SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mark1farmer

Hello All! I going to start a hobby farm...

mark1farmer
17 years ago

I've been lurking here for a couple years, learning a lot. I've always wanted my own farm, and I just bought 20 acres in southwest New hampshire. In about 7 years, I'll be retiring and setting up a hobby farm on this land. It's presently wooded, and I want to clear about 10 acres and seed a pasture to keep a couple horses. I owned horses before, and I like to foxhunt, and have spent lots of time on *other* people's farms, so I'm not completely ignorant about farms and livestock. I used to have pet chickens when I lived (military brat) in the Philippines (along with pet monkeys, dogs, cats, rabbits, etc.)

I'm going to be roving all over this site, looking for info/advice. The very first thing I'm looking for is advice on how to go about getting the land cleared. The land used to be a pasture a long time ago, and trees later took over, and the big trees hve been logged, so all that's there now is various hardwood/softwoods, most no bigger than 12 inches diameter.

Anybody care to give me some idea about how much it would cost per acre to cut the trees down, sell or chip the trees, and grind/rip out the stumps and smooth it out a bit?

Comments (21)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor