SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amylou321

Food floof! Love required....

amylou321
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Are their certain foods that you cook ONLY to please someone else because you love them? Something fiddly or time consuming, or something gross (to you), that you were not otherwise cook just for yourself? Or even some things you buy JUST for others? ( thinking of the canned smoked oysters my mom gets for my dad gag)

Even though I say I cook with love every meal, there are some that love is REQUIRED to motivate me to spend time and energy making.

Mine:

Collard Greens-I hate these things. But my SO really likes them so I make them for him. This year, I am even trying my hand at growing them...JUST for him.

Purple hull peas- Same story as above, except the growing part. My sister grows them and I cook a giant batch of them every summer when I get them from her and freeze them in individual portions for SO. They are not something I would ever eat. But I will spend a few hours cooking them for him to have.

Chicken Dressing- This is something I really enjoy eating. But all the steps! Make the cornbread, roast the chicken, shred the chicken, all the chopping, yada yada yada. It is not something I would make just for me. But both SO and my family really REALLY like it, so I make it on holidays and by special request. I make my sister pans to keep in her freezer. She calls it her "emergency" dressing. whatever that means. I actually was quite amused by the positive reception of it. I did not make dressing for my family before this past year, them being a strictly Stove top stuffing kind of people. But I brought my sister a sample of the pan I made for SO for earlier last year, and she INSISTED that I make her 2 pans for HER thanksgiving and then INSISTED again that I make it for our family Christmas gathering. Now its a must have, of course at my labor expense.

Devilled eggs- Another thing that I like eating. But I consider them, and really anything like them, that is a single bite thing that takes multiple steps and you have to make them one by one, Fiddly. A PITA in other words. The boiling, the peeling, cutting them in half, getting the yolks out, mine have bacon so frying that, mixing, then individually refilling. GAH! I have made them for myself on very rare occasions when I was following a low carb diet, and it was bearable then because it would only have to boil and peel 2 or 3 eggs at at time for myself! But not for several years. Of course, they are begged for on holidays.

What are your "love required" foods?

Comments (37)