles I slaughter without compunction, and wild clematis, though it's not doing much. Things look much as they did two years ago, a little less messy, and with the old pruned matter decaying into the soil. I think the Rock will be a pleasant sight once I've finished. I ponder additions, such as Cornelian cherry, and woodland floor flowers, in which the adjacent woodland of the neighbors is rich. They're in bloom now, erythroniums, primroses, and hepaticas, and are a lovely sight. Primroses might work, as they appear to love dank shady conditions, but I think the others might demand better soil. Well, perhaps erythroniums. We do have violets which grow everywhere. All in all I'm happy with what I see, and looking forward to better in coming years.

Comments (28)